Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 36443 times)

lcddream

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2020, 06:56:49 pm
  • Say goodbye to gravity...
Re: Overrated games
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2005, 12:05:37 am »
yes i'm very well aware of being able to remap controls, i played quake/ut/ut2kx for many years(more than i care to admit)....half-life however i never liked(no matter what control scheme/sensitivity level)

Theres your problem, as ray said.. speed.. you have been strafe jumping for how long? then went and played HL1 and couldnt get that same flow down, and its week slow speed turned you off.. :)

Q3A is one of the reasons i HATED how HL1 felt..

you and me should get down on some q3a sometime ;)

i'm down, but last time i tried to play q3a it seemed the master server was down?

direct ip would work  however.

.....just had a crazy idea....what if byoac had it's own unofficial clan/team [BYoAC]

in the fps world ';]

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2005, 12:15:17 am »
Killer Instinct is all about combos, but you still have to know what you're doing to pull them off. I like the SF games, but KI is my favorite. However, since this a a thread about overrated games...

Speed Coin sucks to no end.
Well you always have to know what you are doing for combos, since pulling them off by accident isn't something that will happen often, or can be counted on. I'm not into Joystick Gymnastics

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2005, 12:23:16 am »
Well KI combos are much more involved. I've never been a fan of the later Capcom fighting game combos, either. I make exception for SF EX combos, though. That whole series was alot better than most people give it credit for. In KI, there are pretty specific times to start combos and you have to know your "linkers". Plus, if you're good you can actually break a KI combo in the middle if the person pulling it off gets sloppy or takes too long.

... and since this a thread for over-rated games, 1942 just isn't as much fun after you've been playing Aero Fighters for a while.

(P.S. Anybody want to buy an Aero Fighters board?)

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2005, 12:40:22 am »
Well KI combos are much more involved. I've never been a fan of the later Capcom fighting game combos, either.
Yeah, I was talking about the later Capcom fighting games, since those were what turned me off on the whole fighting game genre in the first place. I've never actually played Killer Instinct so I can't really comment on it, though I don't like the look, feel or mechanics of 3D fighting games in general.

Oh, and for over-rated games I'll go with "Rampage". That is a pointless, skilless quarter sucker if I ever saw one, and people were just lining up to play it in the late 80's at the arcade I went to. As far as I can tell, there is really no way to avoid damage in that game, as the enemy fire comes down like rain. They could remove the enemy fire and just give you a PC10-style time limit on the game per quarter and it would accomplish the same thing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:47:38 am by maxim_recoil »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2005, 12:48:20 am »
KI is 2D. It's just done by Rare (the same people who did the Donkey Kong Country series of games on SNES). They made 2D graphics look 3D-ish. It's how they first got famous.

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2005, 12:50:10 am »
yes i'm very well aware of being able to remap controls, i played quake/ut/ut2kx for many years(more than i care to admit)....half-life however i never liked(no matter what control scheme/sensitivity level)

Theres your problem, as ray said.. speed.. you have been strafe jumping for how long? then went and played HL1 and couldnt get that same flow down, and its week slow speed turned you off.. :)

Q3A is one of the reasons i HATED how HL1 felt..

you and me should get down on some q3a sometime ;)

i'm down, but last time i tried to play q3a it seemed the master server was down?

direct ip would work

duffjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2012, 05:50:14 pm
  • There is no dinosaur name ending in PUSS.
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2005, 07:59:04 am »
hey max you should see if you can beat everyone on this.   www.zbattle.net  they play sf2turbo mostly

dogg0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2014, 01:18:29 pm
  • ALL? no ALL!!!
Re:Overrated games
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2005, 09:33:57 am »
Since I got the hang of that game in the early 90's, I have never met anyone who could beat me on a consistent basis, whether in the arcade, on the SNES or in MAME. Since that time I learned how to do the "hadooken" fireball of Ryu's on a consistent basis and I use it occasionally, but I still mostly use punch and kick. My 14 year old nephew who is a whiz at these new Xbox and PS2 games (which I couldn't care less about) is determined to beat me on SFII. He's been at it for about 4 years now.

I bet I could beat you every time  ;D
thou shalt not supress flatulence

-the bassmaster general

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2005, 07:06:44 pm »
hey max you should see if you can beat everyone on this.

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2005, 07:16:56 pm »
I bet I could beat you every time

Edgedamage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2005, 08:00:49 pm »
Overrated games: All coin op games between 1980-1995.
Just kidding!!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:04:21 pm by Edgedamage »
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

duffjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2005, 08:05:32 pm »
there isn't lag there...didn't really like world warrior because of the physics

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2005, 08:25:27 pm »

I just took a look at the site. It is for use with ZSNES, huh? That's interesting. SFII on SNES (I bought an SNES when they came out specifically for that game) was an excellent port, especially when it was the only way to play it at home (well, Genesis too but I didn't care for that version) but it is pretty disappointing now when you can use MAME for the real ROM.

