Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to mod and flash your XBOX for $22 (step by step and video)  (Read 28336 times)

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
Re: How to mod and flash your XBOX for $22 (step by step and video)
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 07:28:43 am »

But I don't think the softmod allows you to put in a bigger hard drive. I think having a big hard drive and playing your favorites off of it instead of the DVD drive is a great feature.

Cheers,
Craig

softmod allows you to put bigger hard drives

spystyle

• Thanks alot, now I have to build a time machine and warn myself yesterday!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2021, 02:30:18 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 12:01:04 pm »
Well I'll be. I was not aware of that.

OK, I concede. If you are allergic to soldering then go for the softmod.

Happy gaming,
Craig

J_K_M_A_N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:32:48 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 01:17:55 pm »

Happy gaming,
Craig

Or if you don't want to spend money on a chip, go for a softmod. They are way easy.

I use the hotswap method and then get the eeprom using evox. Then I use ndure 3.0 with xboxhdm and make a new drive without the ms dash on it (I think it is option 2) and lock it with the eeprom. I don't use live so it isn't a problem and it helps me out because I have an xbox that has a bad cap for the clock. This way, if I have it unplugged and I plug it back in, it doesn't go to the ms dash asking me to set the clock. It just boots into xbmc like a champ.

J_K_M_A_N

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 01:31:27 pm »

Happy gaming,
Craig

I looked at cost of chip and my non-existent soldering skills and thought I would screw it up.  Softmod was much easier for me.  If I could solder well, which will never happen, I would have gone with the chip.  Not allergic, just incompetent!  ;)

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2008, 11:32:31 pm
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007, 06:35:52 pm »
The chip and the softmod are exactley the same thing. There isn't anything you can do with a chip that you can't do with a softmod...and yeap you can upgrade the hard drive..mines packing a 500gb
Going to Mcdonalds for a salad is like going to a crack house for vitamins.

Samstag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2016, 01:41:19 am
  • That's not a llama!
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 07:01:12 pm »

Happy gaming,
Craig

Or if you don't want to spend money on a chip, go for a softmod. They are way easy.

I use the hotswap method and then get the eeprom using evox. Then I use ndure 3.0 with xboxhdm and make a new drive without the ms dash on it (I think it is option 2) and lock it with the eeprom. I don't use live so it isn't a problem and it helps me out because I have an xbox that has a bad cap for the clock. This way, if I have it unplugged and I plug it back in, it doesn't go to the ms dash asking me to set the clock. It just boots into xbmc like a champ.

J_K_M_A_N

If you want to replace the cap let me know.  I think I have an extra upgrade cap (20-30 hour) around somewhere.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 07:43:31 pm »
The chip and the softmod are exactley the same thing. There isn't anything you can do with a chip that you can't do with a softmod...and yeap you can upgrade the hard drive..mines packing a 500gb

I hope you formatted it correctly otherwise you will lose all your data when you reach a certain capacity (which I'm sure you know but I thought I would mention it for others who do not know)

If you want to replace the cap let me know.  I think I have an extra upgrade cap (20-30 hour) around somewhere.

I was trying to find a new cap but now that I have the drive without the MS dash, it is fine because it doesn't ask me anymore. :) I have it connected online and it syncs' the time so no need. But thanks anyway.

J_K_M_A_N

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 08:28:59 pm »
Yeah if you use anything above a 160 then you have to format it right...so for the newbs just stick with a 160....it's plenty of space. I'll post up a tutorial in a few days for those of you who are interested in doing this. It's easy....It's free and it works really good. Or you can use the save game exploit if you don't want to do the hotswap. And when doing a hotswap it is important to use the power from your computer to power the xbox harddrive (grounding issues) it's as simple as pulling the ide cable off right when the white microsoft word comes up at boot...and if you don't see the little white microsoft you can do the audio trick to unlock the hard drive. anyway

Red

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2017, 08:37:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2007, 11:19:34 pm »
A tutorial for us noobs would be great.  I'd like to soft mod and upgrade my XBox HD to 750gb.  Thanks.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007, 11:57:07 pm »
My mod chip has FTP on the chip.  I've had to use it at least a half dozen times when something went wrong with XBMC.  That's pretty handy.  I'm not against softmods or anything, but there are things they can't do that chips can.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:42:43 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 03:06:16 am »
Maybe I'm missing something, but XBMC in particular, when it has any booting issues (the only issue I'm aware of is a screwed up cfg file) gives you a error screen and goes into ftp mode itself.  Am I wrong on this?

