Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How can I restore bass to my speakers?  (Read 5539 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
How can I restore bass to my speakers?
« on: December 22, 2002, 09:15:45 pm »
I bought a set of 2 Labtec Spin 500 speakers fro my cab.  In order to install them, I removed them from the original enclosures, and mounted them in the panel above the monitor.  They sounded great before, but the way they are mounted seems to have killed the bass!  I have since thrown away the enclosures.

Is there any way to restore the base on this setup?  I can hear some bass when I stick my head inside the cab to tinker with it.  Would some small wooden enclosures and a drilled port do anything to help direct the bass to the outside?

Thanks

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

OSCAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:How can I restore bass to my speakers?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 10:31:12 pm »
If you can approximate the internal volume and port size of the original enclosures and build your own, that should get you pretty close.  Loosely stuff a bit of polyfill (craft stores) in the enclosures to help prevent funky resonance caused by reflection inside the enclosure.

True audiophiles will say you need the Vas, Qts, and Fs specs of the drivers to build a proper enclosure, but imitating the original enclosure size should work fine for use in a MAME cab.  My previous hobby before MAME was actually speaker enclosure construction....  :)

Varying the length of the port will help tune the box if the bass is too boomy or tinny sounding.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 10:31:45 pm »
If the original inclosures had ports in the rear then that means your speakers are " bass reflex" speakers and most of the deep bass comes from the rear of the speaker so even if you do enclose them again unfortunatly they probably still won't sound like they did originally because the backs of the speakers are now inside your cabinet. Bass reflex speakers really need to be out in the open with a wall behind them so that the sound bounces off the wall and then hits your ears. On the other hand if the original enclosures did not have ports in the back then your ok. Just enclose them with some cardboard boxes and you should get your sound back. You could also stuff some fiberglass insulation inside the boxes to help force the sound forwards. Remember, If they didn't have ports originally then don't cut ports in your homemade enclosures.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 10:39:57 pm »
If the original inclosures had ports in the rear then that means your speakers are " bass reflex" speakers and most of the deep bass comes from the rear of the speaker so even if you do enclose them again unfortunatly they probably still won't sound like they did originally because the backs of the speakers are now inside your cabinet. Bass reflex speakers really need to be out in the open with a wall behind them so that the sound bounces off the wall and then hits your ears. On the other hand if the original enclosures did not have ports in the back then your ok. Just enclose them with some cardboard boxes and you should get your sound back. You could also stuff some fiberglass insulation inside the boxes to help force the sound forwards. Remember, If they didn't have ports originally then don't cut ports in your homemade enclosures.

The ports were originally in front.  The tubes were about 2" long, and about 1" in diameter.  The original enclosures were standard plastic PC speaker type housings.  I'll try some cardboard boxes and let you know how it goes...  Thanks

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 10:41:14 pm »

Sorry for the re-post, but the above statement may be slightly misleading.  Pretty much any driver can be used in either a closed box or bass-reflex cabinet.  The bass-reflex design is just a bit more flexible because it allows a more pronounced bass output with a smaller enclosure size, which is why they are so popular with mass-manufactured speakers.  The key is the port, as it tunes the enclosure to the correct frequency of the driver.  Many people actually prefer the sound of closed box speakers as they tend to sound a bit more natural.   :-\

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 10:53:51 pm »
i  like to use a banjo minnow for bass or maybe a jitter bug rig...  sometimes a good old rubber worm can't be beat for bass.

rampy

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 11:01:06 pm »
i  like to use a banjo minnow for bass or maybe a jitter bug rig...  sometimes a good old rubber worm can't be beat for bass.

rampy

LOL!!!!!

Coming Soon

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 11:21:16 pm »
Listen to Oscar 1up. He did it for a living so he knows his stuff. :) I'm only going on my past experiances back in the days of 3000 watt amps and 15" subs in the trunk of my car. Ahh the old days when I was young and stupid. Probably did have my speakers set up wrong but an $800.00 amp will make any speaker sound good  ;).
By the way MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU,OSCAR AND EVERYBOBY ON THIS SITE.  ;D ;D

Spidermonkey.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 11:28:02 pm »
Heh, not quite for a living, just a hobby.  Just building for myself, family and friends...  Much like my MAME cab hobby!   ;D

You take care too, SM, and have a great holiday season!!!