Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No more MAME at Superauction  (Read 10143 times)

Raven..

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2021, 12:51:50 am
No more MAME at Superauction
« on: March 01, 2005, 12:25:25 am »
So the word on RGVAC is that Rob isn't allowing any more multigame machines at the next Super Auction.  Obviously it applies to MAME machines, but I wonder if they mean multi-pac and 4, 9, and 39-in-1 machines also.  Personally, I don;t think it's such a bad idea...as long as they disallow ALL multi-games across the board.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Re: No more MAME at Superauction
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:29:38 am »
That means no Hanaho, or *gasp* Ultracade!  :o

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 12:55:11 am »
So the word on RGVAC is that Rob isn't allowing any more multigame machines at the next Super Auction.  Obviously it applies to MAME machines, but I wonder if they mean multi-pac and 4, 9, and 39-in-1 machines also.  Personally, I don;t think it's such a bad idea...as long as they disallow ALL multi-games across the board.

Well, they are ALL unlicensed with few exceptions, so probably not.

Having not read up on the subject I'll bet it has more to do with the fact that the mame cabinets are devaluing the original games and less to do with copyright. The home buyers are buying the mame cabinets or multicabs and then not buying any more games, those same people without mame might have bought a lot more games at higher prices.

I think this actually makes me happy, as now I can bring normal games to the auction and actually get SOMETHING for them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 01:04:42 am by paigeoliver »
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 09:53:35 am »
.. Or has Mr. Foley contacted these people too!?
NO MORE!!

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 10:16:17 am »
.. Or has Mr. Foley contacted these people too!?

Ding, Ding...bet you that is the case

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 10:17:26 am »
So the word on RGVAC is that Rob isn't allowing any more multigame machines at the next Super Auction.

SteveJ34

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 12:29:40 am
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 10:33:18 am »
I don't recall ever seeing a MAME machine at the Dallas SuperAuctions but perhaps I just overlooked them.

Where these have been seen/sold at other auctions are they being auctioned as "playable" machines with software and games installed?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 10:36:06 am »
I don't think mame machines should be at an arcade auction anyway.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 11:36:14 am »
Do people actually put mame on those machines with roms?  That would be bad.

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 11:43:41 am »
Do people actually put mame on those machines with roms?
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Rendour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2005, 11:22:57 am
  • Insane Chihuahua
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 01:08:09 pm »
That's too bad if it's true. I had actually planned on selling my first cab at auction to help pay for a second cab that I would keep. I know that might not be popular around here, but I don't have the money to keep the first cab I build. I'm sure I'll find some other way to sell it, so it's not a total loss, just changes my plans a bit.
Currently in the planning stage of building a MAME cabinet.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 01:13:42 pm »
This event makes sense.  The auctions are more for collectors.  mame is not about collecting (hence why rgvac people doen't like mame).

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 01:55:26 pm »
I see them at the auctions, but most of the ops are clueless to what they are.
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

mjc0505

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2007, 10:02:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 02:11:28 pm »
" I don't recall ever seeing a MAME machine at the Dallas SuperAuctions but perhaps I just overlooked them.

Where these have been seen/sold at other auctions are they being auctioned as "playable" machines with software and games installed?"

There have been several at each of the Dallas auctions that I have attended.  Usually there are a few stand-ups and a few cocktails. 

They are fully working with ArcadeOS (usually) and ROMS installed and ready to go.  They have always sold well too from what I've seen.

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 02:15:20 pm »
I've seen the same setup with the auctions I've attended here.  ArcadeOS with maybe 15 or so vertical games ready to play.  By not allowing these things to be sold, he's really doing the sellers a favor.  It's only going to take a Namco rep one time to find these things and start nailing asses to walls.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 04:29:06 pm »
That's too bad if it's true. I had actually planned on selling my first cab at auction to help pay for a second cab that I would keep. I know that might not be popular around here, but I don't have the money to keep the first cab I build. I'm sure I'll find some other way to sell it, so it's not a total loss, just changes my plans a bit.

