Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Off Road - Video Issues  (Read 1517 times)

jdevane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 09:27:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Super Off Road - Video Issues
« on: September 17, 2022, 06:31:26 pm »
Booted up my Super off road today and I am greeted with this following image on the monitor.  Not sure where to go here, I've checked all the chips and connectors on the board and made sure that was all good.  Power supply has 12.55 volts.  Any suggestions?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Super Off Road - Video Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 06:15:57 pm »
12 volts does not matter....5 volts IS going to matter here. your 12 volts is going to run sound and lights and whatnot... the 5 volts runs all the electronics.

you are going to want to check the voltage on one of the chips (not just the power supply.) as the power is going to drop over the wires and connectors and circuit board traces before it gets to the chips which do the business....  and adjust that voltage (if you can) up to 5.1v if your power is low at the chips start working your way back towards the supply....check the edge connector or plug where the power comes in... see if it's low there first. no sense cranking up the power to get 5v on board if the power supply is dumping 6 volts in...you are losing it somewhere.

honestly this looks like a board issue...not a monitor issue.

my thoughts in order of likelihood:

bad power
bad ROM
bad RAM
bad data control chip
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:36:53 pm by lilshawn »

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 11:23:33 am »
thanks, I'll check the voltage further, I think one of the roms has taken a dump or gotten corrupted myself.  I also agree it should not be anything with the monitor

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 04:40:02 pm »
ideally, if you have access to an EEPROM programmer, you can read out the data of each chip and compare it with the same version of the game from the MAME romset to see if they match. (since they are the same data.) if your version is older than the mame romset, just burn a whole new set and have yourself the latest (last) version.

if it does not match, you'll have to source a new replacement chip and reburn it...again mame romset is your friend.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 06:49:47 pm »
If you live anywhere near Chicago I can help you check your ROMs. But you need to check your +5v on the chips first.

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 09:30:02 pm »
I do not have a eeprom reader/programmer...  I honestly wouldn't mind upgrading this to a Track Pak system... 

I'm near St Augustine FL...  I'll drag the machine out this weekend and see what I can find at the chips...   this is the one original machine i still own, everything else are MAME cabinet I built by hand.