Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dealing with programs that call home.  (Read 2117 times)

Junior2public

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2002, 03:29:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Dealing with programs that call home.
« on: November 29, 2002, 03:32:11 pm »
 :DAnybody, prompt me a link to a program (programs) which detect or close home ips. ;D

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:Dealing with programs that call home.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 06:07:02 pm »
What do you mean?

Junior2public

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2002, 03:29:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 05:06:03 pm »
What do you mean?

8) I mean short signal or message that program send to predetermined site each time internet connection established.  :D

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 09:47:56 am »
You can try ad-aware to remove known spy-ware type applications
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

or Zone-Alarm, Norton Firewall, or any other similar program to notify you of all outgoing activity and to block certain applications from accessing the internet

liche

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2007, 08:05:18 am
  • This is my BOOMSTICK!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 08:07:40 am »
Hey Junior . . .

You probably didn't know this, but this message group is for Arcade related questions only.  Go ask your general computing questions elsewhere . . .

darkmanx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2003, 04:46:57 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 01:12:26 pm »
anybody, tell me where to get things for my computer to get fast  ;D

::) ::) ::)
WHELP! As if you knew what an eternity was. Grovel before your true master!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 02:20:58 am »
Fast it is being no?  Upgrade you must..... you will....

The way of the force it is... your destiny it is being.  

But there is another..........

(do do do, do do do, do do de da la do do)

StephenH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 06:15:45 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 04:00:33 am »
Unfourtanely, the internet is not organized that way.  >:(

Instead, it is organized by IP Range Subnets, which are assigned to companies or organizations, not by city.    Just because an IP is assigned to a company's administrative or technical office in one city, does not mean it that IP is not used in another.   Data can easily be sent across the country or the world, even if the computer you are sending data to is in the office next to you, or house next to you.   For example, a trace showed that the data being sent from my office to the high school three blocks down the street from our office (both in san diego), was going all the way to chicago and then to denver to get there!  

ISPs connect to each other at "peering points".   Sometimes, ISPs do not intersect, and the data has to go farther, sometimes through three or more ISPs to get to the destination one.    For example, from my home on road runner, to get to my college (San Diego State, which uses their in-house ISP, TNS, the data must take Road Runner to ATDN (AOL Transit Data Network) then get sent to Level3 and then to CSUNet (California State University), then to SDSU TNS.  

To find out what city a computer is in, you can try running a DOS prompt, and type "Tracert <IP Address or NAME>" where <IP Address or name> gets replaced by the name or IP address (e.x. "tracert 130.191.3.100" or "tracert www.yahoo.com", and it will show all the routers it goes through.   Although, the final destiniation could be a router, or the ISP office, sometimes, in which the true location of the individual will not be known.  Often, the routers just before will have the names of cities or airport codes in their names.  You can also try VisualRoute at www.visualroute.com.

To see who a block of IP addresses is registered to, go to www.arin.net (Americas Including US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Dominician Republic, Chile, and the Caribbean), www.ripe.net (Europe including UK, France, Sweden, Swizterland, etc), www.apnic.net (Asia including China, Japan, Thailand, , Austrialla, New Zealand, etc).

:DAnybody, prompt me a link to a program (programs) which detect or close home ips. ;D