Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Software For Designing CP Graphics?  (Read 5175 times)

M.A.M.E Power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2007, 04:25:59 pm
  • There Are So Many Games!
Best Software For Designing CP Graphics?
« on: May 24, 2005, 03:24:02 am »
Am just getting to grips with designing artwork and I am really interested in designing control panel interfaces and also cabinet side art.

My question is what is the best software to use to design these? I am currently using Photoshop which seems very verstile, can you design custom shapes within this programme? If so I guess this answers my question!

Thanks ???

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
Re: Best Software For Designing CP Graphics?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:05:28 am »
Photoshop will work fine.  Can you get more specific with what you mean by custom shapes?  I'm not sure what version you're using, but there should be a custom shape paths tool you can use.  The important part is since Photoshop is more geared toward raster images, you need to make your document 300dpi for print.

Veinman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2014, 02:40:27 pm
  • "Done" with The Legend of Mame
    • The Gelatinous Cube
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 09:28:05 am »
For me the ultimate combo is Adobe Illustrator to do most of the work, and Adobe Photoshop to prepare the image for printing.

Baker535

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2009, 11:16:40 am
  • Haha, Full member baby!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 12:01:18 pm »
You can use Photoshop with great results, the newer versions (6, 7, CS, CS2) have better tools for drawing shapes and using type. The best combination is to use Photoshop for your photographic (raster) work and lay out the rest of your stuff like type, lines and shapes in a vector program. If you stick with using Photoshop only make sure your artwork is set at a minimum of 300 dpi.

Personally, I'm in a smaller percentage... but I really hate Illustrator. I use Freehand MX as my vector program of choice for numerous reasons. Though if you like how Adobe's pen tools work you will probably feel more comfortable switching between Photoshop and Illustrator as do about 75% of the graphics market...

-baker

M.A.M.E Power

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2007, 04:25:59 pm
  • There Are So Many Games!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 12:45:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys. I am using Photoshop Elements which seems fine when creating Mamewah skins. I am looking at designing different shape control panels and need a programme which can draw them (or is this done by just drawing lines?).

How much is the illustrator programme and do you think I need Photoshop 7 or higher instead of the one I am using?

Lastly has anyone got a decent image of an ultimate arcade II side panel (both if possible?) so that I can start designing some artwork to wrap around them.

Thanks

Veinman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2014, 02:40:27 pm
  • "Done" with The Legend of Mame
    • The Gelatinous Cube
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 01:35:14 pm »
I think Illustrator is around $300.

I've never used Elements so I can't tell you what features are absent in it vs Photoshop.

For the side panel, check out the project announcements forum and look at Shell shocked. It is a UAII cab with phenomenal art.