Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: monitor chassis removal  (Read 634 times)

billge1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2005, 11:09:38 pm
  • Knowledge is power, so enlighten me please
monitor chassis removal
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:36:10 pm »
Probably an easy question for all you guys but thought I should ask anyway so I dont get zapped or blow the monitor.  Should I remove the monitor chassis from the monitor and remove all the excess charge if Im just going to be changing a pigtail fuse?  Its a wells gardner 25k5515.  I think that this is the only problem with it and thought I should try.  Thanks for all the help. 

MonitorGuru

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2005, 11:29:43 pm
Re: monitor chassis removal
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 04:32:52 pm »
You don't need to discharge the tube (unless you cant replace the fuse without removing the chassis+anode wire, which then of course you need to discharge the tube) but you certainly better check to see if the large filter capacitors on the chassis still have a charge (typical if a fuse is blown and it has recently been plugged in to test.

The simple test it to take a multi-meter and test both sides of the fuse when set on 200 VAC.  Is there any voltage across the blown fuse? If so, you can bet there is a charged capacitor somewhere. If not, then double check voltages across the larger capacitors, and if not, then it's safe to work to desolder and replace the fuse.

billge1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2005, 11:09:38 pm
  • Knowledge is power, so enlighten me please
Re: monitor chassis removal
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:28:35 pm »
Thank you so much, I will try that in the morning.  Ill let you know how it goes, Bill