Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ipac Ultimate issue - Corrected  (Read 742 times)

Maxedout72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 09:18:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ipac Ultimate issue - Corrected
« on: December 31, 2023, 07:07:37 pm »
Hello,

I installed an Ultimarc IPAC Ultimate and Clear RGB Illuminated buttons on my cabinet. Right now I have 2 Ultimarc servo sticks without the servo part connected yet. So I tested everything in note pad all the controls work good except for player 2 insert coin. It would act like it was a stuck button.

So it tried the following things:

- I changed the ground wire going to it.
- I replaced the button with another new button.
- I changed the the wire going from the wiring harness to the button to another one. (from 2coin to the extra 2B wire) and used WINIP version 2 to change the 2B wires input to 6.

Still having issues.  :banghead: Any help?
Thanks for your time.

Corrected - Ran a new ground wire. I guess the daisy chain I was using had issues.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:18:58 pm by Maxedout72 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:17:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Ipac Ultimate issue
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 09:34:21 pm »
I tested everything in note pad all the controls work good except for player 2 insert coin. It would act like it was a stuck button.

So it tried the following things:

- I changed the ground wire going to it.
- I replaced the button with another new button.
- I changed the the wire going from the wiring harness to the button to another one. (from 2coin to the extra 2B wire) and used WINIP version 2 to change the 2B wires input to 6.
I assume you're using the COM (common) and NO (normally open) tabs on the microswitch, not COM and NC (normally closed) tabs, right?

Otherwise, it sounds like it might be a short on the PCB between "2Coin" and the adjacent ground between "1Coin" and "2Right".
- With power off, inspect the PCB and verify with a multimeter that there is no continuity between "2Coin" and ground.
- When you reprogrammed the board, did you change the output keystroke for "2Coin" from 6 to disabled or an unused keystroke like N?

Scott

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:18:16 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 03:40:00 am »
I've had similar problems with an IPAC (an older version) when the ground loop gets overwhelmed by something else, for example an arcade DC power supply for the audio amp.

For me, the two problem buttons were furthest from the IPAC (["shift"/enter/admin] and [pause]), partially hidden up under the marquee, so longest signal loops and possible EMF interference (from the CRT or speakers themselves). The buttons kept registering ghost presses.

Using a line filter on the AC into the DC power supply helped, and using an audio ground loop isolator also helped.

Check the flashing self-test LED on the IPAC as you turn on PC. The number of flashes is a code which can tell you which buttons are shorted (I don't know where to find the table to interpret this for your IPAC Ultimate though, ask Andy). In my case the IPAC seemed normal on startup (2 quick flashes then stays on), despite the issues.
https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/pages/IPAC-2-Code-Table.html

Try disconnecting wires from the 2Coin completely. See if problem persists even then (it might move to another button!).

Try disconnecting anything that might be causing group loop interference.

Try a ground isolator. They are relatively cheap and come in various forms. get one with 3.5mm jacks you can plug it right in. Example linked below.
https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B06XQYN77L
Check out my completed projects!

Maxedout72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 09:18:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:15:00 pm »
I assume you're using the COM (common) and NO (normally open) tabs on the microswitch, not COM and NC (normally closed) tabs, right?

Otherwise, it sounds like it might be a short on the PCB between "2Coin" and the adjacent ground between "1Coin" and "2Right".
- With power off, inspect the PCB and verify with a multimeter that there is no continuity between "2Coin" and ground.
- When you reprogrammed the board, did you change the output keystroke for "2Coin" from 6 to disabled or an unused keystroke like N?

Scott
[/quote]

On the buttons I have there is only two tabs. Acording to the website it does not matter what tab the two wires go on.
I changed the normal 2 coin wire to disabled. And changed the new wire to 6.

These pushbuttons have 2.8mm switch connector tags.
For I-PAC hand-wired connections we sell packs of 100 crimp connectors.
For Mini-PAC pre-made harnesses, select the 2.8/4.7mm harness version. This version has 2.8mm on pushbutton connections (exclusing Start1,2) and 4.8mm on all other connections.
It does not matter which tag connects to GND and which connects to the interface.
RGB Option have pre-wired LEDs for direct plug-in to our PacLED64 or I-PAC Ultimate I/O boards. Wire length 500mm.