Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: {...Arcade Anthology...} - just finished spray painting, pink sucks. NEW PICS.  (Read 3498 times)

babydickonboard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2008, 08:28:56 pm
  • {/....KILL YOUR TELIVISION....\}
hello everybody!  just wanted to post some pictures on the progress on my first cabinet.  its a two person cab, fitted with a 27" t.v.  six button, two Happy comps, and dedicated 4-way + trackball will be purchased soon.  I'm also going to hook up a working coindoor. (just need to find a spare....)  allthough all the measurements and final design are my own,  the design  was definitely influenced by neo-geo cabs, space invaders, and "arcade paradise III".  i just took parts about all of the that i liked and put them together.... 

the project is currently nameless, and i am about to paint the whole thing.  i am trying to decide between all yellow, or maybe red with white pinstripes at the bottom.  ( actually I'm totally undecided on the color scheme.... ) I'm using a paint sprayer for painting.

although there are not many pictures yet to go off,  any criticism would be appreciated as i plan to build a second cab after this. ( i already have some relatives who would like to buy this.)  so if anything looks wrong in anyway, please point it out. ( design, flow of controls, shoddy carpentry, etc etc.)

<u><b>what I'm currently working on:</b></u>
additional sanding, touch up etc
painting
attaching speakers to shelf
hinging the back door ( this is taking awhile to get right )
I'm mostly getting it prepped to paint

thanks....more pics are on the way!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 06:04:19 pm by babydickonboard »

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
Re: {...another first cab...}
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:31:17 pm »
picture quality is bad, but you can kinda see how my cab sides will look....i wish i had the updated pictures w/ me....

the start of my cp.....screw holes were later filled and edges rounded out. 

my cab getting the sides leveled out....

another view of the bottom being attached to the sides....

from the front w/ the bottom attached....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:40:22 pm by babydickonboard »

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
Re: {...another first cab...} **new pics**
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 04:50:35 pm »

so i got a digital camera for Christmas.  heres some updated pics.

front side of the cab....

the top of the cp thats in the pic is just temporary until i get a trackball + spinner.  also will eventually put in a coindoor.

speaker shelf
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 07:28:21 pm by babydickonboard »

teetu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2016, 03:29:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 02:37:37 pm »
did you finish this yet?  i really like the profile of your cab a lot

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 06:58:42 pm »
Maybe he got sad no one replied to his thread and left :( 
Anyways, looks good so far, any updates?

topher0002

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 04:26:18 pm
  • "I'm constantly confused"
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:25:30 pm »
Yeah looks great....I like to know the dimensions on that one?
"True Knowledge consists in knowing that you know nothing"

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
Re: {...another first cab...} **its been some time, work begins agian**
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 07:01:18 pm »
after a looong delay due to lack of time + money, construction has once agian started up on my cab.  just got through priming and finishing the backside. heres some updated pics. 

also...my friend has offered to model the cab w/ some cad software. so all the measurements and dimensions are on there way.

rlemmon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2022, 02:54:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: {...another first cab...} **its been some time, work begins agian**
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 12:53:57 am »
Hi. Your cab looks great so far. I really like the way you designed the sides. One thing i will tel you is to use fine grit sand paper and sand beetween each layer of primer and paint. It makes a huge difference.

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
heres some more updated pictures.  i rolled on a second layer of primer, and cut the marquee out of some plexie.  i also got some locking wheels to attach to the bottom.  I really need to figure out a theme + name for the cab, cause i'm almost to the point where i need to start adding artwork.  i'm thinking of something generic, like Arcade Anthology or Game Blowout. OR maybe i'll have it in spanish/latin or something.  I'm really not all that sure.

im also trying to decide if i should spray on the coats of paint, or use a foam roller.  anybody have experience w/ the differences?

heres a picture of scoring and snapping some acrillic.

heres the locking wheels i got.  ( four of em for 25$ )

and finaaly heres how i'm thinking of putting the glass in front of the monitor.  it can slide in between the control panel and the monitor shelf.

picture of marquee... i know the metal retainer is on the inside....i had to hold the plexie up.

frontal shot
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:12:43 pm by babydickonboard »

ha-Y-n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2007, 06:16:07 pm
  • Shaka braddah
    • www.brianDAhawaiian.net
I can't see the pix, is it only me?  :dizzy:

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
does anyone else see them?

