Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are some games too fast or am I too old?  (Read 2156 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:07:22 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Are some games too fast or am I too old?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2022, 04:30:13 pm »
PS, Hey Randy!!  I just got a Tron stick (with you still sold them), and will be ordering a trigger from you soon.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Dominux sticks.  We'll still be offering the TRON switches for a while, so whenever you are ready. :)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2022, 03:44:46 am »
Millipede - easy settings 377k - never got this far back in the day,
but several years ago could hit a million:

also got 368 on default

later

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2022, 02:08:33 pm »
When I was about 16 years old, Atari had a contest for a high score on centipede.  I played and played that game (although I admit that was using a WICO on a home-built panel even at that time) to get good at it.  Eventually, I had gotten so good at the game, I had to stop playing so I could photograph the score before it rolled back to zero.  Lousy Atari never even responded to my entry and I'm not sure if they ever even paid out to any winners.

I'm here to say that I probably couldn't get close to that today.  Maybe due to age, but more likely is that after a point it would just be a huge effort and grind with no tangible reward at the end of it.  At least in the arcade you got to try to think up 3-letter cuss words to put in the high scores for other players to see.

So that leads me to a question:  To the old coots who are still playing for the sake of trying to beat your personal high scores, what exactly motivates you in that direction today and how do you find the time to devote to it?  I would find the answers to this one far more interesting. :)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:01:42 am
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2022, 09:03:54 pm »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:06:22 pm by leapinlew »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2022, 09:18:51 pm »
That's the one.  I was very excited because I had what I believed was the highest possible score.  I get the feeling that there were tons of people who did the same, because after all, if I could do it .... :)

But there was no internet in those days so if anything was ever awarded, I didn't hear a thing about it.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2022, 02:57:12 am »
i like the challenge of beating my scores, and placing on the leaderboards.

super breakout is brutal after just a few minutes:

super break out 2029 - 2nd place - progressive - 5men 

have 1404 on 3 men default - first place

later

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2022, 07:39:14 pm
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2022, 08:22:41 am »
Battlefront 2 cost me like $5 on ps4 and has a decent solo campaign.

The first one had a good psvr mission.

Still need to finish up Rogue Squadron or whatever the VR one was.

Ginger Jedi still taunts me.

Been some good Star Wars games lately, to be honest.
I just started playing Battlefront II on the original XBOX.  Graphics aside, that is a really good game.  I wasn't gaming much due to life/work/family in my mid 30s around 2004/2005 so I missed many of the late games on the PS2 and XBOX.  There are some real gems in that era.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2022, 08:40:18 am »
I used to play fast Ms. Pac-man all the time when I was a kid. I never had an issue with it, or missing turns, or whatever. I will miss turns more frequently now when I play at home with a 4 way WICO leaf with little use. It was NOS a few years ago and it's still a pretty tight joystick.

I just played Ms. Pac-Man at a barcade and it had a happ anniversary stick in it. I had no issues with that stick, which was also well broke in, and felt easy to play the way I used to play when I was a kid.

So.... the hardware definitely has to be factored in.

working on ms pac man turbo, with class of 81 from arcade 1up, some tiny problems with turns but still
hit 745k (trying to get to the killscreen).

went through a ghost at 589k
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VPnWiPEuU7I

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:55 am »
ms pac man turbo - perfect ghost eating - high level grouping strategy - got to 500k
played greedy, died early before getting to killscreen

later

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:51:38 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2022, 10:52:53 am »
 It depends, my reflexes are about the same. I am at the same lame level I can't get past, same as the  80's.

As for today's kids, my buddies' kids were way into xbox when it came out. Up 2 hours before school to play into it.

They were going nuts with 10 button and 3 sticks, and I told them we only had 1 stick and one button, and that was sometimes. -

They laughed.

Short while later, I fired up Donkey Kong for the 15-button combo xbox kids....  It took them an hour to get to the second level...  :)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2022, 12:41:10 pm »
Short while later, I fired up Donkey Kong for the 15-button combo xbox kids....  It took them an hour to get to the second level...  :)

Heh.   That's a good point.  Saw the same with the son of a buddy of mine.  He could probably get into lower tier e-sports with call of duty games, but the oldies kicked his butt.  He got frustrated and quit :)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:25:30 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2022, 01:00:03 pm »
My 11 year old son loves video games, but he will not play old or even new arcade games unless there's a crowd of interested people. To be fair, the arcade games were designed to kill you in 2-3 minutes and that's 2-3 minutes he could have spent pretending to be a super soldier.

People are bad at arcade games because they don't have the time or desire to get good. Only a small percentage of people lack the dexterity because of age or whatever.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 01:19:47 pm »
My 11 year old son loves video games, but he will not play old or even new arcade games unless there's a crowd of interested people. To be fair, the arcade games were designed to kill you in 2-3 minutes and that's 2-3 minutes he could have spent pretending to be a super soldier.

People are bad at arcade games because they don't have the time or desire to get good. Only a small percentage of people lack the dexterity because of age or whatever.

I'll go along with that.  It's true that nothing makes you play better than people standing behind you who have their quarters on the machine :)

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2022, 08:41:42 am »

I'll go along with that.  It's true that nothing makes you play better than people standing behind you who have their quarters on the machine :)

i disagree completely.

i don't want anyone watching in person, i don't care if there's a crowd or not.

it's me vs the machine, that's all that matters.

10 or 100 people wouldn't make any difference at all.

i don't want people distracting me, or making noise. in fact, i'm pretty sure i had my walkman on,
so i couldn't hear anyone either when playing in the arcades.

later

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2022, 10:45:51 am »
it's me vs the machine, that's all that matters.

I'm sure it's a personal thing and can see how performance anxiety/distractions could get in the way.  But there's no greater unspoken compliment in the arcade than someone taking their quarter back off the machine when they realize that they'll be waiting longer than they thought. 

It's also different on your own machine as you can play it as often as you like without needing to give it up after a game.  Wasn't like that in the old days.  The better you played, the longer that machine was yours, and I did my darndest to hang onto it as long as I could ;)

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:51:38 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2022, 12:00:52 pm »
 I don't think kids play any less passionatly, but the games and how they are made to be played are very different.

I mean there are amost no ahooters that technicaly arn't "spray and pray".

Kids WILL NOT play a game where they only have 3 lives or no continues.

The Hi-score is a thing of the past, also the sheer numbers of games that are availible....no chance to get good at a few.

And above all you HAD to get good- or go broke $0.25 at a time. 8)