Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Well this is an interesting Ebay mishap...  (Read 2653 times)

tom61

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
Well this is an interesting Ebay mishap...
« on: November 18, 2002, 02:35:40 pm »
Well first off I win this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=730466618

He says 'Money order or Bank Checks', I thought he meant personal checks, so I send one (to aviod the extra cost of a money order). I found out, about an hour after I sent the check, that he meant cashiers check. I email him several times trying to get in touch with him about my mistake. I get no responce until I use ebay's 'ask seller a question' system,  and he replies that he replied the first message, and check was OK. I guess email systems do malfunction every now and then.

I wait patiently for the check to be showed cleared on my bank's website, nothing. I thought it should have been there by now.

I get the letter with my check back today, with a stamp saying "Return to sender" "Attempted Not Known."

Anybody have something happen like this? This is just odd.

I checked the address on letter, and it matches what he sent, and what ebay has listed for him.

I was really hoping for this control panel, it would bolt directly on my Dynamo cab, and give me a Street Fighter button layout plu some extra. :(

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:Well this is an interesting Ebay mishap...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 04:53:29 pm »
well yeah...my brother was selling a book before and someone tried to send him money like about 3 times and the money order was returned 3 times with the dumb thing>"attempt delivery unknown and stuff" then i ended up sending it COD.funny stuff >:(

PS:you bought the S-VIDEO TO RCA COMPOSITE cable right?does it make any difference if you just use regular tv though s-video?I probley shouln't even ask as i already know it wont make any difference because the signal is fed through the tvS rca jack.BUT anything interesting ????
« Last Edit: November 18, 2002, 04:57:17 pm by SNAAAKE »

tom61

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 08:29:30 pm »
Hmm... I might suggest to him that sending the package COD would work, though I'd have to pay the extra COD fees. I hope he gets in contact with me soon.

About the adapter: avoid conversion if you can! My previous video card's composite output is better than my current card's S-vid through the adapter (I bought it because my new card lacks composite out).  Colors are fine, looks nice, except there's this 'bar' that goes from top to bottom distorting the video to the left. It gets smaller with the better cable you use, so get a good cable if you have to use an adapter. I want to borrow my freind's Monster cables and see if it goes away with them.

Another odd thing is that when I plugged it into my DVD player, and used the cable I use composite with it to the adapter, everything it showed was in Black & White! Perfect picture too, no line!

Like I said, if you can aviod using it, do so, but if you're stuck with a device that only outputs S-vid get good cables to go with it.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 10:27:24 pm »
I'd consider yourself lucky, Tom... this guy has a 0 feedback rating (although everyone has to start somewhere)... and I assume he screwed up his mailing contact info pretty bad if it RTS with "attempted not known" meaning at that address there's no one by that name (I think...)

*shrug* COD might be worth the extra just so you can control the transaction a little bit i.e. I have the item in my hand and can pay for it...(if it never arrives you never have to pay... (

does that make any sense?

blah...

rampy

tom61

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 07:00:57 pm »
Forgot to post here, I got a reply to my email. It turns out he recently had a change of address, and gave me an older Box address for me to send the check to. With any luck a control panel and not a check will come back to me.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 11:18:36 am »
Sounds fishy to me, I don't like to send money to a post office box. Its to easy for them to dissapear.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

tom61

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 02:25:43 pm »
It looked more like an apartment box number than a PO Box number, so hopefully that won't be a trouble.

I am considering leaving a neutral feedback for him explaining whats going on so far(before Ebay no longer excepts feedback for that auction).

Edit: I went to go leave feedback, and found he's currently getting positive feedback from other auctions around the same time as mine. That makes me feel a bit better, so I'll probably just wait and see.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2002, 02:30:50 pm by tom61 »