Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Some Cocktail cabinet questions  (Read 830 times)

marcuskeeler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2022, 09:35:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Some Cocktail cabinet questions
« on: November 06, 2022, 05:27:04 pm »
Got My Cocktail cabinet build up and running and slowly adding the roms I want into the MAME structure.

So my build is as follows:
Arcade1UP Cocktail Cabinet
HDMI Adapter for the screen
Windows 10 PC
USB Controls

The machine boots into windows and I run Mame from there. Ultimately I'll have the machine start Mame directly but I'm still configuring.   I had to rotate the windows screen 90 deg to make it more practical for setup etc

So I have a bunch of roms running ok, for the most part. One thing I cannot fix though is the way the joystick interacts with the Mame front end.  The up/down movements of the joystick actually moves the cursor action left/right while The Left/Right movement of the joystick is how I navigate up/down in the mame interface.   ::)

Sounds like a simple fix but for the life of me I cannot rotate that joystick orientation 90 degrees.

Most of the games work fine straight out the gate, it's JUST the Mame interface... 

Any ideas?
Cheers

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:41:37 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Some Cocktail cabinet questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 09:08:17 pm »
One thing I cannot fix though is the way the joystick interacts with the Mame front end.  The up/down movements of the joystick actually moves the cursor action left/right while The Left/Right movement of the joystick is how I navigate up/down in the mame interface.   ::)
Go to the MAME "Input (general) -- User Interface" menu.

Remap the "UI Up", "UI Down", "UI Left", and "UI Right" inputs.   ;D

Scott

marcuskeeler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2022, 09:35:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 09:13:53 pm »
Scott
Done it a million times, it does absolutely nothing. I even mixed it up, inputting deliberately wrong settings, it literally ignores it

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:41:37 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 11:00:50 pm »
Done it a million times, it does absolutely nothing. I even mixed it up, inputting deliberately wrong settings, it literally ignores it
That's odd.   :dizzy:

Confirmed working with either keyboard or joypad in MAMEUIFX v0.152 and regular MAME v0.238 here.
- The inputs work with the new keystroke/joypad values as soon as they are remapped.
- Works in the MAME "TAB" menus for both versions.
- Works in the MAME built-in UI game selection menu, but not in the MAMEUIFX game selection menu.

*grasping at straws*
Have you tried bringing up the menu and remapping while a game is running? (this is how I did it)

Can you remap game inputs? (might be a file set to read-only)

Is there anything in your ui.ini that looks relevant? (don't see anything in mine, but yours may be different)

Have you tried rotating using ror or rol in mame.ini?
- These options rotate the screen orientation and the joystick menu navigation.
- With ror enabled as shown below, up on the joystick moves toward the right of the screen i.e. top of the menu.
Code: [Select]
#
# CORE ROTATION OPTIONS
#
rotate                    1
ror                       1
rol                       0

Scott