Even so, I may give that a try, but I don't see how there wouldn't be any lag; though I suppose ZNES would be dealing with less information than MAME.

duffjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2005, 09:12:31 pm »
well it doesn't predict the moves like fps games do, so you're going to encounter a delay between .1-.2 seconds, but that's less than most reaction times so it's meaningless once you're used to the game.  people have been fighting to use the netplay technology of zsnes in things like kaillera but no one can figure out.

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2005, 09:40:16 pm »

I just took a look at the site. It is for use with ZSNES, huh? That's interesting. SFII on SNES (I bought an SNES when they came out specifically for that game) was an excellent port, especially when it was the only way to play it at home (well, Genesis too but I didn't care for that version) but it is pretty disappointing now when you can use MAME for the real ROM.

Even so, I may give that a try, but I don't see how there wouldn't be any lag; though I suppose ZNES would be dealing with less information than MAME.

Theres still a hint of lag.. if your a huge online gamer, youll notice it a little, but the fights are still "CLOSE" to being totally fair..

unless the person your playing is on some dirty connection.. and hosting....

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2005, 11:01:20 pm »
well it doesn't predict the moves like fps games do, so you're going to encounter a delay between .1-.2 seconds, but that's less than most reaction times so it's meaningless once you're used to the game.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2006, 03:14:23 am »
I was very rarely beaten in the arcades in the early 90's on that game using only two buttons (strong punch and kick). I could also beat the computer in single player mode off one quarter without using any special moves.

I find this difficult to believe.  The game is more balanced than that.  You cannot beat that game on one quarter using only strong punch and strong kick.  There are characters, particularly the four bosses, who will eat your lunch if you cannot parry their attacks, and it takes more than two buttons to parry the various attacks.

;D Sorry about the resurrection.  I liked to this thread from the various controllers thread and I'd never read it before.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:16:15 am by shmokes »
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2006, 07:53:24 am »
I personally dont understand teh allure to the monkey ball games

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2006, 03:24:42 pm »
Halo one wasnt overrated when it first can out was it?  i know halo 2 was and still is.

i think halo ce was one of the only good games on xbox on release that and coop and mulitplayer was fun.  kinda like the orig doom only with 2 weapons.

ive had a 16 player game twice (halo ce then halo2)  it was alright but 4 on 4 is way better and this was in a lan setting.

then one time my friends and i had senior cut day and we stayed up from 4pm to 7pm playing games.  some halo ce, halo 2, then it was smash bros melee tourny and mario kart double dash.  i guess it is good for fps people becuase you dont need 16 computers only 4 xboxes and tvs.

but i remember i could play halo ce single player over and over and it was always fun.  halo 2 comes and suddenly i cant stand replaying either.

just me or is ce more skill than 2?

recently ive been playing doom online with zdaemon coop and its great.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

DarkKobold

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2013, 11:31:23 pm
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2006, 12:05:48 am »
I think Halo 1 was much better, feelwise, and gameplay. Halo 2 lost the intensity, discovery, and space cowboy feel.

Legendary on Halo 2 is stupid, less skill, more luck. The new character is cool, but I'd rather be the crazy space cowboy (master chief) .
-------------------------------------
My games: Tapper, Asteroids, Cocktail-MAME, Tron, ROTJ, Tempest, Star Wars (not working)
My wants: Warlords Cocktail

Glaine

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2013, 12:09:17 pm
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2006, 10:38:54 am »
I like Ikaruga but I feel let-down because it was so freggin over-hyped.
And PSX was always a bad console. I bought 1 for the tenchu games, thats about it. Everything looks like jumbled pixels with no sense of depth.

Someone said SNK games are over-rated, which I find odd because I never even heard about SNK games until I was in my 20's. I love their stuff, but I never heard anything about them at all, had to find em myself.

I still like Space Invaders and the Star Wars game that looks like Space Invaders though, classics FTW.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2006, 10:44:01 am »
I have always thought that the big cinematic final fantasy games are overrated. They are pretty during the cut scenes, but damn it is boring. I gave FF10 a chance, but only got 2-3 hours in before I gave up.

They should just put out a movie for all the work they put into it.

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2006, 10:01:11 am »
Heh heh, they did. FF7 - Advent Children - on DVD now.
I know whatcha mean though, there are an awful lot of people that hate over-cinematic games, they always say "if I wanted to watch movies, I wouldn't be trying to play a game, dangit!".

