Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: which jigsaw to buy  (Read 2814 times)

16el

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2005, 03:06:26 pm
  • I'm a llama!
which jigsaw to buy
« on: January 22, 2003, 09:16:57 am »
I'm looking at getting a jigsaw to start building a cabinet but don't know which ones are any good.  I don't want to break the bank but I want a good quality one.

Any suggestions or feedback on your jigsaws is appreciated.

Thanks.

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re:which jigsaw to buy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 10:26:23 am »
After you finish your cab, do you foresee using the jigsaw for other purposes?  Or, do you think you will just use it for you cab?  If you see yourself using it for other purposes,  get a Porter Cable.  Cuts the best. (I've used many brands.)  If you are just going to use it for your cab, get a cheaper Craftsman. Cuts OK.  With tools, you really do get what you pay for.  Contractor grade equipment is really much better.  But if it's just going to sit on a shelf, you don't need to buy the contractor grade.  

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 11:24:33 am »
I'm looking at getting a jigsaw to start building a cabinet but don't know which ones are any good.  I don't want to break the bank but I want a good quality one.

Thanks.

Also note for straight cuts you may be better off with a circular saw instead of a jig saw (although the jig is certainly good for curves/etc)  

If you aren't going to ever use the jig again, (or circular saw)... maybe renting some good ones for a weekend would be a good idea...

Whatever you do don't get the generic Walmart brand  jig saw it sucks hard...  single speed crap.

*shrug*

rampy

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 11:25:48 am »
You also might want to get one that has the orbital cutting motion.  The blade still goes up and down like every jigsaw does but it also has a slight orbital motion. (not enough for the human eye to see) but this feature helps keep blowout and splintering on the underside of the wood to a minimum. Or if you decide on a cheaper standard up/down motion jigsaw you'll want to use a crosscut blade with plenty of teeth per inch and cut very slowly. This will also reduce blowout on the underside. This rule really only applies to natural wood that has a directional grain in it like plywood or pine. If you're using partical board or mdf then you really don't get much blowout and if you do get any at all you can just run down the edge with sandpaper to get rid of the excess boogers and you won't have to worry about splinters tearing and traveling leaving you with nicks and grooves along the cutting edge.
Good luck
S.M.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 02:26:31 pm »
one thing I learned from someone here is...

if you need to cut a long straight line with a jigsaw...
use a metal ruler.. (long one...) as a guide.....
clamp it down on the side and guide your cut...
then you'll have good cuts everytime....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 04:15:40 pm »

Thanks.

I got a black and decker or skill brand jig saw for about $40. It features variable speed, variable orbit, and tool-less blade changes. You get what you pay for, I guess. I haven't really used it that much, and now half the time the blade doesn't orbit, and sometimes the blade pops out of that "tool-less" chuck.

I jig saw without orbit is useless for anything thicker than panneling.

Bosch brand blades are worth the price. They cut much better than any other brand I've tried.

Actually, if you're just making straight cuts, and you're building in MDF, and you don't need the saw for other projects later, a good quality hand saw is probably all you need.

Bob

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 07:11:18 pm »
A router has a steeper learning curve but there is almost nothing that a router can't do. If you've ever seen the Router Workshop show on Public Television you'll know what I'm talking about. It can cut, route, shape, dado, rabbit, mortise and a multitude of other things. You can also get a router for about $40. Invest in a good $10-15 flush cut straight bit with a top bearing and you can do all the basics. If you invest in more bits you can really expand what it can do.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 07:49:58 pm »
A router has a steeper learning curve but there is almost nothing that a router can't do. If you've ever seen the Router Workshop show on Public Television you'll know what I'm talking about. It can cut, route, shape, dado, rabbit, mortise and a multitude of other things. You can also get a router for about $40. Invest in a good $10-15 flush cut straight bit with a top bearing and you can do all the basics. If you invest in more bits you can really expand what it can do.

Ditto.

I hardly used a saw at all on my latest, half-finished cabinet.  The straight cuts on one side were made by using a fence with the router.  Once one side was done, it was used as the template for the other side by using a template bit.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 10:07:42 pm »
Another way to go would be to get a quality rotary tool like the Rotozip Revolution - 5 amps and you can get accessories to make into plunge router, straight edge, circle cutter, grinder, flex shaft, etc.  much better than dremel.  I've used mine to cut wood, lexan, even metal pipe and pvc.  Best tool I own.  They are expensive, but very very handy.  

Also, isn't a real jigsaw a table-top saw with a small blade that vibrates up and down? that wouldn't be too good to make a whole cab with.  Even a bandsaw would be tough to use for that.  Though a reciprocating or circular saw could do the trick.  I guess most of us have a few of each.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 10:28:50 pm »
Also, isn't a real jigsaw a table-top saw with a small blade that vibrates up and down?

I think you mean a scroll saw.  I have one, but it is only good for very small jobs.  I agree, it would only be useful for cutting braces and such.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2003, 01:24:54 pm »
Also, isn't a real jigsaw a table-top saw with a small blade that vibrates up and down?

I think you mean a scroll saw.  I have one, but it is only good for very small jobs.  I agree, it would only be useful for cutting braces and such.

you're right - i was thinking of a scroll saw.  Too many different kinds of 'saws'.  There should just be one 'Cutting-Stuff Saw', that would clear up my confusion.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2003, 03:13:07 pm »
I have a collection of power saws-
Scroll Saw
Jig saw (several)
Sawzall (several)
compound miter saw
chop saw
table saw
band saw
chain saw
circular saw (several)
framing saw
For every one there is a time and place for its use, theres a couple more that I don't have that would be nice.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2003, 09:10:21 pm »
Ahh looks like Oscar is a Harbor Frieght junkey like myself. I've bought a lotta stuff from them over the years. Some of it isn't the best quality but whenever I am in the market for some kind of oddball specialty tool that I know I probably won't ever use more then once or twice I always get it from them. They do have brand name stuff too. If you're going to use the hell out of a tool then go for the good stuff but if you don't need the top of the line and its something that will be used once a year then this is the place to buy By the way guys if you're looking for e-clips for joystick shafts they have em. Also springs,role pins,o-rings and just about any other specialty fastener out there. And they sell them in an assortment of sizes in large boxes for CHEAP. Do a search for harbor frieght tools and check out their website and get a catalog. Lots of cheap tools and supplys for cab building and anything else for that matter. " Northern Tool & Equipment " another cool place for tools and such.
"Sinistar has bad breath"