Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME 0.265 - Switchres 2.220c  (Read 113566 times)

RobeeJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:48 am
Re: Groovymame 0.254 - Switchres 2.002s
« Reply #360 on: May 08, 2023, 06:40:36 am »
Patch didn't help the overspeed for me on LCD, I went back and found the last version it worked on.

250 is perfect
251 is perfect
252 runs super fast, maybe twice speed, a frame delay of 9 slows it down but makes the sound speed wobbly
253 runs super fast, maybe twice speed, a frame delay of 9 slows it down but makes the sound speed wobbly
254 runs super fast, maybe twice speed, a frame delay of 9 slows it down but makes the sound speed wobbly

Not a major issue as I can turn off switchres, so more an FYI in case it's something obvious.

I appreciate all your work!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 04:59:06 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #361 on: May 08, 2023, 12:43:33 pm »
If you have a chance, post a log so I can see what's going on.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #362 on: May 09, 2023, 06:45:56 am »
Need some clarification-update : BGFX still adds 2 incompressible frames of delay compared to D3D ? (assuming lowlatency is on)

Even in a vsync off or VRR scenario ?

IIRC by count this was what Oomek's dedicated lag test results were (+3 frames before lowlatency was introduced)

(and this is one of the reasons why Groovy still uses D3D ?)

If you go around reddit or whatever, ppl pretend BGFX doesn't add such lag, of course always stating so without context...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 06:47:40 am by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #363 on: May 09, 2023, 07:08:11 am »
Even in a vsync off or VRR scenario ?

No. BGFX + VRR (vsync-off) + low_latency = no latency (equivalent to D3D + vsync + frame_delay 9)

At least when I tested it, back when low_latency was added to baseline MAME. My results were posted in the PR.

On the other hand, BGFX + vsync = LAG, ranging from bad to catastrophic, depending on the backend used.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: May 09, 2023, 08:22:15 am »
Ugh, thank you for setting this straight again for my confused aging mind. That's what I should have remembered by myself. :embarassed: :lol

Alright. So vsynced BGFX lags X frames depending on the backend. Which does it pick by default on W10 ?
d3d9
d3d11
d3d12
opengl
metal
vulkan
(don't even know if all of those are actually functional)

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: May 09, 2023, 03:42:30 pm »
Logs as requested!

I notice the SDL version compiled against is newer, no idea if that's a factor, may be a red herring.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #366 on: May 09, 2023, 05:30:46 pm »
Logs as requested!

I notice the SDL version compiled against is newer, no idea if that's a factor, may be a red herring.

Ok, the problem is it's using the bgfx video backend on the second case (254). They made it the default recently. Not a problem with GroovyArcade since we're forcing -video opengl, but you're probably using another Linux distribution. So, force -video opengl in mame.ini.
Steps to create a log:

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: May 10, 2023, 04:06:10 am »
Ok, the problem is it's using the bgfx video backend on the second case (254). They made it the default recently. Not a problem with GroovyArcade since we're forcing -video opengl, but you're probably using another Linux distribution. So, force -video opengl in mame.ini.

Interesting, I thought I was already using BGFX even in 251, I will post my mame.ini later. I'm using Arch Linux but not GA.

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: May 10, 2023, 03:27:35 pm »
Here is my mame.ini! I do have bgfx enabled, so maybe it's not that?

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: May 10, 2023, 03:38:19 pm »
It was always my understanding that Groovy's main features just don't work with BGFX (yet) and we aren't supposed to use that mode period.  :dunno

I'm not a Linux user, but I had to insist with many a new Groovy user on windows to not use BGFX. Even met more than a couple who actually tried to hide they were using it until the bitter end of the convo, because somehow they knew, but hoped someone would one way or the other make it work for them. Nope.  :P

Welp, there's still GLSL I guess. Never used that but it's pretty much on par with HLSL iirc.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 03:52:07 pm by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #370 on: May 11, 2023, 05:01:27 am »
Here is my mame.ini! I do have bgfx enabled, so maybe it's not that?

It's that indeed. It was only working fine out of pure luck before. Probably vsync isn't locking the thread any more in the specific api that bgfx is calling, who knows.

I got tired of random api "improvements" breaking vsync long ago, that's why GM does vsync manually, but this is only accessible through the supported video backends: opengl and accel on Linux, d3d on Windows.

I wanted to extend support to bgfx at some point but now I think it won't be feasible/worth.
Steps to create a log:

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: May 11, 2023, 06:19:15 am »
Yeah if frame_delay can't work with BGFX - or if it can but there's still incompressible lag left when using that mode anyway - and if mamedev keep making changes that break it, then it might indeed be a deperate struggle.

