Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cocktail Cabinet with 2 trackballs... multiple IPAC's needed?  (Read 1511 times)

Ellegon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2021, 07:59:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cocktail Cabinet with 2 trackballs... multiple IPAC's needed?
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:52:05 am »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of building a cocktail cabinet with a friend of me. However, it's not set in stone yet if it will be cocktail, bartop or "just" a console to plug in a TV. Now he wants to have a trackball (mainly for the game missile command), and I would love to have the possibility of 4 players (e.g. for Gauntlet). With a console that shouldn't be a problem, however, with a cocktail setup I would need to have 2 trackball inputs. I have seen that the IPAC2 has a special input for the trackball, but the IPAC4 lacks them? Does this mean it would work with 2 IPAC2? Or, if using an IPAC4 (which would cover everything except the trackballs), could I attach the TB's in another way (special control interface for multiple trackballs)?

I just want to avoid planning in the wrong direction. So any input is appreciated...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:13:23 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Cocktail Cabinet with 2 trackballs... multiple IPAC's needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 10:11:57 am »
Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment:
- Are you sure you need/want two trackballs?
- How many games on your list (see steps 2 and 4 here) use/need two trackballs at one time?

For Missile Command, you can set the "cabinet type" dipswitch to "upright" if you want 2-player alternating play using just one trackball.
----------------------
Does this mean it would work with 2 IPAC2? Or, if using an IPAC4 (which would cover everything except the trackballs), could I attach the TB's in another way (special control interface for multiple trackballs)?
Either way will work.

- 2 IPac2's

- 1 IPac4 + an optical (mouse) encoder for each trackball, maybe an Arduino Pro Micro with a mouse firmware like StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 02:29:11 am »
Unless you absolutely love Rampart or Marble Madness (or... another simultaneous multiplayer trackball game?!) the panel is lots of expense and real estate for little return (says the guy with a dual trackball panel...)

Scott is correct with Arduino suggestion of course.
If you want a (somewhat) less intensive to set up interface, a U-HID is a great option too- but it is more $ and still needs some programming to work.
It will readily handle two trackballs at once.

From first hand experience I can attest that after a fair amount of trial and error in setup efforts that the U-HID  works grea.
AND Andy's product support is awesome.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Ellegon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2021, 07:59:55 am
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 08:00:12 am »
Thanks for the replies. And I love devils advocats... that's why I asked...

And the question was a fair one... I think there is probably only one game we need it for (mainly the wish of my friend: Missile Command). And to be honest, I haven't even checked if that supports cocktail setups or if I should go with 2 players just sharing one side if needed. But it's great to know that it would work if needed.

Thanks a lot for all your help and suggestions.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:13:23 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 09:09:26 am »
I haven't even checked if that supports cocktail setups
It does.

In the MAME dipswitch menu, set "cabinet type" to "cocktail".
- If you do that, you'll also want to enable multimouse in mame.ini so the P1 and P2 trackball inputs are kept separate.  i.e. Moving P1's trackball during P2's turn does not mess with P2's aim.

Scott

bollwerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2023, 08:27:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 05:28:55 pm »
If you want a (somewhat) less intensive to set up interface, a U-HID is a great option too- but it is more $ and still needs some programming to work.
It will readily handle two trackballs at once.
I bought a U-HID and the manual seems to indicate that only 3 axes are supported on a single USB port. (I'm not done setting it up yet, but I plan to use a single trackball and 2 spinners .. I had assumed one spinner axis would have to duplicate one of the trackball axes.
Am I missing something?
Or is this not accurate?

http://www.u-hid.com/u-config/u-hid%20Manual.pdf

Max 3 Quadrature mouse axes (X, Y and Z, Windows limitation)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:31:52 pm by bollwerk »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:04:42 pm »
You can designate pins to use 2 separate trackballs on a U-HID but you need to ensure that you are using section J5 on the board for one of them and J6 for the other.

You can get a remarkable number of devices working on those board at once if they are programmed correctly (but there is a bit of a learning curve on the programming protocol.)

If you continue to have issue with it you can message me or better yet, send Andy an email with a specific question and he will generally get back to you very quickly.

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.