I wonder if you could sell it on ebay, just don't use the term MAME. Call it "Custom Built Arcade Cabinet (TM)" - I'll trademark it and grant you rights... ;D

jelwell

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2014, 03:47:21 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 06:27:40 pm »
It's against MAME's license to include MAME in any sale. I've never seen any MAME cabinet at the Costa Mesa, CA auction. I have seen multiple function cabinets, like ultracades and even jamma setups with more than one board selectable via a switch.

I can't imagine they'll ban all multigame cabinets. No one is gonna kill off Neo Geos. ;) But maybe they're trying to avoid selling the newer "home cabinets" clearly the ultracades are targeted for that lot.
Joseph Elwell.

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 06:47:52 pm »
No one is gonna kill off Neo Geos.

I am NOT!

I will admit to having been severely FRUSTRATED by them on occasion, but never to the point of actually KILLING one.

Patent Doc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2021, 12:07:33 pm
  • My wife says I'm the fastest man alive :(
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 08:24:19 pm »
Can't say I recall ever seeing a MAME machine at any auction in Atlanta.  We've certainly had our share of Multi-Williams and "multicades," but neither of these machines ran mame.  The multi-williams is a single board and the 39-in-1 etc multicades are multi-jamma machines.  I bet the multicades go because these are truly Foley's legitamate competition.  I'd be shocked if the multi-williams disappear too.  Well, as has been pointed out before...if nothing else this will increase the price of original cabs, but it will also drive away the casual collector only interested in that type of machine.  Sadly, these were always the most expensive machines at auction.

Patent Doc

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 09:53:24 pm »
There have been on average 2+ mame machines at the WI Superauctions.  If the machine has games that are playable, they are the "legal to download" handful of games you'll find, and Rob usually points out that upon sale, the new owner can contact the old owner about how to add games to it.  That was the "circumvention" used to get around that.

Also, I think they're relying on the "I built it for myself and had MAME on it, I just decided to sell it, so I shouldn't have to take MAME off it" strategy.  Whether it's legal or not, I dunno, but I'd say a large majority of the time MAME is on the cab and running.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 11:49:44 pm »
I have seen dozens of Mame cabinets at superauctions, they usually have ALL the games installed. I have never seen one without the games, no one would buy it without the games.

I severely doubt this has anything to do with Ultracade, as Superauctions isn't related to Ultracade, new machines are almost never sold at auctions, other than new cherry masters. I have been going to auctions for years and I have never seen an Ultracade at auction.

Also I have been dealing with Superauctions for years, and frankly they have a bad reputation for a reason, they are probably the most unethical outfit I have ever had repeated dealings with. It has nothing to do with the law. If they cared about the law then they wouldn't sell illegal gambling devices (that THEY OWN) in states where they are illegal.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Raven..

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 12:13:22 am »
I have seen dozens of Mame cabinets at superauctions, they usually have ALL the games installed. I have never seen one without the games, no one would buy it without the games.

I severely doubt this has anything to do with Ultracade, as Superauctions isn't related to Ultracade, new machines are almost never sold at auctions, other than new cherry masters. I have been going to auctions for years and I have never seen an Ultracade at auction.

Also I have been dealing with Superauctions for years, and frankly they have a bad reputation for a reason, they are probably the most unethical outfit I have ever had repeated dealings with. It has nothing to do with the law. If they cared about the law then they wouldn't sell illegal gambling devices (that THEY OWN) in states where they are illegal.

Exactly!

scatter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2005, 06:09:09 am
  • Don't read this! Drat, too late.
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 04:23:33 pm »
I would think it refers to the 4,9,39 in 1 boards since they have the NAMCO games. When the big stink in Baltimore happened at the AGS auction it was the "Multicade" games that were X'ed off, and they went right on selling the Multi-Williams. Funny thing is the people too cheap to use the Multicade art sold their multigames with no problems.

I am scat

Raven..

