Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AAC vs MP3 in terms of usability, etc.  (Read 4460 times)

sdrob04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:12:50 pm
AAC vs MP3 in terms of usability, etc.
« on: March 06, 2005, 02:57:59 am »
I'm in the process of building my first arcade cabinet and would like to have it double as a jukebox.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Re: AAC vs MP3 in terms of usability, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 05:33:19 am »
The problems with AAC, are this is heavy patented by the owners, and it costs for use.

This is why I didden't add AAC support in my own jukebox software,  but I did have a sort of extensions support instead.  There are new extension dll's on www.un4seen.com homepage (that dll I use), that (may) can add AAC support on my jukebox software (these extra dll are not tested).

Mp3 is (still) free for use for free application, or as long there was not sold for 1500$ in total per year (if i remember correct. This is of course why, it added in the most common/popular jukebox players.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 12:50:20 pm »
Mp3 is (still) free for use for free application, or as long there was not sold for 1500$ in total per year (if i remember correct. This is of course why, it added in the most common/popular jukebox players.
This actually isn't true, but those of us providing freeware players have generally been ignored. They used to have it in writing that freeware players did not need to pay royalties, but that letter has been withdrawn.  The rights holders do go after people providing freeware encoders, though.

DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox supports MP3 and OGG.  It does not support AAC, nor is it likely to in the future.

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 02:46:28 am »
My own (Arcade Music Box) support bass.dll officiel extensions (FLAC, WMA). There are a unofficiel AAC plugin DLL for bass.dll, but I have not tested it (I could corretly not to get the winamp plugin to work, mostly because it still a beta).

It may works with alterning the extensions.txt in AMB, but I have not tested it. Otherwice, there would been a better extension system in v2.0 to support all unofficiel extensions (but dll's itself would not been includede because the licens).

Otherwice good luck to trying to adding AAC support in the most common jukeboxes (not just mine, and Chris, if it possible.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 02:04:49 am »
AAC seems to be getting larger attention, but the codec isn't the best thing for encoding your music.  You're actually better off encoding to OGG or FLAC than EITHER of the two formats you're considering, but if you're looking for widespread functionality, you'll be better off encoding to MP3 and keeping AAC for your eyepod. 

I have heard that Apple is/has made tunes encoded to AAC specific to ONE player, similar to WMA's "license", and crap like that would be enough to piss me off and encode to MP3 just in case my eyepod ever went CRAP.  A backup for your music, if you will.  Eventually, something WILL happen to your eyepod, and I can almost guarantee that contacting Apple will get you the "We're so sooory, but try as we might to care, we regret to tell you that you are SOL".
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 05:04:42 am »
The annoying thing is that if you use an ipod, you have loads of aac files - i want to use them on my jukebox, but don't want to have to re-encode.

But such is life!

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 01:39:05 pm »
Yeah, but if I'm correct about the licensing thing Apple has (it may just relate to crap purchased from their iTunes offerings), you won't be able to play it on your jukebox anyway. 

Check to see if there's an AAC plug-in for EAC and follow my ripping guidelines, if you wanna rip CD's to AAC, you can do it in Burst mode in EAC to make THAT part faster, and do it in Secure mode for mp3.

I dunno if this will work for a jukebox, but the player I use for my mp3's is Foobar2000.  I'm almost POSITIVE there's an AAC plug-in for it, and you can "skin" it fairly easily to bend it to the way you want it to look. 

And in case someone's looking for another REALLY good format to rip to, APE is another good one, but you'll find an easier time finding OGG support (which ain't that easy either :-\ )

Good luck, hope that helps.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2024, 02:32:45 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:02:33 am »
The annoying thing is that if you use an ipod, you have loads of aac files - i want to use them on my jukebox, but don't want to have to re-encode.

And as of the iTunes 4.7 update, you can't even download your own songs off of your own iPod anymore.

But there is a solution....  don't buy an iPod in the first place.

There are plenty of other quality non-proprietary mp3 players on the market.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 02:44:19 am »
So I DID hear correctly on that!  Man, that's just asinine.....if I bought a friggen CD single, I could play it in ANYTHING.  That's SO damn annoying, and one more reason for me to hate the eyepod.  Don't get me wrong, I think it IS wicked-cool looking and from just playing around in the store, it IS intuitive as all get out, but for the friggen price they charge for those things - man, that's just OUTRAGEOUS!

He did say he got his eyepod as a gift, but krick is right.  Creative makes some nice players, and the Zen's seem fairly easy to upgrade to a larger drive if you want, plus they can work with a few codecs, so the choice is yours on what you wish to rip, AND, big fat bonus - all your mp3's can be transferred over to your jukebox.

Sounds like David Foley is a consultant for Apple ::)

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 04:47:11 am »
This is why, i diddent implement AAC on my jukebox.

Apple try to protect Itunes based AAC, so they only play on Ipod (like Sony own Attrack format, that have the same problems). Itunes store do not even work in Denmark yet, so I diddent test and use AAC files.

The only way to support files is maybe to have support for Winamp plugins, so AAC files must could play with Winamp and not Itunes.

Only Flac, ABE and OGG can been free to use, because they doesn't have patents on them. Flac seen do have better attention than ape.

Howover the winamp plugin for bass.dll is still in beta, so I must wait to implent that.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 05:35:32 am »
Oh, I hate itunes.

But I use EPHPOD - lets me copy music on/off the ipod easy as pie. Much nicer. The end of the day its a firewire hardrive - all the restrictions are in software.

I've used AAC plugins before - recently I found the dbmusicconverter has an AAC plugin so can convert AAC -> anything quite fast. It will convert AAC->MP4 and back fast and losslessly too if I recall correctly.

Most of my music is mp3, but with about 8 gig on the ipod it would be criminal to re-rip all of that on the pc. Worst case scenario I will convert it all to mp3, which will obviously take ages AND reduce the quality. Unless anyone adds a AAC/MP4 player plugin for a jukebox. (unlikely)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 09:42:57 am »
Well, for those jukeboxes that require Media Player, they should play anything Media Player plays.  Likewise, Howard's Dragonator Jukebox uses WinAmp, so that could be a solution too.

I have thought about looking into using Media Player to get around the legal issues related to built-in MP3 support, but of course that woud leave DOS behind. 

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 11:46:28 am »
True, but I like WinCab better  ;D

I've had to drop dos though - can't get wireless networking going on it.