Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Over Jump Rally  (Read 1426 times)

Fursphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:42:33 am
Over Jump Rally
« on: July 24, 2023, 12:18:05 pm »
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1959280/Over_Jump_Rally/

Looks like an unofficial remake of Sega Rally Championship using the Unreal 5 engine.  No release date, but it looks interesting.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:25:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Over Jump Rally
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 01:07:36 pm »
I've been following the progress of this very closely on both Twitter and Facebook ever since it was first announced. Alessandro, the game's developer, was aware of my love of old skool Sega arcade racers and very kindly contacted me and gave me early access to an alpha demo of the game, before it was publicly released, but unfortunately my ancient PC can't really handle UE5 and even with all the quality settings on low I couldn't get a nice smooth framerate. The game looks absolutely bangin' on modern hardware though.

The Alpha demo's still available for download if anyone wants to give it try, you can get it here: https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/over-jump-rally-sage-22-demo.1424/

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 05:57:38 am »
Looks amazing. Lets hope the developers are mindful that a few of us will want to put into twin cabs with a simple link etc.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:42:33 am
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 09:37:01 am »
A twin linked version / option would be amazing. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:59 am
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 01:47:44 pm »
How was the handling/gameplay?

That's what makes or breaks a game.  Supposedly it's one of the reasons 90's Arcade Racer never got released.
I'd love to see the Antonis' artwork from that find worthy mechanics.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:59:35 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 07:29:19 pm »
Been watching this one as well. There was promise of a beta last October... but it does look nice. And yes, more games need LAN mode!

That's what makes or breaks a game.  Supposedly it's one of the reasons 90's Arcade Racer never got released.

Really? I'd be keen to take a look at the source, if you can remember where you heard that. The trailers made that game look sooooo good. Was Antoni/Pelikan even working on the project at the end? I thought Nicalis took over...

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:59 am
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 10:24:53 pm »

Really? I'd be keen to take a look at the source, if you can remember where you heard that. The trailers made that game look sooooo good. Was Antoni/Pelikan even working on the project at the end? I thought Nicalis took over...

Nicalis demo'd the game at some show a few years ago and everyone who played it said the handling and AI were horrible.  I remember reading comments from a few random people.  Don't remember a defiitive source.
This unnecessarily long, but thorough video mentions it at the 32 minute mark (probably worth watching from the 31 minute mark)

If it were anywhere near releasable, I think they would have dumped it on steam in an unfinished state to recoup a few bucks.

I backed at a high enough level to get the BYOAC logo featured on a track.  Never spotted it in any of the released footage.

EDIT:  I also want to mention that I'm always afraid of people bashing arcade racers for unrealistic mechanics.  Realistic mechanics aren't fun.  Go play Desert Bus if you want realism.

I vaguely remember people saying the game was shown in an arcade cabinet at these shows in 2019, but this is the only picture I could find.  (from Nicalis twitter 2019)  I thought I remembered a picture of a more proper cabinet, but cannot find any other pics.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 09:09:30 am by BadMouth »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:59:35 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 11:05:22 pm »
cheers, i'll dive into all that :)

EDIT: ah yes, i think i'd seen some of that vid before. I left it playing in the background this time and made it all the way through. It's clear the video's writer has a grudge against Nicalis, but, the validity of that aside, the whole project was unquestionably mismanaged.\

Such a shame, it still looks absolutely amazing even now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 12:52:06 am by buttersoft »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:25:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 05:44:30 pm »
Ahhh, the 90's Arcade Racer... The game that showed so much promise and then just never was. I've also seen that video where the guy mentions about the game being very badly received at the gaming Expo. It's a real shame some competent developer familiar with arcade racers (like Sumo Digital) can't take the source code of Nicalis and make a decent game engine around the existing art assets.

It was a little bit weird in the alpha version I tried, but apparently that's exacerbated by the suboptimal performance of my PC

If you look at Alessandro's video of the game running on a beefier PC, it looks like it's running and handling absolutely fine
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 08:23:14 am by MrThunderwing »

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:05:42 am »
This looks really cool - is anyone able to share the alpha demo, as the link has been taken down? Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, got it. You can still find the google drive link using way back machine and download it directly from the google drive.

I had to lower the settings but it runs nicely. physics goes crazy if you leave the road but it's otherwise looking promising.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 10:55:43 am by 2huwman »