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 11:54:56 pm »
Alright, I dropped off a cab at the auction.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:19:18 am by EyeDoc »

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2005, 07:40:36 pm »
---Breaking News---

At todays Superauction in KC, KS there was (1) Mame machine, (1) 4 in 1 machine, and (1) Jakks Pacific Ms Pac machine. All sold, no questions asked. They were the 3 highest cabs at the auction with prices of +/- $575, $475, $650 :o

Seems that they are ok with selling them now?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 03:24:34 pm »
ALthough at the prices they are bringing it is no longer profitable to make them on anything other than a hobbiest level. At $575 for a 19" Mame cabinet the builder is left with $488 after fees. Assuming he managed to build it for $300, that leaves $188 profit, probably meaning he is making a fat $5 an hour or less on the cabinet.

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 03:54:50 pm »
ALthough at the prices they are bringing it is no longer profitable to make them on anything other than a hobbiest level. At $575 for a 19" Mame cabinet the builder is left with $488 after fees. Assuming he managed to build it for $300, that leaves $188 profit, probably meaning he is making a fat $5 an hour or less on the cabinet.

I agree that at those prices, I wont be wasting my time to make up a bunch of MAME cabs for auction. I might be tempted to do a Jakks Pacific cab at the $650 price point. :o We just watched the bidders duke it out with our jaws hanging open! Of course the marquee said Ms Pac/Galaga ::) and the auctioneer sold it as such. You couldn't even coin the thing up!

The one thing I will say is that the buyers at the auction yesterday were very tight and remotely interested. It was a totally different atmosphere than the St Louis auction I went to last fall.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2005, 08:43:21 pm »
It seems as if the KC auction (that's where you were at, yes, nos?) has price differences that aren't indicative of prices in other areas.  You said in another thread the highest price paid for a game was ~$650, IIRC, but I've been to many auctions where that would be the average price paid, with some going for far more than that, and the other auction reportings I've seen show the same thing. 

Mebbe I need to start making road trips to MO for their auctions....I've got access to free trailers....I could probably make a KILLING reselling them.

Fredster, mebbe we need to meet up for a road trip somewhere! ;D

Mame machines have been at every SuperAuction I've been to, and the least one has sold for was ~$500 for a GHETTO mame job that I've gotta believe no one here would look at as "worth it".  I've also been on hand to see a VERY nicely done MAME machine sell for $1350 :o  WITHOUT ROMS!
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 02:51:58 am »
The mames aren't selling for crap at the St. Louis superauctions either. My last one went for either $550 or $575 and it was the highest price one there and the only one that wasn't a buyback.

I had one sell for $400 like a year and a half ago,

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 11:47:59 am »
Paige,

At the pre-Christmas auction in St Louis didn't that 4-player MAME sell for around $2,400 or so? That price just blew me away at the time. In your experience, is the pre-Christmas auction the one to sell a MAME at?

Drew,

It's OK with me if you just stay in your designated area. We don't need no foreigners skewing our game prices down here :police:

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 02:02:25 pm »
Yes, but that one was a big old giant cabinet, and there were only 2 bidders in that auction, the person who bought it and the person who sold it. The seller spent most of the preview period showing and explaining the machine to one guy and that guy bid big and the seller bid him up big.

I sold a 21" cabinet at that same auction for $800, which is the best price I have ever gotten for one at Superauctions.

Selling mames at superauctions is a real crapshoot, and you have to guard them like a hawk, people love to screw with them, I severely doubt I will bring any more of them to superauctions.

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 02:38:13 pm »
Yup. That cabinet was HUGE. I was off playing some game when it sold, so I didn't realize that the owner was bidding it up. You would think that the guy who bought it would have noticed?

I visited with you about your cab as well. You might remember me... I stink at 4-player Pong :'(  That was actually the first time I had set my hands on a Pong machine (botleg or otherwise). It is definitely not my strong suit ;) I did practice on Arkanoid at the auction yesterday, but I still stink. You still have that one don't you?