UPDATE: So after looking around the forums and the examples page, i havn't been able to find any cabinets named " Arcade Anthology " .  So....I am fairly certain that I am going to call my cab that.  unless some great idea strikes me ( which is doubtful ) i'm going to stick with Arcade Anthology.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 07:20:19 pm by babydickonboard »

escher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am
  • Out of the game for way too long

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
Just finished painting w/ my new spray painter and compressor.  heres some pics.

the first pass turned out horrible, due to the sprayer being clogged. so i soaked the tips in some mineral spirits and it cleared it right up. the second pass that i did today turned out much better, tho there are still visible lines in the paint job. this was my first time ever using a sprayer, so a medicore job was expected. i'll spray the paint on vertically next time, and im sure that will help.

:lame:
i'm also not happy w/ the color @ all.... it too pink and not enough red.  but this may be due the white primer underneath and/or it not being all the way cured.  the lady at the store assured me that it would cure red and if it dosn't i can take it back and get some more red mixed in.

-oh, and the paint i'm using is oil-based Aspen gloss enamel, and i thinned it down w/ some mineral spirits so it would go thru the sprayer easier.

i also started setting up the computer i would be using. so far its...
- pent. III (700ish mhz)
- 20 gig HD
- 256mb ram
-vga card w/ s-video out.

i started putting windows 2000 onto it, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to put win98 instead, for the performance gain.

i also ordered some white t-molding, to match my red and white joysticks + buttons. still on the lookout for a coindoor.......
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 07:09:30 pm by babydickonboard »

ha-Y-n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2007, 06:16:07 pm
  • Shaka braddah
    • www.brianDAhawaiian.net
i can see the pix now (i think it was a prob with my network or something)  damn that looks good.  what's the dimensions on your cab, if you don't mind me asking?

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
We both have the same general shape to our cabs.  It is looking good.  If you find that the paint is running in streaks up the pressure of the sprayer and see if that helps.  My sprayer said max 40 and it sprayed much better at 50.  Also took less time.   

Keep watching e-bay for a coin door.  Funny thing is that when you finally get to use the cab no one really uses the coin door.  But it does really round out the whole visual thing.

Don
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
i can see the pix now (i think it was a prob with my network or something)  damn that looks good.  what's the dimensions on your cab, if you don't mind me asking?

my friend is working on a CAD renderization, so when he gets around to doing that i'll post it w/ the measurements....

We both have the same general shape to our cabs.  It is looking good.  If you find that the paint is running in streaks up the pressure of the sprayer and see if that helps.  My sprayer said max 40 and it sprayed much better at 50.  Also took less time.   

i'm not too worried about streaks on the next coat, but how does one go about increasing  the pressure of the sprayer?  ARe the dials on the sprayer resposible for this? ( currently i have no idea what the dials do. )

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
I strongly agree with rlemmon's comment about sanding between coats.  I helped out a friend with his cab and he didn't do it.  Now it is in his basement and the lighting really draws out the scratches.  I helped my son make a chair for a class project and we put on 4 coats of semi-gloss black paint.  We used 400 grit paper between coats.  It looks glass.

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
i plan on doing some sanding between coats, but i kinda want to stay away from the super shiny glass finish if possible.  once i do another coat though, i'll decide if i want to make it high gloss, or a slightly eggshell type finish.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
I picked up an over/under coin door 4 weeks ago on ebay for $35 delivered.  Keep your eyes open.

Hey man, thanks for your comments on the party-box project.  Lets get these things done! 

I'm crazy enough to try starting two of these at once.  Well, actually, I'm picking up the parts for two, but building the countertop unit first.  The coinbox is for the full-sized cab I'm thinking of.  Stay tuned.