Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nokia Ntest back from the dead!  (Read 973 times)

Siris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 09:13:08 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Nokia Ntest back from the dead!
« on: June 13, 2023, 10:06:21 pm »
For those of you that know it I'm sure you miss it for those that don't it's like the best monitor test program ever, sadly it is a 16-bit program so it was no longer able to be run in Windows after XP.

That was until now, there is a program actually an emulator to run 16-bit programs on 64-bit Windows.
It is called winevdm and can be found here:

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases

It's pretty simple to use, download the latest release currently V0.8.1 extract it to your C: drive go to the otvdm-v0.8.1 folder and run the install.
You can actually extract it anywhere but I suggest to the C: drive because the folder will need to stay there to use it so if you were to extract it on your desktop you have to leave the folder on your desktop.

After that it's a simple matter of running Ntest and watch in amazement as it's working in Win. 8 or 10 or whatever.
There is one thing that is mentioned in the README in the otvdm-v0.8.1 folder, and that is this:

+ If you get an error that VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing, install [Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 (32-bit)](https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x86.exe)

I have used this program on two different systems both running Win. 8.1, one I needed to get the C++ Redist.  the other I didn't, but Ntest now works fine on both!

I hope this is actually news and makes others as happy as it made me to be able to use this awesome program on our modern systems!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:35:30 pm by Siris »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:38:11 pm
Re: Nokia Ntest back from the dead!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 06:55:54 pm »
Cheers for this! Ntest is my favourite.
Check out my completed projects!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:59:35 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 02:15:57 am »
anyone have a link to whatever the last version of Ntest was? Google is throwing up so many obviously dodgy results i can't tell what's what :)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:38:11 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 04:01:07 am »
I've got a copy on my NAS so offering it up here, renamed as a *.zip file so forum accepts it. Rename it back to Nokia.exe then run, it will auto unzip.
Check out my completed projects!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:59:35 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 07:02:17 pm »
cheers :)