I personally would be quite happy to get $800 for my MAME as I've only got $350 in it. But at that rate my labor would be almost free. I guess that I'll just stay with buy only at the auctions for now.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2005, 02:51:07 am »
I knew the owner of that cab, he always invests a lot more in them than I do. I'll put like $300-$400 into a 19" cab, and he will spend a grand doing a 19" cab. Mine will have an old cheapo 500 mhz comp, his will have a brand new one, mine will have an old monitor, his will have a brand new one, etc, etc, scale that up to a big cab and you see why he has to bid his up.

He had a nice 19" one at the last auction that he had to bring home, he had $1000 in it and there were 6 mame cabinets there, mine was the only one that actually sold ($575). I didn't WANT to bring mine home so I let it sell at that price. I think his got bid up a bit higher than mine, but still way less than his cost.

I am also not going to bring anything else to superauctions anymore because in the past when I have brought a single high dollar item on saturday morning they have put it in the first row, this time I brought 3 items one high dollar and 2 cheapies, they agreed to put the good item in the first row and they did, then one of the big sellers complained and they skipped my machine (and the aformentioned $1000 19" cab) and didn't do them until darn near the end of the auction.

That was a big mistake on their part, made me mad enough where I won't sell with them again, I'm not making a 100 mile round trip the day before to bring ONE game to the stinking auction. That little trick also meant they lost out on getting some higher prices too, I didn't buy ANYTHING because I didn't know how much I had to work with, there was a dedicated Neo 2-slot and a converted Midway mini that I would have went a good deal higher on if I knew I had $575 to spend. Instead I let the mini go at $75 and didn't bid on the Neo at all. I bought NOTHING at that auction.

The ironic part is that the guy who complained had to buy his 2 mames back, he actually bought them back twice, he bought them back at $500 each the first time, then had them sell them again after mine went $575 and he bought them back again for less than mine (his both actually looked nicer, but mine was the only 4-way vertical machine there, and that is what a lot of people want). I have no beef with that guy though, I know him too, he didn't realize he was complaining about someone he knew, and it was really on superauctions for going back on their word. The PROPER thing would to have simply told me that next time I had to have it there on friday to get it in the first row, not to unplug my machine and skip it.

Pipercub

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2009, 10:59:48 pm
  • My living room is a F'n arcade
    • Subaru Brat
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 08:50:21 pm »
Yeah, the Baltimore auction in 94 was a bit strange. They went through the drill of pretending they never heard of multi game NAMCO boards and refusing to sell them just as the auction was starting through the first row. Rumor was a Namco rep had shown up.  They skipped a few multi williams units and did sell a few other multi units without explaination. There was a fully restored Defender at the auction, THE reason I was there above all others was to score a Defender and this one was sweet. I was very worried that they would not sell it because it DID have a multi williams board in it and not only that, it had the selection menu enabled instead of booting up into just Defender AND it had a sign on it listing the dozen or so games it played (of course the CP was Defender only so you could not control the others...) But thankfully they did auction it and I won it. Funny though, one multi williams was outlawed and the Defender was allowed, it was based mainly on the cabinet artwork.

delta88

• I didn't try to trick anyone - Fair warning was given
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:53:16 pm
  • This place is still here?
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2005, 12:11:21 am »
this is a funny topic. I have been to auction up here in Mich to see a few members from this very board sell mame cabs with slowslowslow pc's in them..talkin 166-200mhz for the old games.. they made a few bux, A little bid up here or there to make it a worth while trip and bamm a little extra cash to buy another game.  I think its fine to sell um but just not crappy ones... thats a crime..

Heck, I have built several for friends and always get good $$ for it too. more or less they come to me and say " I saw that on internet, tv, someone elses house" I want you to build me one.. well ok.. get a nice cab, new pc and controls and away we go!  that a crime?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2005, 12:26:05 pm »
A lot of the slow, slow comp Mames you see at Superauctions might very well have been built 5 years ago or more.