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 01:27:30 pm »
I've never seen this.  I've had various problems with it, though, such as it just not loading . . . hanging on the logo, for example.  I've also had the network stuff just stop working in it.  I've also broke it myself before, like when I was moving files around, setting up the shortcut file on the C: drive once they made it so that the folder containing XBMC did not need to reside in the same partition as the .xbe file.

Really, I can't even think of all the reasons I've had to do it, but I've found the built-in FTP server very useful on quite a few occasions. 

At any rate, I do think that softmods are a really nice option for a lot of people, but chips definitely have their place (not the least of which for people who want to continue using Xbox Live). 
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 03:14:16 pm »
Softmod has FTP too :) and I can still get on xbox live by leaving the rom open and it boots straight to xbox live...and I use it. I FTP mine all the time to add new software. I'm telling you there's nothing you can do with the chip that i can't do with my softmod...except I didn't have the privilege of buying a mod chip...my mod was free. And I'm finishing up the tutorial now I'll have it up by tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:17:15 pm by psik0tik »

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 03:27:50 pm »
Actually I don't have to write a tutorial..theres plenty out there...just go here it even has pictures :)

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

And any other questions you could have here's some more tutorials..if you still have problems message me and I'll help ya out.

Here is the tut how to get eeprom from a broken xbox
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/357863

Here is the good trick for Action Replay
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/361935

Here is the tut how to upgrade hdd on softmod xbox
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/366945
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

Here is also a guide to play ONLINE for FREE
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/329607

Here are tuts how to backup games, how to create ISO and how to make bios CD.
http://xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php?p=14|39|357|358|367|#14

Here is the tut to get into #xbins
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/368866

Here is the tut how to FTP and how to edit evox.ini
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/333781

Here is the tut how to make a usb to xbox cable
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbox-usb-xbox-cable.php

Mabye Saint will sticky this for a little while.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:32:43 pm by psik0tik »

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 05:18:51 pm »
Softmod has FTP too :) and I can still get on xbox live by leaving the rom open and it boots straight to xbox live...and I use it. I FTP mine all the time to add new software. I'm telling you there's nothing you can do with the chip that i can't do with my softmod...except I didn't have the privilege of buying a mod chip...my mod was free. And I'm finishing up the tutorial now I'll have it up by tomorrow.

What?  You've gotta be kidding me.  You can't FTP just with the softmod . . . can you?  What I'm saying is that I can put a formatted, completely blank hard drive into my Xbox, and without installing a single thing on the hard drive, I can still connect to my Xbox via FTP and transfer files to said hard drive.  I'm pretty sure that your soft-mod will allow you to run unsigned code so that once you have an FTP server installed on the hard drive, such as XBMC or Avalaunch, etc., you can FTP to the box. 

Do I misunderstand?  Has the softmod really come so far?

Best Kid iPad Apps

Red

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2017, 08:37:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2007, 06:35:10 pm »
Thanks psik0tik.

Red

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 06:42:55 pm »
Yes you can ftp with just a softmod....look at the tuts I put up. I don't have a chip and I softmod and ftp all the time. I can go in my living room and ftp all day long if I want.

Edit: I think your missing the point...you don't need ftp to softmod...it's done through hotswap and a cdr. And after it's softmodded you ftp to your xbox and add game files or etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:45:55 pm by psik0tik »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2007, 07:08:03 pm »
I once did a softmod for my buddy, it sucked.

I had to plug the open X-Box in next to the open computer and boot the X-box about 100 times to get the timing just right, then throw the (powered on) hard drive into the computer within seconds, then run all these funky programs - programs I had to scour the internet for hours to find. Only to find that the programs were missing "parts" that could only be downloaded from certain IRC sites, so then I had to do it all over again. Finally I got my buddies X-Box "softmodded", it took an entire evening.

Then I sent it home with him, he decided he didn't like the front end, so he ran "Slayers" disk and accidentally killed the softmod.

So I ordered and installed a cheap hardmod. It took a leisurely hour to install, that includes everything like opening and closing the case, drinking coffee and watching TV. They are fast and easy to install. I think if I "had to" I could mod an X-box in 10 mins. And it can not be killed no matter what disk or hard drive get's put in there. It's fool proof an took me a fraction of the time it took for the softmod.

If you want to "softmod" then go for it, but don't try to fool anyone into thinking it's better than a hardmod. It isn't. It's a software substitute for the real thing.

