Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Miulti-panel I-PAC/OPTI-PAC interface?  (Read 1774 times)

2slk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2004, 11:38:09 pm
  • Fascinating, Captain.
Miulti-panel I-PAC/OPTI-PAC interface?
« on: January 17, 2003, 06:57:56 pm »
 Is it possible to use one I-PAC unit and interchange it with several control panels?

If someone knows how to build an interface between the I-PAC and console(s), I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance!  

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:Miulti-panel I-PAC/OPTI-PAC interface?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 07:45:31 pm »
Alot of us have done it.  My cab does.  Follow my link in my sig and go to the finished section.  Like most, I use a db25 to interface.

I will have better pics eventually once ftp access to my site is restored.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 11:54:31 am »
Is it possible to use one I-PAC unit and interchange it with several control panels?
Yes you can do it with almost any connector that you chose. I used a db25 extension cable for mine. You can even hot swap the control panel since you never unplug the interface. This is a great way to go because you can leave the expensive interfaaces in your cab and just built the controls to swap.

If someone knows how to build an interface between the I-PAC and console(s), I would really appreciate hearing about it.
I don't know of a adapter to convert Ipac to console but x-arcade sells their encoder sperately from their conplete control panel and you can buy their adapters to connect to consoles but its pricey.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

2slk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2004, 11:38:09 pm
  • Fascinating, Captain.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 01:31:22 am »
So if my understanding is correct, I can interface my control panel with the I-Pac via db25 and on the other end, interface the I-PAC to the PC via USB??

Once again, sorry. Extreme newbie here.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 01:46:34 am »
yep

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 01:15:36 pm »
So if my understanding is correct, I can interface my control panel with the I-Pac via db25 and on the other end, interface the I-PAC to the PC via USB??

Once again, sorry. Extreme newbie here.
Exactly, and you don't have to use db25, you can use any cable or plug you want. Some people use hard drive cables. A scsi hard drive cable will give you 68 wires which is enough for a 4 player control panel. 25 is just enough for 2 players as long as your not running extra buttons on your control panel.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.