Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plasma TV's - Widescreen Viewing  (Read 1315 times)

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
Plasma TV's - Widescreen Viewing
« on: January 15, 2006, 09:16:11 pm »
I'm looking to get a plasma tv this summer.  I was wondering if anyone here has one (or widescreen LCD / Projection) and can tell me about casual tv viewing.  If you are watching regular satellite tv will you have the black bars (4:3 Aspect) on the side of the screen if its not in HD?  Can you make all programming widescreen (16:9)?  If you can make everything you watch in widescreen does it distort the programming to where it is unwatchable? I haven't done much research yet but value the opinions of you guys here.

chopps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 02:59:28 pm
Re: Plasma TV's - Widescreen Viewing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:36:59 pm »
I have a samsung DLP tv.  I watch everything in widescreen.  If you are really picky you might not like the SLIGHTLY distorted picture, but it doesnt bother me.  IMO it looks better in widescreen than having the black bars on the side that I would in 4:3 mode.   

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 09:38:01 pm »
If your watching 4:3 on a 16:9 screen you have two options, have black bars on both sides or stretch the image out.  Most people I've seen just stretch the image out to take the whole screen, its still watchable, just adds about 20 lbs to everyone, and just makes things look a little funky.  Personally I hate watching it stretched out and prefer having the black bars.

Hurray Banana

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2016, 02:11:08 pm
  • My unique teaching style
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 04:07:47 am »
I've got a sony 32" LCD

for 4:3 viewing you can have:

black bars
Smart stretch which loses some picture at top and bottom then progressively stretches the picture from the centre out so the main part of the image isn't too distorted
or a couple of zoom modes which don't stretch but force the top an bottom of the picture off.

You get used to certain programs being stretched, I find that most of the time stretch is ok, if it bothers you on certain programs just flick the TV to 4:3 with black bars, you tend to not notice them after a while.

Most TV's at least do zoom modes.
Cheers Eric

TZ Pinball, PowerDrift upright, 4 vertical Mame cab and 8 way 2 player Mame cab