Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DOS Mame Cabinet - which i-pac to purchase  (Read 3195 times)

bradleyj00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2006, 05:54:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DOS Mame Cabinet - which i-pac to purchase
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:10:53 pm »
I have a DOS mame cabinet. It is running a compilation called DEFCADE, which as you may know, is a prepackaged version of DOS mame .83 and ArcadeOS. I am very pleased with it.

Currently I am using a keyboard hack, which works, but messy, and from time to time, problematic. I'd like to replace it with an I-PAC, but unsure which version to purchase. I'd also like to install a spinner and trackball.

Can someone recommend which product I should purchase?? Keeping in mind I am running DOS, which I am assuming will not accept input from a USB source.

Any advice would be apprciated.

Thanks,
Jim

aumameman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 09:50:07 pm
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
    • Arcade joystick - First attempt
Re: DOS Mame Cabinet - which i-pac to purchase
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:40:55 am »
stay clear of usb devices in dos as they are not compatible with all motherboards in a dos environment and not always PNP like in windows and linux. Depending on if you have a 2 player or 4 player cab would depend on which model to choose.  The VE (value edition) is no good for your purposes.

In summary get one of the ps2 models.
-- The Internet has you --

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 08:07:23 am »
The VE is out, as is the Mini-PAC, as the trackball/spinner interface only works in USB mode.

The KeyWiz from www.groovygamegear.com would also be an option, but it lacks EEPROM, so you have to either use the default codeset (which is very good for MAME), or program it before each use.  The DOS version of the KeyWiz software lacks the fancy GUI, but it does work.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:16:24 pm »
I have a DOS mame cabinet. It is running a compilation called DEFCADE, which as you may know, is a prepackaged version of DOS mame .83 and ArcadeOS. I am very pleased with it.

DEFECADE?
NO MORE!!

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 02:02:01 pm »
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

bradleyj00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 04:45:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Here's a little more info about defcade:

http://def.buste.de/

bradleyj00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 05:09:09 pm »
Sounds like the KeyWiz Eco 2 will do the job. What about the trackball and/or spinner? Can I simply duplicate the wiring currently used on my joystick? I assume the trackball and spinner simply tie into the up/down/left/right buttons....or will I require and additional interface for this?

Thanks again,
Jim

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:02:24 am »
Sounds like the KeyWiz Eco 2 will do the job. What about the trackball and/or spinner? Can I simply duplicate the wiring currently used on my joystick? I assume the trackball and spinner simply tie into the up/down/left/right buttons....or will I require and additional interface for this?

Thanks again,
Jim
No - you need a different interface.  RandyT just released the Opti-Wiz which should do the job - See this thread (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=47866.0)

Actually, on further review, it's not released yet, but if you're ordering an Eco, you might talk him out of one.  Or you could hack a mouse - lots of links here - http://www.mameworld.net/tigerheli/encoder/main.htm#49

Lastly, you could buy an Opti-Pac from www.ultimarc.com, but it's probably overkill for a simple trackball/spinner connection.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 09:25:27 am »
The VE is out, as is the Mini-PAC, as the trackball/spinner interface only works in USB mode.

The KeyWiz from www.groovygamegear.com would also be an option, but it lacks EEPROM, so you have to either use the default codeset (which is very good for MAME), or program it before each use.  The DOS version of the KeyWiz software lacks the fancy GUI, but it does work.

I wouldn't rule out the Mini-PAC. It's true that you won't be able to use the trackball/spinner side of  the interface in ps/2 mode but it's still cheaper than a regular Ipac.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 09:31:03 am »
I wouldn't rule out the Mini-PAC. It's true that you won't be able to use the trackball/spinner side of  the interface in ps/2 mode but it's still cheaper than a regular Ipac.
Valid point, although it's still more than the KeyWiz Eco.