Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 36448 times)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Overrated games
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2006, 11:16:24 am »
I knew two different people back in the NES days that were gaming gods in my eyes. Either one of them could beat pretty much any game either without dying, or dying very little. I remember the one girl (yes, I said girl) rented Robin Hood for nes one weekend. After figuring out how the game worked, we all sat and watched her play the game thru without dying.
The other guy was a friend of mine's brother. He was a major Battletech  player, 'nuff said.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2006, 11:28:49 am »

And the staple games, pretty much any kid could beat them.  It was a point of shame to be unable to beat Super Mario Bros.  The better players could beat it quickly with all of the warp points.  The best ones could beat it the long way without dying once.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2006, 11:39:15 am »

And the staple games, pretty much any kid could beat them.  It was a point of shame to be unable to beat Super Mario Bros.  The better players could beat it quickly with all of the warp points.  The best ones could beat it the long way without dying once.

I'll show how brave I am............

I never did beat Super Mario Bros. I
 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I guess I should go back now and do it.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2006, 11:58:01 am »
The GTA games are NOT overrated. San Andreas is a shining example of excellent story telling in games as well as game design.

---daisies---!

NO MORE!!

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2006, 12:11:23 pm »
I never beat SMB either. Didn't have it. I did beat SMB2 & SMB3 though. I can still walk right through those two.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2006, 12:14:58 pm »
I never beat SMB either. Didn't have it. I did beat SMB2 & SMB3 though. I can still walk right through those two.

-S

same here.

That's what is so neat about emulators and the save function. You can go back now and beat those games that irritated the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of you back in the day.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2006, 12:20:12 pm »

Save states aren't beating the game.  They are only finishing it.

And emulators just make the game harder with a nonstandard controller and tweaky play.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2006, 12:24:17 pm »

Save states aren't beating the game.  They are only finishing it.

And emulators just make the game harder with a nonstandard controller and tweaky play.

Say what you will, but I beat that mofo Mike Tyson DOWN!!! ;D ;D :laugh2: :laugh2:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2006, 12:26:06 pm »

Bah.  I used to be able to go all the way from Glass Joe to beating Tyson without getting knocked down once.  Probably could again with a bit of practice, haven't played that game in years.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2006, 12:38:27 pm »

Bah.  I used to be able to go all the way from Glass Joe to beating Tyson without getting knocked down once.  Probably could again with a bit of practice, haven't played that game in years.

What, do you want a cookie or something?  :lame:

Nobody cares.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2006, 12:51:23 pm »

I would like a cookie, yes.  That would be good.

Glaine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2006, 09:30:50 pm »
Well then you guys are just good. I still can't beat Contra without the Konami Code. And when I was a kid I had to use Game Genie on anything to beat it. I was probably 7 or younger. I see that pattern though, the little kids I see usually want cheats too cuz they don't understand how playing for real is rewarding yet. My nephew kills himself as soon as he runs out of bombs and just keeps bombing, dying, and coining on all my mame shooters.

And yeah, I remember trying to leave the NES on all the time so I wouldn't lose my spot. But when we got home that night Tail Spin was froze up.

I also for some reason couldn't figure out how to save games right so I was always wipping out my borther's zelda saves. Mom got really good at zelda and would earn their spots back in the game after I kept reset em.

Don't know about bad game lag and controls, I like my panel just fine for punch out and with some of the good emulators out now you can smooth the pixels out if you want and punch out will look as smooth as a shockwave flash game.

O yeah, and here - *cookie*. Don't let em knock you down! Mash the pad and buttons to get up!

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2006, 11:12:14 pm »

What, do you want a cookie or something?  :lame:

Nobody cares.

Bah, that's just typical Debbie's replys in threads.  You da man Chad!

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2006, 11:29:44 pm »

This was me too.  I owned Mike Tyson's Punchout (I mean that figuratively and literally, I suppose).  I TKO'd Super Macho Man  the first time I'd ever played, or even seen him -- mighta been in the first round, but I don't remember that.  I could TKO Tyson in round 2.

Weird thing, though, I've played it some on the emulator on my Xbox recently and I can't figure out Sandman for the life of me.  I don't know if the timing is off on the emulator or if Sandman is seriously NOT like riding a bike.  I breezed past everybody, remembering most the tricks and patterns, 'till I hit him and I couldn't beat him.  I can still beat Tyson, but I did forget how to counter his little blink-jab thing he does, especially when he does it like fifteen times in a row at the beginning of Round 2.  Actually, now that I say that I think it suddenly hit me that you're supposed to block once, dodge once, block once, dodge once, etc.  I'll have to try that.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2006, 08:46:39 am »

You can't emulate MT Punchout.  It just doesn't work, the timing has to be so dead on perfect, the controller perfectly responsive, or you can't beat the game.  I tried this game on the DC emu last year, couldn't get close to beating it.  Tried on a PC emu, got further but the timing was still off.  This is why I don't like emulators for the really hard games.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2006, 01:00:56 pm »

You can't emulate MT Punchout.  It just doesn't work, the timing has to be so dead on perfect, the controller perfectly responsive, or you can't beat the game.  I tried this game on the DC emu last year, couldn't get close to beating it.  Tried on a PC emu, got further but the timing was still off.  This is why I don't like emulators for the really hard games.

