Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A new CP.. what to use..  (Read 1968 times)

John

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2004, 06:03:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
A new CP.. what to use..
« on: August 25, 2002, 03:38:24 am »
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a Vandetta/TMNT cabinet (it was converted to MK2) and I am in process of  building a new CP for it.  I picked up two 3/4" MDF fiberboard from OSH and started in on it with my jig saw.  I have the top, bottom and the back cut out and it's very messy (fine grain of MDF everywhere)

I remember reading some posts online about people recommending MDF but i also want to know what else to use and if one material is better than the other.  Also any suggestion on finishing the top is appreciated.. I looked at contact paper but it looks too thin.

thanks

Sasquatch!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2010, 04:11:47 pm
  • Toot-Toot!
    • Arcade Paradise
Re:A new CP.. what to use..
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2002, 11:52:41 am »
I used MDF and it worked fine.  In fact, most people here used MDF.

For finishing, I used Krylon "Make It Stone!" textured spray paint, and I like the results.

If you use contact paper, you will almost certainly want to put a sheet of plexiglass, glass, or lexan over it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 06:33:46 pm »

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a Vandetta/TMNT cabinet (it was converted to MK2) and I am in process of  building a new CP for it.  I picked up two 3/4" MDF fiberboard from OSH and started in on it with my jig saw.  I have the top, bottom and the back cut out and it's very messy (fine grain of MDF everywhere)

I remember reading some posts online about people recommending MDF but i also want to know what else to use and if one material is better than the other.  Also any suggestion on finishing the top is appreciated.. I looked at contact paper but it looks too thin.

thanks

Well for starters it would be best of you could buy/borrow a circular saw.  You can get a much cleaner cut with it. Secondly plywood is a better choice for a cp if it's going to be unprotected.  It's lighter, it's sturdier, you don't have moisture issues and it's easier to cut (except for the groove for the t-modling)  Teh only draback is the wood grain, which will probably show through if you just paint it.  

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 02:30:23 am »
also plywood is better then any wood for panel because it has layers that you can cut to get the right height for the joystick if you gonna use plexi or lexan.its really annoying when you have 3/4 wood and a plexi.the height suck so bad that i started crying when i build my first panel.so go with ply and try to laminate the thing...AVOID PAINT on control panel.laminate is better then anything.