Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help me to not get killed disassembling a TV!  (Read 2388 times)

Sasquatch!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Help me to not get killed disassembling a TV!
« on: August 27, 2002, 12:23:35 am »
I haven't even bought the TV yet, so no, I ain't dead yet.  ;)  But I'm thinking about taking the tube and circuit board out of the TV case once I buy it.

I know - I KNOW - that you can seriously injure or even kill yourself mucking around, so...I guess I'm asking what not to do.

JMDickson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2011, 11:22:48 pm
Re:Help me to not get killed disassembling a TV!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 11:16:17 am »
No answers eh?
 I built a monitor this weekend out of an old TV.  I've been inside of old TV's and Monitors before, but I am no expert.  
 I had to remove the tube from the chassis, so I discharged the tube (Look here).  You may have to separate the tube from the electronics to get it out.  If you are going to have hands in the electronics it is safer to do this.
 After discharging, you can unplug the 'suction cup', the neck board, and the degauss coil.  There is also a wire from a spring stretched around the back of the tube to the neck board.  Make sure you unplug it from the neckboard.  Now the tube should be totally separated from the electronics.
 In all of the modern TVs I've seen, the board will slide out freely, once the case is apart.  If yours does not, check if any screws were used.
 The tubes usually have oversized holes in the 4 corners with bolts and washers holding it in place.  You can remove these to free the tube.  I had an arcade monitor frame to use, and it was a perfect fit.
 To put it back together, reinsert the 'suction cup', plug in the degauss coil, plug the wire from the spring to the neck board, and reconnect the neck board to the tube.  Most tubes have a star shaped spacer to keep the wire from the flyback away from the other electronics and windings.  Put that back if it came off and adjust it if necessary.
 I of course had a new chassis, and had to work on the winding plugs, but you should be able to fire it right up.  MAKE SURE you don't have any shorts.  I did have my fire extinguisher ready just in case.

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Re:Help me to not get killed disassembling a TV!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 08:04:26 am »
Thanks much for the info, JMDickson.  I'm not even sure if I'm going to do it, but I will be sure to reference your info if I do.