The only thing that's "better" about it is you save $20.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:13:02 pm by spystyle »

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2007, 12:01:24 am »
Yes you can ftp with just a softmod....look at the tuts I put up. I don't have a chip and I softmod and ftp all the time. I can go in my living room and ftp all day long if I want.

Edit: I think your missing the point...you don't need ftp to softmod...it's done through hotswap and a cdr. And after it's softmodded you ftp to your xbox and add game files or etc.

Okay . . . yeah, that's exactly what I thought.  Don't get me wrong, softmod has its place, but it cannot do everything the chip can.  FTP is one of those things.  The mod itself is not doing FTP.  The mod is simply letting you run unsigned code, which you then are running from a disc.  But what if your drive won't read any of your media?  I had one of those.  I couldn't get it to read any brand of CD-R, CD-RW or DVD+R that I had.  I tried two different brands of CD-RW and two different DVD+R.  Wouldn't read anything but legit Xbox discs.  I'm sure I could've tracked down a brand that would work with it, but that's a bit of a pain, isn't it? 

Normally, when I mod an Xbox, I get the mod done, then I boot to a disc called AvaNetPrepare that formats and partitions the hard drive, then populates the entire hard drive with everything it needs including dashboards, games, emulators, roms, etc., all over FTP using boost mode.  It's wonderful.  But that wouldn't work here.  I couldn't get any discs to work.  But since I had built-in FTP it wasn't a big deal.  I just connected to the box and pushed everything over manually.  No boost mode, so I was stuck with typical FTP speeds, but it worked.

Like many many things in the computer world, a software solution can get you by, even get you by pretty well, but it is simply not as robust as a dedicated hardware solution.  It just ain't.

By the way, other things that my hardware solution does that cannot be done with software include: I can turn my Xbox on and off with the remote.  I have an LCD screen on my Xbox that displays what is currently playing, as well as allows me to scroll through my music library so I can use it as a music player without having to have the TV on, it allows me to save multiple BIOS banks saved, so I can boot to XBMC or to Linux at my leisure.  It allows me to have multiple BIOS banks saved so that if one becomes corrupt (admittedly this has only happened to me once in the two or three years that I've had my Xbox modded) I can just boot to another bank, and reflashing the corrupted bank is a cinch.  It has memory that allows me to back up my eeprom.  And that list is probably not even exhaustive.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:27:59 am by shmokes »

Best Kid iPad Apps

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2007, 07:18:37 am »

I had to plug the open X-Box in next to the open computer and boot the X-box about 100 times to get the timing just right, then throw the (powered on) hard drive into the computer within seconds, then run all these funky programs - programs I had to scour the internet for hours to find. Only to find that the programs were missing "parts" that could only be downloaded from certain IRC sites, so then I had to do it all over again. Finally I got my buddies X-Box "softmodded", it took an entire evening.

Then I sent it home with him, he decided he didn't like the front end, so he ran "Slayers" disk and accidentally killed the softmod.

So I ordered and installed a cheap hardmod. It took a leisurely hour to install, that includes everything like opening and closing the case, drinking coffee and watching TV. They are fast and easy to install. I think if I "had to" I could mod an X-box in 10 mins. And it can not be killed no matter what disk or hard drive get's put in there. It's fool proof an took me a fraction of the time it took for the softmod.

If you want to "softmod" then go for it, but don't try to fool anyone into thinking it's better than a hardmod. It isn't. It's a software substitute for the real thing.

My experience is just the opposite.  I took my XBox to my office one day and did the softmod in less than 15 minutes.  I would say its better for me based upon what I need the Xbox for, what I can do, and can't do.  I know some people will ask why I can't solder or find someone to do it.  Thats fine.  I can ask why people struggle with a softmod that's just about as easy as falling off a log...

YMMV   ;D

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2007, 09:43:16 am »

How long ago was that? I believe it used to be much harder than it is now with the ndure 3.0 and xboxhdm. I can softmod one in about 20 minutes and that is mostly waiting for the files to copy.

I have one xbox with an X3 and I have softmodded about 4 others. I will only do a softmod from now on. Mostly because I am a tight ass. :) But once you get the softmod done and get the eeprom off of it you shouldn't have any problem getting it working after some disaster. I admit, a chip is easier when something goes wrong and it can be a pain getting the DVD drive to read media but if I have the eeprom, I can hook the hard drive to a computer and fix it up in a few minutes. That is obviously not as easy as booting to the chip but I myself have never had to 'fix' a softmod. I know some people mess them up but I haven't run into that yet so this has been the best option for me.

