Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Super Sprint - Now with more cheesecake!!  (Read 4899 times)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Super Super Sprint - Now with more cheesecake!!
« on: September 18, 2005, 08:10:34 pm »
I traded a Neo Geo cartridge for this today.

It's future is Mame, without a doubt. Almost everything is missing. It has the pedals, the wiring harness, a coin box and a medium resolution tube (without chassis), and that is pretty much it.

I WILL NOT be redoing it as a driving cabinet though, it is going to be a joystick cabinet, although I will be wiring up the pedals so they can have functionality.

I was hoping to squeeze my 27" monitor inside the monitor head, but there is no way it would fit, I would have to build a new one. So I will probably use a 21" computer monitor and save my D9200 for something it can actually fit inside of (so it might actually end up in my Frontline after all!!!).

I am completely up in the air about controls. Well, not completely up in the air, but I can't decide if I should do 3 player, or 2 player with trackball. And unsure about a spinner.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 07:42:44 am by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
Re: Super Super Sprint - 3 Player action?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 08:12:00 pm »
Also I must note, the control panel on this machine is at a magical height where it can be played either standing, or sitting in a chair. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 03:42:33 am »
Also I must note, the control panel on this machine is at a magical height where it can be played either standing, or sitting in a chair. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

And what would this magical height be?  What are you referring to when you say "chair"?  Barstool, kitchen-type chair, La-Z-Boy?
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:37:05 am »

And what would this magical height be?  What are you referring to when you say "chair"?  Barstool, kitchen-type chair, La-Z-Boy?

$125 large Office Chair from office max (which cost more than all my other furniture combined) was the test chair.

I will measure it when I get home, although the magic height is something that is going to vary by height and length of arms.

It is a really similar height to my keyboard at work though, which is perfectly usable standing or sitting.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 12:02:23 pm »

I will measure it when I get home, although the magic height is something that is going to vary by height and length of arms.

Yeah, but with you and I being similarly shaped, I'm figuring I've found a way to shortcut the process to perfect CP height! :D 

I've got a few of those types of chairs, and my kids will dig it if that'll work.  They can pull a chair up around the CP (showcase-type pedestal) for some gaming.  I work around several office buildings that seem to have someone remodeling their offices quite often, so I end up picking up their cast-off chairs and swapping 'em out for one of my more-damaged chairs.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 08:03:32 pm »
35" off the ground. Usable standing or from chairs.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 10:01:48 pm »
And darn it, I am going to have to build a new head for the cabinet, I can't even get a 19" computer monitor in there. The thing has that giant front, but then it massively angles back from every direction so that a 19" arcade monitor barely even fits.

Since I have to rebuild the head anyway, it will house a 27" monitor.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:44:09 pm »
Ok, I have stripped off the front graphics (they came off intact and will go to someone else).

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 05:45:31 pm »
Then I applied Parts Express Vinyl to the entire base.

The quality of the stuff is so so. I expected it to be a little thicker, but it looks fine once applied as long as you aren't looking for flaws.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 10:36:43 pm »
Here is the new redone speaker panel.

The white button will be the power up button, and the DVD burner is a DVD burner. I have several PC games I like to play with arcade controls (Lego Star Wars, etc), and in the past I have found crawling inside the cabinet to switch the CDROM is a terrible pain.

I am kind of non-stoked about the fact that I didn't seem to have a clean way to add any USB ports to the front panel with anything I had on hand.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 02:21:28 pm »

...and the DVD burner is a DVD burner.

I hereby dub thee "Master of Redundancy ;D

Twice!

No cards or extensions to run USB?  I dunno when you last had to/wanted to buy a motherboard, but they sent me 2 USB cards to attach to pinouts that I never used yet, mebbe you could swipe something like that from another system?  FWIW, I have 2 systems that can do it (but didn't have it already), but the pinouts from the motherboard are labeled so poorly, I wouldn't have known it if I hadn't downloaded the motherboard manual.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 03:13:31 pm »
I have several items like that, but none of them would have installed cleanly or easily.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 05:02:06 pm »
Ok, new control panel created and installed.

