Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I tell if an arcade monitor is good?  (Read 2581 times)

zman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2004, 01:45:55 pm
How do I tell if an arcade monitor is good?
« on: April 05, 2004, 11:53:03 pm »
I just purchased an old X-MEN cab for $50.  Plugged it in and turned it on but only sign of juice was the fan in power supply spinning, the speakers crackled a little, and the transformer for monitor hmms a bit.  No real sound, no video.  I really only want the monitor so I can replace my TV in my MAME cabinet.  So here are my two questions....

1) Is there an easy way I can safely determine if the monitor is good without investing more money (like purchasing ArcadeVGA board)?
If I can determine the monitor is good I will indeed purchase an ArcadeVGA...I just hate to spend the $90 just to find out I can't use the monitor.

2) I have an ATI 9800SE, could I just connect the rbg pins directly from the ATI video card's output to the monitor's rgb and then the h&v sync from the video card to the monitor without it being over driven....i.e. will the ATI card realize the device is a "TV monitor" and "do the right thing"?  If this is true, then I will not need the ArcadeVGA card right?

Any responds greatly appreciated,
zman@smoke-n-ashes.com
----
My 1st TV MAME custom cabinet http://www.smoke-n-ashes.com/~cmoyer/webPics/mamePics/finish

zman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2004, 01:45:55 pm
Re:How do I tell if an arcade monitor is good?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:06:21 am »
One more note...a digital multimeter shows power supply is good.  I see 120v going to the big transformer mounted on bottom of cabinet.  I also hear a noise from monitor like it received power...u know like a "bowww" sound ;)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:16:54 pm »
Well, that sound is a good indicator.

Also, you do NOT need to buy an ArcadeVGA!  You have an ATI card?  It will output a 15KHz signal.  Do you have a J-PAC?  Makes your job even easier!

PacManFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2005, 12:18:56 pm
    • Kymaera Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 09:29:35 am »
When the monitor is turned on, and it has no input signal or sync, the screen should be glowing white. You might have to play with the brightness controls a little.

-PMF
All Hail Smezznar! The Giant purple centipede of Omnicron 5. Regail him with your odiferous offerings of onion powder!

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 10:35:13 am »
btw.. can you get windows running with an ATI -> arcade monitor?  

Or only get it working with advanced mame / advanced menu?

I tried searching for the answer... but "ATI" is in the middle of a bunch of other words... so I got hit with a TON of messages...

Well, that sound is a good indicator.

Also, you do NOT need to buy an ArcadeVGA!  You have an ATI card?  It will output a 15KHz signal.  Do you have a J-PAC?  Makes your job even easier!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 10:55:37 am »
btw.. can you get windows running with an ATI -> arcade monitor?  

Or only get it working with advanced mame / advanced menu?

I tried searching for the answer... but "ATI" is in the middle of a bunch of other words... so I got hit with a TON of messages...

I don't have any answers concerning Windows, other than the hacked drivers for the Trident Blade M64, and of course the ArcadeVGA.  Personally, I'd just use DOS, but that's just me.  I'm old school.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 01:18:54 pm »
hehe... I can't use my frontend then... sigh

just wondering if anyone got it working in ANY way... (was hoping powerstrip would work... but no...)