If ppl want BGFX with smooth correct refresh scrollings and no lag; they have to use a VRR setup, in which case Groovy doesn't offer much else vs mainline MAME in terms of features, aside from saving the main UI sliders, intoverscan (and the multimonitor specifics maybe?)

Groovy's smooth correct refreshes and frame_delay lag reduction work on flat panels, either partially or completely depending on the display's compatibility (unknown without testing)
AND that limits usage to the backends Calamity specified.
Therefore HLSL and GLSL for CRT look simulation.

[crt shader rant]
TBH I think what ppl have always been lacking for those CRT shaders to get more popular are good presets working for most display resolutions and orientations.
BGFX mode does provide a number of presets (some very questionable producing a blurry run-down crt look) so that's why ppl want to use it.
But IMO from the beginning when those shaders have been introduced, and without waiting for BGFX, MAME should have come bundled with ready generic clean RGB CRT presets broadly compatible with resolutions for use with HLSL and GLSL immediately.
The process of figuring what those shader settings do one by one to achieve an optimal effect is borderline unfeasible (plus the non-saving UI sliders and some mismatched settings names in the .ini and dealing with ini hierarchy after you finally figure that you have to delete the raster.ini to be free, dont help also), and being disappointed at settings other ppl share has also been commonplace since them too don't master it and have their own personal taste and hardware biases. That's already it for HLSL, and while I haven't used GLSL I've seen that it requires to figure out how to even make it work at all, so in short from the beginning the problem has been the same old MAME has been marred with: accessibility and user-friendliness.

Personally it took me a very long time to find even just generic settings for HLSL, not great but working anyway for most games I play and at whatever monitor resolution I commonly use (1080 & 1440) and now I think I could make it work for anything.
But I had to go through the five stages of denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance that I would never manage to make it look good-enough and all i can afford to make work is a simplistic scanlined shadow mask with a bit of bloom and variation.
In short I can only use like maximum 10~15% out of the over 80 lines of settings found in the mame.ini dedicated to CRT simulation, only to achieve that simplistic but working basic effect.
I so wish we have had capable ppl who have made and implemented that feature, enlighten and guide, and share the best they could do with their own baby for the common good, and certainly for the good of MAME as a whole.

No surprise seeing the shaders feature of RetroArch, that the latter's become so dramatically popular in comparison, as it has long been way ahead in that department, the only thing it can boast about.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:25:18 am by schmerzkaufen »

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2024, 05:18:53 am
« Reply #372 on: May 11, 2023, 07:14:35 pm »
MAME has recently started saving the sliders too, you might want to check that out.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: May 12, 2023, 01:44:42 am »
Yeah I've seen that but it's only the shader settings sliders in BGFX, not the other video modes.
It seems incomplete, e.g for some reason the mask type isn't saved which of course forces you to set it again every time.
Defaults are stlll awful also.

Well, that'd be fine at least for ppl with a VRR setup since they don't suffer the lag with BGFX.
But it doesn't help Groovy users who can't use BGFX, and I doubt anyone will bother implementing saving sliders for D3D 's & Opengl 's HLSL and GLSL.

Features like that aren't the focus of mamedev anyway so I guess we should be happy that there is at least some movement in that area.

I guess, would baseline integrate Groovy's features, at least all those that regard flat panels, and help/accept making them work with BGFX by not killing it every few versions, finally fixing the vsync lag,
and expand the shaders offer, fix the default of the existing, and finish making all the saving sliders actually save (having even just one relmaining that doesn't save won't cut it)
THEN they'd have an attractive-enough competitor to RA.
maybe...
coz there are more things that confuse and irk too many users to make MAME their go-to even for just arcades emulation, the UI wouldn't be bad but it still has issues that make it a PITA, like the magnitude of romsets and wtf search results, even with filters it's still an everyday struggle.
You know well lots of ppl much prefer the old stype windows GUI, I still do too TBH.

Anyway personally I am happy-enough with how Groovy is, its lag reduction and correct smooth refreshes work, it attends to flat panels too, without much if any hassle at all now, and saves crucial sliders, so I can deal with what's left of baseline's weaknesses.

H@nzo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2023, 05:56:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2023, 11:17:48 am »
I updated my setup to the current version today.
My CRT is vertically oriented.
With the current version, the UI is very very small - you can't read anything anymore, unfortunately.
I think it's because of the super resolution (if turn it off in mame.ini everything in the UI is fine, but the games scale is wrong).
The games are displayed correctly.
Where is my error or what do I have to set so that the UI is displayed normally again?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:44:06 am
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2023, 04:37:05 pm »
What is your desktop resolution? Is it a super? Try using ArcadeOSD to set/confirm 480x640i as your desktop resolution.
Check out my completed projects!

