Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Guncon2 to Aim Trak project w/pics  (Read 5636 times)

Deadly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 02:55:25 am
Guncon2 to Aim Trak project w/pics
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:18:53 pm »
Sorry mods - just noticed this isn't the project announcement thread please move.

Since I bought a set of Aim Traks I figured I could get my new guns ready to have the Aim Trak guts installed when they arrived.
The guns being used are the brand Yobo. I purchased these from eBay seller ID Luckygamers for $43.80 shipped.
They arrived 4 days later. Sadly I wanted the Namco Guncon2's but Portland is sold out lol.

Opening them up they look like this: Picture marked to show what my Aim Trak config will be.

I read an article where the author mentions using Arcrylic Dye. Another article I found for painting plastics mentions using Vinyl dye. The automotive store I stopped at carried the brand plastic-kote Vinyl color. I decided to choose blue and black. This stuff dries relatively quick. I suppose I had all pieces coated in about 2 hours or less. I let this stuff sit over night to cure out. Well this stuff is hard! Technically I don;t need to worry about this peeling off or getting rubbed off from use. However I use gun holders from a Lethal Enforcers cab. To prevent any future gouging on the top of the guns I decided to use Krylon Crystal Clear for added protection. Sprayed all the parts dried out in about 15 minutes. I pulled all the switches out and am going to solder the wires on to them and when the Aim Trak hardware shows up I can finish this out.
Here's where they stand:

I put the rumble pad back in to add weight back to the guns. They are way too light and feel weird without them. I doubt I'll hook them up. I also am using the rubber inserts for where the wires enter the gun. USe a drill and drill one side of the wire harness out so your your USB cable will snugly fit.

Total cost - $149.00 and my time
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:04:26 pm by Deadly »

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
Re: Guncon2 to Aim Trak project w/pics
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:34:31 pm »
I'm very impressed with your color results.  I think I'll be trying what you did to produce a pair of pink and baby blue Guncon1s for PS1. :)

Deadly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »
Thank you. These Yobo guns have soooooo many buttons and switches it's ridiculous. For the buttons I decided to color everything blue that is used and what ever else I left black. The reload and secondary button aren't shown in the pictures but they are also blue. The guns have a directional pad. I haven't made up my mind to actually wire that up or not. Can;t think of a good use for it can anyone else?

Your color choice sounds sweet. I'd like to see that!

BTW - this is to be continued when I get the Aim Trak hardware in. Should arrive late next week.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:42:10 pm by Deadly »

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »

Namco's guns for most of their cabs have long used cotton candy pink and blue, so I thought it'd be neat to have a matched set just like Point Blank used for real.  In total what did your repainting materials cost?

Deadly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:17:29 pm »

Namco's guns for most of their cabs have long used cotton candy pink and blue, so I thought it'd be neat to have a matched set just like Point Blank used for real.  In total what did your repainting materials cost?

To be honest with you I cant say I've ever seen a Point Blank up close and personal.
The paint cost $5.65 a can. The Krylon Clear probably less than $3 (Had that laying around). For round numbers $15

tdkc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2014, 01:38:29 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:07:51 am »
Just wondering if you got your Aimtraks yet?

Mine just came yesterday and I am going to try and get them going in the next day or so. I ended up painting my guns similar to yours. I did them black and red though. Is it ok if I post some pics here when they are done or should I start my own thread? Some one could probably start a Gun Projects Thread similar to the Control Panel Thread. Just a thought.

djvj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2022, 02:39:36 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:49:24 pm »
Deadly, have any pics of the insides after you finished the mods? I just bought a pair of these and would love to see placement of everything. Also, did you retain the black optical barrel, or get rid of it entirely. I think it would be ugly to be able to see right into the barrel if it was removed.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

HowTo mod GunCon2 with Aimtraks

tdkc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2014, 01:38:29 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:52:32 pm »
Deadly, have any pics of the insides after you finished the mods? I just bought a pair of these and would love to see placement of everything. Also, did you retain the black optical barrel, or get rid of it entirely. I think it would be ugly to be able to see right into the barrel if it was removed.
You have to remove the black barrel to get the AimTrak to fit. If you could some how leave in the barrel you would have to remove the lens as it would distort the line of sight to the LED bar.