Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: slightly over complicated lightgun question.....  (Read 1458 times)

buks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
slightly over complicated lightgun question.....
« on: June 19, 2005, 05:14:30 pm »
I would like to use a lightgun (or two if possible) on my MAME cab. The slightly complicated part is that I am using a VGA to SCART cable (see this website for building details : http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html). What little I know of lightguns is that they plug into your pc and your video/tv out. Seeing as I'm using a TV but the pc thinks its a monitor will this cause problems ? NOTE : I said this was complicated and even I'm confused. The home made cable goes from the graphics card monitor socket NOT the s-video/composite/whatever. This is something to do with RGB signals but its all rocket science to me !

Incidentally, although I've not seen the output of MAME on a video monitor, I cannot recommend enought the VGA to SCART TV solution (although I understand that SCART is only a European TV Standard so this may be useless info for anyone else ?). I was previously using an Nvidia s-video out and the picture quality was not very good. Windows was unreadable, MAMEWAH was bareable and games were okay. I then switched to an ATI Radeon 9600 s-video out and the picture quality was better but still not brilliant. Reading up on stuff I stumbled accross the site I mentioned above and one quick visit to Maplins (electronics supplier) and a very kind brother who can work wonders with a soldering iron and I was up and running. Powerstrip took some getting used to and it took ages to find 800x600 resolution that worked (google came up with the good though !). I am currentlly playing GTA San Andreas in 800x600 and it looks superb - most people thing its a PC monitor its that good.

Ooops - looks like I've wandered off my own topic !

Any suggestions on the light gun would be good. Its not essential as I can use my Ultimarc trackball but I really fancy trying Area 51 and Alien the Gun using a proper light gun. And I 'll feel like a kid again :)

Many thanks in advance,

Buks

forbiddenlyrics

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2010, 03:19:34 pm
  • I'm Bart Simpson Who The Hell Are You?
Re: slightly over complicated lightgun question.....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 09:45:01 pm »
Have you looked into a GunCon2 gun? There are many topics on the main forum about it and since you are using a TV it will be a simple hook-up.

buks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2011, 06:43:25 pm
  • Squash the Sno-Bees !
    • Arcade Machine Construction
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 08:40:46 am »
cheers mate - I will search for the guncon posts in the forums.

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 10:29:15 pm »
The Act Labs PC Gun may work, as long as you are not connecting Horizontal and Vertical Sync together.   Connect it to the VGA out of your computer, and connect your SCART cable to its decoder.