H@nzo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2023, 05:56:22 am
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2023, 08:05:41 am »
Had already tried it with 640x480i + 480x640i - both with same result: very tiny font size und scaling in UI.

I have now helped myself in the UI options to use a different font. Unfortunately not an optimal solution: UI scaling is now okay. In the games, however, the menus are too large and confusing.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2023, 08:11:39 am »
Set uifont uismall.bdf in mame.ini.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.255 - Switchres 2.002t
« Reply #378 on: June 10, 2023, 07:23:05 am »
GroovyMAME 0.255 is out! (well it's been out for a couple of days already)

What's new in Switchres 2.002t (May 2023)

- [Windows] Fix rawinput for joysticks for certain devices [star69rem].

- Fix lcd_range operation.
Steps to create a log:

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: June 11, 2023, 03:30:41 am »
Thank you Calamity!!! 💜

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: June 11, 2023, 03:47:12 am »
thanks! for those concerned the saving sliders feature is down for now, calamity needs time to fix it because of some changes in mainline apparently.

monophonic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:30:32 am
« Reply #381 on: June 18, 2023, 06:46:56 am »
Hi Calamity,

Quick question:

I've been playing around with CRTEmudriver and it's been working great!
One specific thing I noticed however: if my desktop resolution is set to 2560x240 and I run a game that also has a vertical resolution of 240, then the refresh rate won't change at all.
For example: Tetris the Grand Master 2 runs at 320x240@61.681. When I launch it from the command line, system info shows 2560x240@59.996.
The same behavior also happens when my desktop resolution is set to 320x240.

Just to clarify, when my desktop resolution is set to 480i instead, it does change the refresh rate correctly to 2560x240@61.681.
I'm unsure if this is intended behavior or simply a bug with switchres as it happens on both Groovymame and Retroarch.

My setup is an AMD R7 260x connected to a Trinitron via SCART. Monitor is set to arcade_15.
I've included a log as well.

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 03:34:02 pm
« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2023, 05:39:51 am »
Hi Calamity,

Quick question:

I've been playing around with CRTEmudriver and it's been working great!
One specific thing I noticed however: if my desktop resolution is set to 2560x240 and I run a game that also has a vertical resolution of 240, then the refresh rate won't change at all.
For example: Tetris the Grand Master 2 runs at 320x240@61.681. When I launch it from the command line, system info shows 2560x240@59.996.
The same behavior also happens when my desktop resolution is set to 320x240.

Just to clarify, when my desktop resolution is set to 480i instead, it does change the refresh rate correctly to 2560x240@61.681.
I'm unsure if this is intended behavior or simply a bug with switchres as it happens on both Groovymame and Retroarch.

My setup is an AMD R7 260x connected to a Trinitron via SCART. Monitor is set to arcade_15.
I've included a log as well.

Hello, that's a well know behavior. You should use another resolution for your desktop, for example 2560x242 or try allow_hw_refresh option.

-[no]allow_hw_refresh: dynamically adds new modes or updates existing ones just like VMMaker does, even on stock AMD drivers. This feature is experimental and is disabled by default. It has the following limitations and problems:
Synchronization is not perfect yet and the new modes may not always be ready on time for mode switching, causing a wrong display output.
A plug-n-play audio notification will be present on startup and exit, if the explorer shell is used.
Refreshing the hardware is an expensive task that takes time, specially if the app has already entered fullscreen mode. This makes it unpractical for games that switch video modes more than once, unless -nochangeres is used, or alternatively super resolutions are forced (-resolution 2560x0) so that effective mode changes are neutralized (the later trick won't help for games that switch between interlaced and progressive).
When used on stock AMD drivers instead of CRT Emudriver, usual limitations apply: no support for low resolutions (below 640x480) nor low dotclocks. Not a problem however if you're using a 31 kHz monitor.
Still, this feature is interesting enough to be provided as an option, and is a requirement for the new automatic lcd preset (as it's what makes it possible to refresh the current desktop mode).

monophonic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:30:32 am
« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2023, 07:28:35 am »
Hello, that's a well know behavior. You should use another resolution for your desktop, for example 2560x242 or try allow_hw_refresh option.