I use fceu and MY punchout works great.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2006, 08:41:27 am »

Can you beat it without save states?  That's the only way to reliably measure that, IMO.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2006, 08:44:58 am »
I could reach Mike tyson back in the day, but I never actually beat him. Of course I used save points to beat him on the emulator. It was a closure thing... ;)

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2006, 12:48:10 pm »
I can get as far as I could back then. Which isn't saying much, I still can't get past Bald Bull. No save states. And Tyson...sheesh that guy was near impossible. My brother still has the password memorized to go straight to him.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2006, 01:09:59 pm »
007 363 5963

That's from memory.  I think that's it's right.  The only code I've possibly entered more is the Contra one.  And maybe Justin Bailey.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2006, 01:28:08 pm »

My foggy memory tells me its the right format and at least very close.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2006, 09:07:01 pm »
Yeah I think thats preatty close if not right.

I forgot about Justin Bailey! I put that on the cab when I'm working sometimes cuz I like the intro song a lot still.

The worst password I kinda remember was Metal Gear, there was one like F* Me and then all 4s or all 9s or sumthin. And the f word was spelled out. Using that cheat put you near the end of the game but with little health or anything useful to fight with. Pretty appropriate title I guess, I'm just surprised thats what they picked. Kinda like when there are frames of bad words in a Disney film.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2006, 02:52:48 am »
I remember one time I got out Mike Tysons punchout after a long hiatus. I got to King Hippo and had forgot the trick to beating him. Wow I got sooo pissed until I finally remembered....then I just felt like a  :tool:. ;D

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2006, 08:49:08 am »
The GTA games are NOT overrated. San Andreas is a shining example of excellent story telling in games as well as game design.

---daisies---!

GTA Vice City is a fantastic game.  I love it in that you can either follow the story or just go about randomly killing, er, exploring.   8)

I can't get into San Andreas, tho.  WAAAAAY to "thug" for me.  Vice was cool - Italian guy, Mafia, set in the 80's, etc.  San Andreas had the ghetto thing going and I pretty much hate that crap so it killed the game for me.  :(

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2006, 04:05:20 pm »

---daisies---!

GTA Vice City is a fantastic game.  I love it in that you can either follow the story or just go about randomly killing, er, exploring.   8)

I can't get into San Andreas, tho.  WAAAAAY to "thug" for me.  Vice was cool - Italian guy, Mafia, set in the 80's, etc.  San Andreas had the ghetto thing going and I pretty much hate that crap so it killed the game for me.  :(
Same here.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »
That's too bad.  San Andreas is a superior game, overall.  You should give it another chance.  The writing and scenarios, the locations, the characters, the vehicles.  It just outdoes Vice City in every way.  Vice City was absolutely brilliant too.  But you're missing out on something incredible if you don't give it another shot.  Trust me, it won't take long before you're sucked in and engrossed by the story.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2006, 09:33:13 am »
Well the other part is I like to wait till stuff drops to the $20 and below region. I probably will play it latter, but you can't deny that disliking the whole theme of the game is a valid reason to not like it.

And it always seems like GTA is like Windows, they upgrade 5 things and tell you its a brand new system. What did VC add besides much smoother graphics and helicopters? Not much, but I still like the theme and plot line better. And I don't just drive around, so the plot is important. No Thug Loving is a good thing.

delta88

• I didn't try to trick anyone - Fair warning was given
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:53:16 pm
  • This place is still here?
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2006, 10:19:49 pm »
oPOEN UP MAME AND PICK A GAME, ANY GOAME...baam!!!!! OVERrATEd!!!!!!1 :laugh2: :soapbox: :spam: :tool: :timebomb: :dunno

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2006, 03:33:10 pm »
I just hate it when I setup mame for somebody and they don't listen AT ALL.
They just keep trying to make it run Tech Romancer or some other 3d whatsit and everytime I have to explain that mame is a 2d engine.

Or after they get me to setup an awesome front-end for them, they delete it the next week.
Thats about the time I pull out the old down, down-forward, forward + Punch.

Bleagh

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2016, 04:33:25 pm
    • BLEAGH!
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2007, 01:49:48 am »
I remember buying myst not too long after it came out when I was probably too young to truly enjoy it.  I was too into street fighter and fast paced action games.