Me, I know where they are comming from but sometimes I go for that kinda stuff. Like old LucasArts adventure games, some of those were very cut-scene heavy. You're right about the hype though, nothing says fanboys quite like FF.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2006, 01:59:52 am »
Myst

Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Texasmame

• No, no. He's in charge here.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2022, 05:28:39 pm
  • Ba, ba, boom!
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2006, 01:56:27 pm »
DDR and all its variations.  Just outstandingly dumb.

abrannan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2012, 11:32:14 am
  • Building a cabinet in perpetuity since 2002
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2006, 02:13:22 pm »
I was very rarely beaten in the arcades in the early 90's on that game using only two buttons (strong punch and kick). I could also beat the computer in single player mode off one quarter without using any special moves.

I find this difficult to believe.  The game is more balanced than that.  You cannot beat that game on one quarter using only strong punch and strong kick.  There are characters, particularly the four bosses, who will eat your lunch if you cannot parry their attacks, and it takes more than two buttons to parry the various attacks.

Based on the timeline given (early 90's) I'm assuming that SFII is being talked about (no parries, no tech hits, nada).  The games are set up with default difficulties, and easy is well, extremely easy.  I could see being able to beat the machine on easy without using special moves, especially since each character had only about 3 special moves each. 

As for me, I could never really get into Robotron.  It jsut strikes me as too fast and random to ever really understand what I'm doing. 
If no one feeds the trolls, we're just going to keep eating your goats.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2006, 02:22:01 pm »

Any GTA game. 

lordtodd75

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2020, 01:42:37 am
  • I especially hate punks!
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2006, 02:36:40 pm »
I second that. Definitely any GTA game, or clone for that matter.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2006, 02:51:18 pm »

Definitely the stupidest thing to happen to video games EVER.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2006, 02:53:35 pm »

I kind of like it when I can play by myself without a line of 45 teenagers all fuming because some old dude is playing a single foot song.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2006, 04:17:06 pm »

Apparently you've never had a group of not-so-coordinated friends over and played this game. Comedy Gold I tell ya'.  ;D

I like these games, and I should play them more so I wouldn't be so overweight and out of shape.

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2006, 08:32:48 pm »
Anything with the terms "auto," "grand," and "theft" all in the title.

Halo is the only xbox game I've ever played, and it's a blast.

FFs are my babies.  I do play for the stories.  It's like reading a really good book.  And I hate reading books.  Weird, huh?
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

Brumaz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 08:01:54 am
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2006, 12:46:18 am »
grand theft auto series, and Halo's. both overrated.

these days, i think shooting games and driving games are extremely overrated in arcades...
a Smith and Wesson beats four aces!

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2006, 07:25:23 am »
Anything with the terms "auto," "grand," and "theft" all in the title.

Halo is the only xbox game I've ever played, and it's a blast.

FFs are my babies.  I do play for the stories.  It's like reading a really good book.  And I hate reading books.  Weird, huh?

Hmmm...you have the patience to hit the "x" button over and over for 100 hours to get the story of a game, but you can't stand the thought of investing a few hours into a book to get some of the greatest stories ever told.

I've only ever played thru 1 true rpg, and that was Dragon Warrior for NES. Man I did love that game. Nothing like killing red slimes until you reach level 10.  ;)

I have played thru real time rpgs such as Diablo and Kingdom Hearts. I consider Kingdom Hearts to be the best game I've ever played. If you knock that, then your loss. Still never played part II though.  No spare time for that... I've heard it isn't as good as the first one anyways.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2006, 10:01:34 am »
I kinda liked GTA. It's probably the only game I really played on my Playstation while I had it. Although I have to admit I didn;t really play it, I was just messign around racing through town. Driver is perhaps a better racing/crashing game, but it didn't allow me to drive around for longer so it gets too repetitive.
This signature is intentionally left blank

Glaine

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2006, 10:26:28 am »
I've only ever played thru 1 true rpg, and that was Dragon Warrior for NES.
Never finished it all the way through, but I still agree. Right up there with the great Punch Out.

Anyone else notice the inverse difficulty of gaming consoles? This is purely on average mind you as there are invariably going to be hard games on any console but on average:

* Most people and their kids can beat a lot of N64 games.
* Some of your friends can beat SNES games.
* Hardly anyone you know can beat more than a couple of NES games.

I understand part of this to be that some NES games were REALLY long, but still...
Aren't we going the wrong way here?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2006, 10:29:08 am »

Depends on the age of the person.  I can, and many of my friends can, beat a lot of NES games.  And the ones I cannot beat are mostly because I just haven't played them much.

People who were early teens in the NES era can beat NES games easily.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2006, 10:56:53 am »
I can beat the NES games that I owned when that console was current. I pretty much did nothing but sleep and play NES in those days.

-S

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2006, 10:59:17 am »

We were similar... we'd go out, play some sport in the Parker Bros parking lot, then come inside and play NES all night.

When Zelda came out me and my best friend stayed home from school that whole week.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2006, 11:11:24 am »
When I got Megaman, a friend of mine and I did nothing but tag team it. He'd play while I was sleeping, I'd play while he was sleeping. There was no save at all, so we had to leave the NES running so we didn't lose our progress.

-S