-[no]allow_hw_refresh: dynamically adds new modes or updates existing ones just like VMMaker does, even on stock AMD drivers. This feature is experimental and is disabled by default. It has the following limitations and problems:
Synchronization is not perfect yet and the new modes may not always be ready on time for mode switching, causing a wrong display output.
A plug-n-play audio notification will be present on startup and exit, if the explorer shell is used.
Refreshing the hardware is an expensive task that takes time, specially if the app has already entered fullscreen mode. This makes it unpractical for games that switch video modes more than once, unless -nochangeres is used, or alternatively super resolutions are forced (-resolution 2560x0) so that effective mode changes are neutralized (the later trick won't help for games that switch between interlaced and progressive).
When used on stock AMD drivers instead of CRT Emudriver, usual limitations apply: no support for low resolutions (below 640x480) nor low dotclocks. Not a problem however if you're using a 31 kHz monitor.
Still, this feature is interesting enough to be provided as an option, and is a requirement for the new automatic lcd preset (as it's what makes it possible to refresh the current desktop mode).

Thanks, that's good to know.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.256 - Switchres 2.002u
« Reply #384 on: July 01, 2023, 05:58:25 am »
GroovyMAME 0.256 is out!

What's new in Switchres 2.002u (May 2023)

- Only save certain sliders: frame delay, vsync-offset, overclock and CRT geometry sliders. This avoids the problem with vector games not responding to ini settings.
Steps to create a log:

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: July 01, 2023, 03:04:30 pm »
 :cheers:

EDIT: all green ! sliders work as intended, including in non-VRR context using allow_hw_refresh with lcd_range, and frame_delay + vsync_offset + CPU%  :applaud:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 01:58:50 pm by schmerzkaufen »

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
« Reply #386 on: July 01, 2023, 03:55:13 pm »
Thank you Calamity!!! :)

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2023, 04:49:29 am »
Thank you Calamity!!! 💜

JPetersen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 07:34:18 pm
« Reply #388 on: July 10, 2023, 08:14:30 pm »
Hi Calamity.

I was wondering if it would be possible to save the 'screen refresh rate' slider values as in previous GroovyMAME versions?  I use this feature a lot and a lot of my cfg files are set up for it.  It would be a shame to have to be stuck using v0.255 in the future!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #389 on: July 13, 2023, 02:33:28 pm »
Hi Calamity.

I was wondering if it would be possible to save the 'screen refresh rate' slider values as in previous GroovyMAME versions?  I use this feature a lot and a lot of my cfg files are set up for it.  It would be a shame to have to be stuck using v0.255 in the future!

OK, I'll add this to next version.

You don't know for sure if people are using a certain feature until it's removed.  :laugh:
Steps to create a log:

JPetersen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: July 13, 2023, 06:48:20 pm »
Hi Calamity.

OK, I'll add this to next version.

You don't know for sure if people are using a certain feature until it's removed.  :laugh:

Thank you!

Yes, some of us use software in odd ways  :D

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Groovymame 0.257 - Switchres 2.002v
« Reply #391 on: July 31, 2023, 08:10:45 am »
GroovyMAME 0.257 is out!

What's new in Switchres 2.002v (July 2023)

- Also save Screen Refresh Rate slider.
Steps to create a log:

Rion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 03:32:42 pm
  • 240p, 480i
« Reply #392 on: July 31, 2023, 09:32:08 am »
GroovyMAME 0.257 is out!

What's new in Switchres 2.002v (July 2023)

- Also save Screen Refresh Rate slider.

:applaud: :cheers: :notworthy:

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:27:00 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2023, 02:39:29 am »
As always - many thanks for Calamity and all people involved. :applaud:

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2023, 04:05:05 am »
Thank you Calamity!!

JPetersen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: August 05, 2023, 07:54:30 pm »
Works fine, again thanks!

edomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2023, 12:09:10 pm
« Reply #396 on: August 29, 2023, 03:09:44 pm »

I have a vertical Cab now with a new mame 0.257 thanks to Calamity and all involved here , works great !

Does anyone know if the UI can be turned vertically as well?

edomatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: September 02, 2023, 09:08:06 am »
anyone?
I noticed there is  an option in there called "UI rotate" (default  R ) but it does not seem to do anything

makya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 03:34:02 pm
« Reply #398 on: September 03, 2023, 05:19:30 pm »
Hi,

Try this:
rotate 1
ror 1
rol 0
autoror 0
autorol 0
flipx 0
flipy 0

or that:
rotate 1
ror 0
rol 1
autoror 0
autorol 0
flipx 0
flipy 0

It works here. UI is actually rotated.

edomatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: September 08, 2023, 12:05:01 pm »
thanks for that, it works now!  :cheers: