Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Time Crisis pedal - 20 minute proof of concept...........  (Read 5159 times)

firedance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:33:37 pm
Time Crisis pedal - 20 minute proof of concept...........
« on: February 14, 2021, 08:33:46 am »
Hi All,

Been thinking of doing this for a while as i spent a small fortune playing this game in the arcades back in my youth  ;D, 20 minutes later using what i had to hand, now have a working prototype.

parts used -

2 pieces 12mm mdf - 220cm x 63mm (approx 8 3/4" x 2 1/2") - scrap with various holes.

1 brass hinge and 4 screws.

2 hard plastic feet and screws from a broken microwave oven, recycled years ago.

1 pink 24mm arcade button from a PS1 joystick.

1 small nut and bolt, the head of which is just about the right height so the button didn't get crushed, it's off centre as there was alrieady a hole there, just enlarged to fit.

2 25mm (1") springs of unknown origin.  :lol drilled 4 holes 6mm deep to hold the springs in place.

32mm (1 1/4") webbing like material from old rucksack, to stop it opening up (did use some whitetac (blutac) to steady the springs before i added the webbing, forgot to remove it.

4 carpet tacks various sizes.

6' (approx) of some really cheap speaker wire from Poundland (dollar tree), been in my many parts/pieces boxes for years, there's only about 10 strands of copper rest is plastic (see pic).

Spare 2 pin wire for a "zero delay encoder" plugged into button 10.

2 small cable clips to try and stop the crappy wire pulling out.

No construction pics as it was bloody freezing in my shed and did it as quick as possible, 20 mins sounds about right.

Tested and it works a treat  ;D, can be a little uncomfortable with only socks on after a few games but hey its a proof of concept, if/when i remake it maybe make it shorter and maybe twice as wide.

Anyways I've rambled enough, check out the pictures with all the holes/splits etc  :lol

firedance

• Offline Offline
Re: Time Crisis pedal - 20 minute proof of concept...........
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 08:35:01 am »
more pics

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:45:50 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 06:49:49 pm »
This is good BYOAC.

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2023, 11:02:22 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 07:42:10 am »
I love "Throw-it-together" concept ideas (and in 20mins too)... just to see if it'll work. Also making things out of scrap... that's recycling at it's finest (and cost cutting) :lol
You've also inspired me to post some pic's of a "Pop-up" Time Crisis 2 setup I did a few years ago... just gotta dig up the photo's (if you're interested)
Cheers  :cheers:

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:45:20 am »
Thanks guys, yeah post up the time crisis 2 pictures :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 01:51:54 pm »
HAHA rough n ready like it!!

I have been meaning to get my hands on a old metal sewing machine pedal in order to make a foot switch for Time Crisis, I just aint got around to it yet :p

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 02:05:56 pm »
HAHA rough n ready like it!!

I have been meaning to get my hands on a old metal sewing machine pedal in order to make a foot switch for Time Crisis, I just aint got around to it yet :p

i looked at those too plus some really cheap plastic ones for about £5 that wouldn't last long or some industrial ones for about £15, both on ebay.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 02:15:41 pm »
At the moment I am using a 3 pedal kkmoon one.
Works fine but I want something more industrial heh

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 06:57:20 am »
Should have said i use a mayflash dolphin bar (mode 2) and a Wiimote as my lightgun, yes i know its not prefect and some people hate it but seems to work for me, was tinkering about with various settings last year so not sure how i got it to work well enough for me so have uploaded my mame.ini and time crisis config :) (time crisis is setup to use the wiimote A button for pedal in this config)

also i use it for PlayStation lightgun games, obviously its more jittery as its acting as a mouse and can't change settings like in Mame but again i can live with that.

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 02:54:22 am »
Hi Guys, here's the Pic's of the Pedal I made back in 2001 to hook up to a GameMaster gun, the socket was already in the gun, I just made up the pedal one afternoon to see if it would work ok on Time Crisis 1 on the Playstation 1.

... it worked ok, but didn't give you that "Time Crisis" feel.

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:57:09 am »
....Then I found out that you could "i-Link" 2x Playstation 2's to play Co-op Time Crisis 2....

...So I made these....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:02:06 am by XSFDriver »

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:04:37 am »
...I've got more Pic's of the build from start to finish that I'll put up later if you like, but I'm just Re-sizing them to post.
Cheers  :cheers:

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 10:19:02 am »
....Then I found out that you could "i-Link" 2x Playstation 2's to play Co-op Time Crisis 2....

...So I made these....

Looks very nice, guess you can weld ?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 11:49:58 am »

...So I made these....

I immediately thought you had somehow modified a couple of hole punches.  Look good :)
For others,  How about using guitar hero Kick Drum foot pedal?

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 12:14:48 am »

...So I made these....

Looks very nice, guess you can weld ?

...I hope so, I did a "Tour of Duty" (as they call it), at "Freighters" weldin' up semi trailers... learnt a lot there (but the thinnest steel there was 3mm), but had to do a lot of "finishing" to try and fit everything together nice and neat with the pedal build... and as you can see in some of the other pic's... I had a little trouble doing the "angled" underside of the pedals, as it was pretty thin...had to turn the welder right down (I'm learning more about welding "lighter" steel now  ::))

I'd recommend anyone to give welding a go. You can pick up a second hand gas/gassless mini-mig 120 for about $100au....just don't waste time with gassless wire...hook up a small bottle ("D" size or "knee-high") of gas to it...you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.... I'm in aw of some of the woodwork guys do on here... I wish I had THOSE skills...but I've learnt a bit on this site, enough to maybe give things a go in the future ;D

...So I made these....

I immediately thought you had somehow modified a couple of hole punches.  Look good :)
For others,  How about using guitar hero Kick Drum foot pedal?
I s'pose they do look like that at first glance, there's nothing in the pic to give you an idea of scale.

I actually measured real Time Crisis 4 pedals at an arcade, then came up with this size (200mm x 140mm or 8" x 5.5")...so they can be used indoors (so not too big) and also big enough to look like the real thing when I set it up outside and mounted them on a big "T" bracket so they wouldn't move... AND so they could be "Stomped" on all night by mates who'd had a few Jim Beams or beers :lol

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 12:18:34 am »
Here's some of the first stages...

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 04:16:05 am »
Hey Firedance, I'll post the rest of the pic's a new thread (there's another 13 pic's of the build),... I sort of feel like I've hijacked your topic mate, I don't want to come across too full on, just thought it might give people some food-for-thought... if they wanted to build something similar.
Cheers :cheers:

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 04:26:21 am »
No worries :)

Will look for your new thread, if/when I redo my pedal it'll  give me some ideas even if mine will be wood/MDF  ;D.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 03:16:13 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 11:21:13 am »
I used a plastic sewing machine pedal wired up to a ps1 digital controller for a while, then I just went ahead and bought a new Time Crisis pedal from Betson. It cost about $100 plus $30 to ship to Wisconsin. I assume that International shipping would be more. Unfortunately, they didn't give me the shipping quote when I ordered. I just had to wait and see what they charged.

https://www.betsonparts.com/amusement-redemption/namco-red-pedal-assembly-for-time-crisis-and-crisis-zone.html

mourix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 06:53:09 am
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 04:09:24 pm »
I saw this metal foot pedal on Aliexpress. Wouldn't that be perfect?