I covered it with two layers of black textured vinyl.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 05:21:45 pm »
I suspect I'm one of only a few who read your picture titles (learned long ago you have some creative genius in that area) and that last one is funny!

Are the player 1/2 buttons done with a sticker or paint?

billf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2022, 05:53:05 pm
  • Why ya dog-gone crazy idgit!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 05:30:45 pm »
Damn, Drew beat me to it.  I'm reading through the thread and noticed the picture titles and thought, "I have to comment on those!"

Wow, Paige you waste no time.  Almost a completely re-done cab in just a couple of days.  Impressive.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 05:45:19 pm »
The player buttons are vinyl, someone on here did them a few years ago. I think I am completely out of them now.

There are probably hundreds of oddly named images on here from me. I started doing that a long time ago because I would try to upload something named as the digital camera named it, and I couldn't because there would already be a file uploaded with that name, same thing with common names as well, so now most of them get names like that.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 08:30:00 pm »
Wiring is done.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 07:43:36 am by paigeoliver »

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
Re: Super Super Sprint - Now with more cheesecake!!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 07:43:42 am »
Note, I went against the grain and didn't use any of the special keys (like control, alt, space, etc), I wired up my player buttons to all numbers and letters. Way too many games and emulators seem to allow remappable controls, but then have exceptions related to one or more of those keys. Plus this completely eliminates the chance of anything SPECIAL happening during a game by pressing the wrong keys.

I wired the start buttons to the mouse buttons in my usual manner.

I am particularly proud of this wiring job, as there is barely any electrical tape involved, only place I used it was in fusing grounds together.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 07:03:04 pm »
NO cheesecake = Paige is a liar. >:(

;)

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 08:36:48 pm »
I managed to cram a monitor inside the stock head, not the monitor I wanted to use, but at least it is a 21".

I also recovered the head in black vinyl.

Now all the body needs is a coin door and new red t-molding. I obviously still need to construct a bezel and paint the monitor black.

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 11:27:26 pm »
Thats a freagin we-ord looking machine.  What the heck are you gonna do with it?

Anyway, good for you!

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 11:37:05 pm »
I think I have decided to remove the pedals, recover that area and then add some red lighting down there in the recess, that should be a nice touch.

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 01:10:11 am »
Are those P360's in there?  And if so what did you use for the ball top?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005, 01:12:11 am »
They are perfect 360's with heavy springs and 4" Wico Robotron handles (repro's).

The perfect 360 stick is a member of the Wico family of sticks, even though it is a happ product.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2005, 10:31:40 pm »
The computer is installed, and the front mounted power button and DVD writer are now functional.

Thankfully the monitor I used has a low power/sleep mode so I can simply turn the computer on and off with one button.

I am at 90 percent completion here. I still need to add an audio amp for the speakers. do the bezel area properly, put in the coin door, and add red t-molding.

I also plan on possibly removing the pedals, and adding some red lighting down in that recess.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 08:16:58 pm »
Here is a screenshot of my frontend in action.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 09:31:40 pm »
I think you are going to have to put a widescreen flat panel in there just like in the screenshot of your frontend.  Nice work tidying it up.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 09:48:40 pm »
The size picture displayed in the frontend changes wildly from game to game.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 08:16:31 am »
The size picture displayed in the frontend changes wildly from game to game.

If you set keep_image_aspect 0 in mamewah.ini the shot will always be the same size (albeit out of proportion).

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2013, 11:31:23 pm
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 09:58:58 am »
I think Paige misunderstands the word cheesecake.
-------------------------------------
My games: Tapper, Asteroids, Cocktail-MAME, Tron, ROTJ, Tempest, Star Wars (not working)
My wants: Warlords Cocktail