One thing that may make it easier is I have an extra PII 500 that I use just for softmodding. It has a cd drive in it and pretty much nothing else. I have an extra long IDE cable in it and I just set up a table and have the two right next to each other. I am not sure why you had so much trouble getting the timing down just right. It should be unlocked any time you are in the MS dash.

Shmokes is also right though in that you can hook up an lcd and other things to a chip which you can't do to a softmod. I am planning on getting the add on to turn it on by remote for my X3.

Bottom line is, either way you have a kick ass modded xbox and that is the most important part!

J_K_M_A_N

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2007, 03:56:01 pm »
the newest slayers and AID have the softmod tools and hd goods all on a single disk now and everything can be installed from it alone I think.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2007, 05:31:31 pm »
This is correct I down loaded the AID 4.x version and the update from Xbins.  The Splinter Cel version hack is the quickest, and once it is on the memory card (any memory card including some Pendrives via the USB cable jobbie will do) I copied the Bios and the contents of the system files to C: all was well.  In 20 mins I had a softmodded Xbox with XBMC.

I looked at getting a 160GB drive for it, but the 8GB is plenty.

Now with those Xboxes going for £30 a pop I buy 2 every month with the view to use them as servers down the road.  You can install Damn Small Linux onto it and still have room, or you can add external USB drives.  :applaud:

Now my mind asks:  What can I do with all these servers?   :dizzy:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2007, 07:03:08 pm »
pr0n ofcourse

Just kidding

Use them to distribute MAME :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 07:04:39 pm by spystyle »

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 03:13:43 pm »

Okay . . . yeah, that's exactly what I thought.  Don't get me wrong, softmod has its place, but it cannot do everything the chip can.  FTP is one of those things.  The mod itself is not doing FTP.  The mod is simply letting you run unsigned code, which you then are running from a disc.  But what if your drive won't read any of your media?  I had one of those.  I couldn't get it to read any brand of CD-R, CD-RW or DVD+R that I had.  I tried two different brands of CD-RW and two different DVD+R.  Wouldn't read anything but legit Xbox discs.  I'm sure I could've tracked down a brand that would work with it, but that's a bit of a pain, isn't it? 

Normally, when I mod an Xbox, I get the mod done, then I boot to a disc called AvaNetPrepare that formats and partitions the hard drive, then populates the entire hard drive with everything it needs including dashboards, games, emulators, roms, etc., all over FTP using boost mode.  It's wonderful.  But that wouldn't work here.  I couldn't get any discs to work.  But since I had built-in FTP it wasn't a big deal.  I just connected to the box and pushed everything over manually.  No boost mode, so I was stuck with typical FTP speeds, but it worked.

Like many many things in the computer world, a software solution can get you by, even get you by pretty well, but it is simply not as robust as a dedicated hardware solution.  It just ain't.

By the way, other things that my hardware solution does that cannot be done with software include: I can turn my Xbox on and off with the remote.  I have an LCD screen on my Xbox that displays what is currently playing, as well as allows me to scroll through my music library so I can use it as a music player without having to have the TV on, it allows me to save multiple BIOS banks saved, so I can boot to XBMC or to Linux at my leisure.  It allows me to have multiple BIOS banks saved so that if one becomes corrupt (admittedly this has only happened to me once in the two or three years that I've had my Xbox modded) I can just boot to another bank, and reflashing the corrupted bank is a cinch.  It has memory that allows me to back up my eeprom.  And that list is probably not even exhaustive.

I understand where your coming from :) But yes I have an lcd and can turn it off and on with a remote...of course it's unsigned code. Only difference is that you run the same software I do off of the chip you installed. I run my software off the drive with the original ms dash sitting in the background so i can switch if I need to. When softmodding first came out you couldn't do anything with it. Now you can do everything. And if my box shits out I just load up the disc and it'll fix itself. It all comes down to what JK said...we have awesome boxes and we love them.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:17 pm »

But yes I have an lcd and can turn it off and on with a remote...of course it's unsigned code.

Wait, what?  You can't do those things with a softmod! 

edit: well, you can turn the box off . . . but on?

Best Kid iPad Apps

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2007, 09:49:50 am »
if you want and IR remote mod visit sickmods.net he  makes some cool remote chips that can add alot to an xbox.

it is not a softmod but a chip but there nice to have added in.

check out the Xerc line-up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:55:18 am by northerngames »

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2007, 10:56:58 am »
Well I guess I should warm up to "soft mods"

I just "soft modded" my daughter's PSP and it works a treat. I would have preferred a "mod chip" but PSP chips are expensive and difficult to install.