But a couple years ago I played it all the way through and loved it.  The puzzles were great.  I just wasn't ready to play a game I had to think about when I was younger.  Now I'm working through the other myst games.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2007, 02:38:07 am »
It's probably a little late to bring this up, but for those who talked about disliking GTA: San Andreas because of the gang-banger theme (but liked previoius GTA games), it's worth noting that the game parodies gang bangers.  The writing is hilarious, and half of the comedy is the way gang banging is portrayed.  Again, give the game another shot.  You won't be disappointed.

Best Kid iPad Apps

Loki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2012, 08:00:32 am
    • Deathnote
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2007, 06:30:38 am »
San Andreas is a great game! I like it that you can go everywhere and do almost everything... I could play it for hours on my xbox.
Actually.. I like most free roaming games ^^

A game that I didn't like.. hmm.  I think that would be Space Invaders.
Don't eat yellow snow.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2007, 11:30:57 am »
What may be considered overrated to some may be gaming nirvana to another. I remember this teenage girl who used to play Pooyan all the time and the enjoyment on her face spoke volumes. However, I didn't like the game very much myself. It's like food, I loath liver and others can't get enough of it. The same thing applies here and really boils down to personal gaming preferences.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2007, 11:33:34 am »

Now she spends her time playing poonani.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2007, 11:57:09 am »
By the way I met my wife at the Arcade. We used to play Nibbler. Can you extract anything coy from that one CT. We did.  ;)
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2007, 12:06:49 am »
007 363 5963

That's from memory.  I think that's it's right.  The only code I've possibly entered more is the Contra one.  And maybe Justin Bailey.

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I had to comment on this one. 

You are sooooooooooooooo close with the password.  I believe it's actually 007 373 5963.  I only remember because it was the only way I could get to Mike Tyson so he could knock me the ---fudgesicle--- out in the first round.  Playing all the way through, the second comming of Don Flamenco would always stop me.  Mike Tyson just always beat the crap out of me.  I was happy to just survive past the first 90 seconds so that he would stop using the "one punch and you're down" punches.  Instead, he'd use the "two punches and you're down" crap.   :hissy:
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2007, 12:34:41 am »
Heh . . . funny thing is I have the game on Virtual Console now and I put the code in right the first time I tried.  Muscle memory.  I can put in the whole code in like five seconds.  I didn't even remember this thread.  If I'd been holding a controller in my hands when I wrote that post I'm sure I would have got it right.   ;D

Best Kid iPad Apps

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2007, 07:12:58 am »
assasins creed - complete snooze fest

gears of war - its an "OK" game but NOT a 9/10 for sure. multiplayer is random as hell..its like they make it random on purpose for retarded kids to play online or something. single player is wayyyyy too short and boring too

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
Re:Overrated games
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2007, 07:21:51 am »
I was very rarely beaten in the arcades in the early 90's on that game using only two buttons (strong punch and kick). I could also beat the computer in single player mode off one quarter without using any special moves.

I find this difficult to believe.  The game is more balanced than that.  You cannot beat that game on one quarter using only strong punch and strong kick.  There are characters, particularly the four bosses, who will eat your lunch if you cannot parry their attacks, and it takes more than two buttons to parry the various attacks.

;D Sorry about the resurrection.  I liked to this thread from the various controllers thread and I'd never read it before.

Just for the record, I meant "fierce" rather than "strong". At the time I made that post I hadn't played on a real SFII machine in years and had forgotten what the button labels said. I always used the punch and kick that were the most powerful, but also the slowest (fierce and roundhouse).

Also, I was talking about the CPS-1 Street Fighter games (WW, CE, and HF). As such, there is no such thing as "parrying" in those games. And yes, they are very beatable on one credit using only those two buttons.

I have an SFII: WW machine these days, set on the hardest difficulty setting via the dipswitches, and I beat it every time I play on one credit using only those two buttons, same as I used to do in the early 90's at the arcade; and same as I used to do on the SNES port on the hardest difficulty level back then as well.

The only time I ever use any of the other buttons is when I want to change the speed of a "Hadoken" (fireball), which isn't all that often, neither is it something I need to do to beat the game on one credit. In fact, I can beat the game on one credit using just those two buttons and no special moves at all. If I had to, I could beat it with just the "roundhouse" kick and nothing else.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:26:42 am by MaximRecoil »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re:Overrated games
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2008, 05:53:51 pm »
am i the only one here that prefers Galaxians over Galaga?  :o

i can't remember ever seeing galaga in an arcade over here in the UK when I was a kid. Galaxians was the first and still is king!

Mame Golden Tee - what a pile of poo!

I also prefer Galaxians,  partly because of nostalgia, but also because the sound effects are better and it's harder.

Galaga does have more variety though.
Yes, yes, I'd take Galaxian over Galaga ANY time !!!!
Galaga has GAY, Pac-like sounds !!!
But even more annoying is the strange, wacky, wobbly way the aliens move. Are they all drunk or what ??

GALAXIAN RULES ! :D