Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Light Gun / Guncon2 Calibration and Issues  (Read 3978 times)

RTSDaddy2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
Light Gun / Guncon2 Calibration and Issues
« on: January 16, 2006, 12:20:53 am »
Ok - may be wrong forum, please move if incorrect.

I did research this via search on BYOAC but didn't come up with anything useful.

Here's the deal.  I bought a Madcatz Blaster gun for the PS2 today, after reading on here that they were compatible with Guncon 2 driver. 

Ok, so far so good...my TV will register the blast...I've even killed the T-Rex from Jurassic Park a few times.

My problem is calibration.  I cannot get the gun sight to stop jerking / jumping around and go where I want it to go. I bet I calibrated and re-cal'd the gun 500 times if I did it once, but to no avail (high and low sensitivity, whole nine yards).

What I'm wondering now is am I doing something else wrong.  Remember, the video signal is going through a scan converter, so I'm wondering if that's part of the problem.  Will it have to hook directly into the TV? Like I said, we're getting signal from the gun to the TV, but we can't make the sight stay still.

Also, is this a MAME issue? We're running v.94 right now, MAME32FX. Should I try something different?

Remember I have no idea what I'm doing - so please bear with me and be as specific as you can!

RTSDaddy2

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Bees! Oh bother!
Re: Light Gun / Guncon2 Calibration and Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:56:40 am »
The saga continues....

This morning I tried messing with MAME itself.  I finally got (and lord only knows how) the Lightgun X analog to register "Lightgun 1x" and Lightgun Y analog to register "Lightgun Y1"  for Jurassic Park (my wife's favorite and THE reason we got light guns - well, that and "Zero Point").

Upon doing that, the sight was still shaky, but the gun actually tracked all over the screen when I moved the gun.  I have gotten it good enough to make it through the 1st raptor cave!

Heading over to software to ask some further questions....but anything you know about Calibration would be greatly appreciated!!

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 06:04:37 am »
Hi man,
we are probably already in touch via email but I would like to answer you on the board too, reading this message I understand that you are exeperiencing the problem mainly in mame and not in desktop-mouse usage.
I suggest you to switch to AdvanceMame that has got enanched support for lightgun and their calibration.
Just be sure you are using a version higher than 0.97 and add in the advmame.rc the following lines :

device_joystick  lgrawinput
device_mouse none
device_lgrawinput_calibration none

This way you will enjoy the best lightgun gaming experience and the best multilightgun support in MAME world.

Enjoy
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 06:54:02 pm »
I really appreciate that Smog - and we may be conversing via email already, I do not know for sure (someone from the board had emailed me with the suggestion about AdvanceMAME today also). Whether we are or aren't, I appreciate that.  My wife loves shooting dinosaurs, so we're hoping this will fix our problem!

RTSDaddy2