Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mod a dreamcast?  (Read 3113 times)

Abomination

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 11:18:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mod a dreamcast?
« on: September 18, 2005, 10:57:58 am »
Id like to add a dreamcast to the cab Im building but dont really want to reach in and change disks every time I change games, question is this.  I modded my xbox so I can play all my games on it so I dont have to switch disks all the time, can I do the same thing on the dreamcast, ie.. add a mod chip and hard drive to play my games on?

DreamWeb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2020, 08:36:59 pm
Re: Mod a dreamcast?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 11:35:04 am »
As far as I know.. you cannot add any kind of external storage device to the DreamCast that will allow you to play the games without swapping the discs.

Your only option (and it's not a great one at this point) is to perhaps look into the DreamCast emu that's out there.  It showed great promise when it was first released.. but it hasn't been updated in a while.  It may be dead now.

If I were you.. I'd get used to the idea of swapping the discs, unfortunately.

d.

Jeremy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 08:54:51 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 08:13:53 pm »
The dreamcast has no HD...sorry

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2024, 04:20:54 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:42:04 pm »
you best option is finding some of the user-created compilations disks...  for example, a SF comp disk is in my DC right now, with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III Third Strike, and Capcom VS. SNK all on one disk.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:29:57 pm »
you best option is finding some of the user-created compilations disks...  for example, a SF comp disk is in my DC right now, with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Street Fighter III Third Strike, and Capcom VS. SNK all on one disk.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I have some of the figthter ones and the shmups ones and I just leave the CD in for a week or two at a time and have 4 games to choose from on each CD.

WTB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2019, 10:15:35 pm
    • ihateyourband.net
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 12:43:56 am »
And although this thread really is starting to veer into no-no land...  :police: There are ways *hint: google* to create your own custom compilations. Of course, using disc images that you yourself made from your personal game discs. One such program is from the DreamAgain crew. Basically a text-based, configurable  frontend that can be altered to suit your needs. A little elbow grease, and Presto! a custom game disc. Most DC games are just "filler" (empty file allocations) anyway, so it can be easy to fit a number of games on one CD-R. Be Good!

-Matt

dennis808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2021, 08:40:00 am
  • Holy Sanwa-sticks!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 02:30:41 am »
Here's a link to a really good legal compilation:
http://www.dcevolution.net/collection_borvol2.php

All the games are mod's based on the so-called "beats of rage"-engine

Otherwise, swapping discs is the only way to go...
"Complexity is the process by which the obvious is obscured by the irrelevant." -HSW

Abomination

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 11:18:15 am
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 09:56:40 am »
Aahhh I didnt realize you could combine multiple discs, that could be my solution because there is only a few dreamcast games I want in the cab, and as far as no=no land, I actually own the factory discs to all the games I want, not to hard when you can buy them on ebay for 1-5$ lol.

Sinner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2020, 06:22:06 pm
  • Half the lies they tell about me, aren't true...
    • Geek My Gadget
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 02:25:39 pm »
Anyone have any info on modding a DC by overclocking it and anything else??

babydickonboard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2008, 08:28:56 pm
  • {/....KILL YOUR TELIVISION....\}
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 07:00:44 pm »

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:00:25 pm »
Anyone have any info on modding a DC by overclocking it and anything else??

I've got an overclocked Dreamcast I am considering selling. I understand they are difficult to overclock. The one I have is in a transparent yellow case and the clock speed is adjustible via a switch. It works really well for reducing lag in shmups with a lot of action. Unfortunately since i am prepping for a move. It may be easier to just sell it and acquire another later down stream.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 08:53:20 am »
This reminds me of my overclocked Lynx :) Some games became unplayable, some I didn't want to play in "normal" mode anymore...

pmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 12:45:15 pm »
Otherwise, swapping discs is the only way to go...

Remember those turn-table contraptions in the 60's and 70's that would drop a new 45rpm or 33.3rpm record onto the stack on the turn table after the last one finished playing? We need one of those hacked into a Dreamcast!

Here's one:

o-o

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 05:40:36 am
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 07:37:25 am »

>
I've got an overclocked Dreamcast I am considering selling. I understand they are difficult to overclock. The one I have is in a transparent yellow case and the clock speed is adjustible via a switch. It works really well for reducing lag in shmups with a lot of action. Unfortunately since i am prepping for a move. It may be easier to just sell it and acquire another later down stream.
>

Is it possible to just overclock the cpu and use regular A/V out (composite or Svideo) or will it not work at all without a VGA out mod??
I heard the graphic-chip part of the mod requires using/modding a VGA out also..

How stable is it (are there ever/commonly any games that dont work right in normal mode after?)

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 09:43:45 am »
I have used mine with a std VGA adapter for the past two months and have not had any problems playing any games that dont have problems with VGA adapters in general. I have from time to time hooked the overclocked DC to a TV using the standard cable (non VGA) and also not had problems.