I uploaded my PSP "softmod pack" here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=70625.0

I guess it's possible that my bad experience with "soft modding" an X-Box does not reflect what is currently available. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime. Someone should upload a self-contained X-Box "softmod pack".

Cheers,
Craig

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2007, 11:59:46 am »
There's allot of install packages out there already.

Slayers - http://slayer.xbox-scene.com/ <---but I think this is modchip preferred
NDURE - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t411052.html
Auto - http://www.aideluxe.com/

Smoker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2011, 09:08:37 pm
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 12:31:52 pm »
I think he may be refering to a tsop and not a pure softmod. Cause if your softmod dumps out on you, you cant just boot a cd on the xbox and have everything repaired.

Now if your cheap, and have no soldering skills tsop is really the way to go. (as long as it isnt a 1.6)
I have actually done a tsop with tin foil and scotch tape(forgot to close the top of my fogger repair kit)
The only shortfall of a tsop from a real mod chip is you cant turn it off on most boxes to access xbox live.

Kane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2023, 08:05:47 am
  • What?
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2007, 05:15:06 pm »
I just softmoded my xbox the other day and had no problems with it. For me it was super easy. I didn't even do the hot swap, I just plugged my drives into my computer and went from there. Go here- http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043
for easy to follow directionson upgrading your HD. For softmoding go here- http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-183.html  It took me about 30-40 min. and that includes getting all the programs. I suggest that you guys who are knocking it give it a try it is really easy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:20:04 pm by Kane »

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53:05 pm »
I just softmoded my xbox the other day and had no problems with it. For me it was super easy. I didn't even do the hot swap, I just plugged my drives into my computer and went from there. Go here- http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043
for easy to follow directionson upgrading your HD. For softmoding go here- http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-183.html  It took me about 30-40 min. and that includes getting all the programs. I suggest that you guys who are knocking it give it a try it is really easy.

You say you didn't do the hot swap so how did you lock the drive? You need the HD key and it won't boot without the drive being locked unless you have a chip.

J_K_M_A_N

Kane

• Offline Offline
  • What?
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2007, 08:24:37 pm »
the first link I supplied contains a link to a program called XboxHDM. That program will lock and unlock the harddrives as well as get you the eeprom.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2007, 09:35:42 pm »
I use xboxhdm but I didn't know it could get the eeprom. Did you put the original in the PC and use xboxhdm to get the key to the hard drive? If so, how?

J_K_M_A_N

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2007, 11:14:07 am »
eeprom reader/writers can be made from radio shack parts for less then $5.00

those will retrieve the eeprom info the along with the hdd encycption code.

they also can unbann the console if you have another non-banned eeprom to inject.

Kane

• Offline Offline
  • What?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2007, 11:58:48 am »
I was mistaken, you must softmod the box first and make a backup of the eeprom file, then put the .bin file in the linux>eeprom folder and burn all the xboxhdm files to a disc. When you start the uprade process the program uses the backed up eeprom file to unlock your hdd.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2007, 12:29:42 pm »
I was mistaken, you must softmod the box first and make a backup of the eeprom file, then put the .bin file in the linux>eeprom folder and burn all the xboxhdm files to a disc. When you start the uprade process the program uses the backed up eeprom file to unlock your hdd.

OK. That is what I thought. I was going to say...all this time I have been doing this the hard way!

they also can unbann the console if you have another non-banned eeprom to inject.

Do you have a link to something on how to make one? How hard are they to hook up? I might want to mess around with one of those just in case I get in trouble.

J_K_M_A_N

spystyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2007, 06:21:54 pm »

Man, it sounds like you need a degree to do that. I'd sooner solder a modchip than solder a breadboard to make an eeprom reader. With the modchip the Xbox is unlocked, you don't have to mess with eeproms.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2007, 07:11:42 pm »
Yep the memory stick and splinter cel beats all that crap above. 

It always amazes me how people complicate the simplest tasks for no reason.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2007, 12:01:07 pm »
Softmodding might be slightly simpler. But it's definitely not cheaper. The cost of obtaining a suitable game plus the memory stick plus a converter to use the memory stick with a PC is going to cost quite a bit more than a cheap mod chip.

Softmodding only starts to become the cheaper option if you decide to mod several Xboxes.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson