Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What kind of joystick for Gorf  (Read 3396 times)

Richardgregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2021, 01:15:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What kind of joystick for Gorf
« on: November 04, 2021, 11:11:40 am »
I suppose playing Gorf doesn't require a flight style type joystick, but regardless I'm considering what options are out there if I wanted to put one in in a new control panel.  I could also use it for Tron as well.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
Re: What kind of joystick for Gorf
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 03:34:04 pm »
I guess it depends on your level of authenticity. I think almost 8 way trigger stick would work well for Gorf, but this is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Joystick-Console-Accessories-Trigger/dp/B09233XPML

GGG also has a good looking flight stick: https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91&products_id=399

This is the final product:

Adding in Tron really increases the complexity because Tron used a special membrane on their flight stick to make the corners hard to hit so the joystick would work better on the lightsycle stage.

Good luck!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 03:49:52 pm »
Here is the wiki page on the Gorf Stick. Cocktail was a standard leaf stick. http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/TRON_joystick

Only thing I would add is and Ultrastick would be a good option if you are looking for something a bit more powerful for a number of games that make use of optical. Comes in a flight stick style like the one lew posted, but it is a high quality optical.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a high quality button top joystick that isn't a grip. Would be perfect for games like gorf.

The old Wico topfire leaf joysticks were the best thing on the home market, BITD.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 05:53:20 pm »
Here is the wiki page on the Gorf Stick. Cocktail was a standard leaf stick. http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/TRON_joystick

Only thing I would add is and Ultrastick would be a good option if you are looking for something a bit more powerful for a number of games that make use of optical. Comes in a flight stick style like the one lew posted, but it is a high quality optical.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a high quality button top joystick that isn't a grip. Would be perfect for games like gorf.

The old Wico topfire leaf joysticks were the best thing on the home market, BITD.

I must be the only guy on the planet that didn't like those WICO's.  I always had trouble using them vs a standard Atari controller.  I know I am in the minor on this because they are universally loved.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2024, 07:15:29 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 11:08:45 pm »
Haven't had time to build one myself yet, but this (granted, rather spendy) mod/hack seems like the ultimate one for multiple purposes.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=86734.0

Hope I have linked it correctly.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 12:17:07 am »
I must be the only guy on the planet that didn't like those WICO's.  I always had trouble using them vs a standard Atari controller.  I know I am in the minor on this because they are universally loved.

I know what you mean, as much as I loved them, it was more a comfort/quality thing, I had other joysticks that were a bit quicker to react and probably played better with them.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 12:18:36 am »
Haven't had time to build one myself yet, but this (granted, rather spendy) mod/hack seems like the ultimate one for multiple purposes.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=86734.0

Hope I have linked it correctly.

It doesn't get any better than that!  :cheers:

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 09:45:27 am »
SHARP Gorf cab!!! Can't top that...

Thanks for the link of the Amazon one - I'll just do that - appreciate the tip.  [Dumb question alert!: As for hooking up the buttons, so using an Ipac,  I'll just wire each of them firing buttons to an appropriate terminal on the IPac controller.

Cheers

I guess it depends on your level of authenticity. I think almost 8 way trigger stick would work well for Gorf, but this is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Joystick-Console-Accessories-Trigger/dp/B09233XPML

GGG also has a good looking flight stick: https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91&products_id=399

This is the final product:

Adding in Tron really increases the complexity because Tron used a special membrane on their flight stick to make the corners hard to hit so the joystick would work better on the lightsycle stage.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 10:34:57 am by Richardgregory »

Richardgregory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 09:46:47 am »
Thanks for the Wico suggestion - functional it is, but don't think it'll be too comfortable.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 04:25:18 pm »
Thanks - I did a build thread here in case you are curious: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161128.40.html
My opinion, nothing beats an original Gorf cabinet, but I didn't have space for another full size cabinet, so I built a cabaret sized cabinet.

As for the wiring - you'll notice only a single pair of wires come out of the joystick for the buttons, that's because both the trigger and the button on the back are wired together, so while there are 2 buttons, they act like one button. One of the wires is ground and the other one is wired to button 1 (or whatever) on your ipac.

The wiring of the joystick movement is done just like any other joystick, by wiring a common ground and each direction of the joystick directly to the ipac.

Gorf is tricky to emulate. You'll want to experiment to make sure you get the best emulation by testing out different versions of mame and romsets. I built mine from a Raspberry Pi and using the 2010 version of Mame.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 05:12:24 pm by leapinlew »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 10:56:45 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 07:35:43 pm »
As for the wiring - you'll notice only a single pair of wires come out of the joystick for the buttons, that's because both the trigger and the button on the back are wired together, so while there are 2 buttons, they act like one button. One of the wires is ground and the other one is wired to button 1 (or whatever) on your ipac.
You should get one from Groovy Game Gear, Paradise Arcade Shop, Ultimarc, this one, or this one instead.  EDIT: The listing for the one here that Lew linked to earlier says that it is a 3-wire version, but the picture doesn't show the third wire.   :dizzy:
- They have 3 wires so the trigger and thumb switches operate separately.
- If you already have one of those two wire triggersticks, you should be able to run three wires through the shaft and cut the jumper between the non-touching switch tabs so it's wired like this one from PAS.

There's also this one that is a 3-wire, but I'm not sure how the different trigger shape and having the switch on top changes the feel and ergonomics.   :dunno

Scott
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:02:36 pm by PL1 »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 09:35:31 pm »
Gorf is tricky to emulate.

There is no decent emulation of Gorf. If you're emulating Gorf, there is no need for a special joystick. Just use your favorite 8 way and two standard buttons, one for fire and one for shield. If that doesn't scratch your Gorf itch good enough... a trigger stick isn't going to make emulation any better, you're better off getting an original cab.

Ah ah ah... Nice try Space Cadet!
%Bartop

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 09:40:15 pm »
Gorf is tricky to emulate.

There is no decent emulation of Gorf. If you're emulating Gorf, there is no need for a special joystick. Just use your favorite 8 way and two standard buttons, one for fire and one for shield. If that doesn't scratch your Gorf itch good enough... a trigger stick isn't going to make emulation any better, you're better off getting an original cab.

Ah ah ah... Nice try Space Cadet!

The version I am using now seems to work pretty good. Seems to slow down in all the same places as original hardware.  :D  The joystick just helps with the feeling. Sure an 8 way and buttons work, but I really wanted a flightstick for the controls.

Not sure what version you are using, but if it has shields, you may want to check to make sure it's actually Gorf.  ;)

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 09:42:53 pm »
Not sure what version you are using, but if it has shields, you may want to check to make sure it's actually Gorf.  ;)

Oops... Exerion on the mind... Another flight stick game that plays fine without a flight stick. And that one doesn't have shield either... huh.

Satan's Hollow! That's the one!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:46:40 pm by Nephasth »
%Bartop