Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

How do you (or would you) deal with playing both horizontal and vertical games on your cabinet?

Get a larger monitor, pick one orientation and deal with the occasional letter/pillarboxing.
1 (20%)
Design a rotating monitor set-up, either with motors and software or manually.
1 (20%)
Plop a large panel display in there, vertically, to fill up the whole monitor bay. Use dynamic bezels.
1 (20%)
Build two cabinets, one for the H games and one for the V games.
2 (40%)
Other (please explain).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Monitor Orientations and Comprimises  (Read 1247 times)

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Monitor Orientations and Comprimises
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
First, sorry if this should be in the Monitor/Video section. I was on the fence since this is not so much a technical question, but rather more about design. But if it needs to be moved, my apologies.

So, anyway, I've been playing around with those Arcade1up machines as of late and it's giving me the urge to make another cabinet. While it's a little ways off (I still have some house projects to finish up), it's never too early to start planning.  As usual, I've been going back-and-forth about how I want to handle the different monitor orientations. I know there's no "one-size-fits-all" solution, but I'm curious to hear others' opinions on this matter. For those interested, here's where I'm at:

Get a large monitor, deal with the black bars: I've done this before, but with a 25" CRT.  I don't have that size option with LCD panels (at least, not with 4:3 and my budget), so one orientation is going to suffer. (For info: My A1U Burgertime cabinet is vertical. Bad Dudes and Caveman Ninja are letterboxed. I almost don't mind it so much. Almost.)

Design a rotation monitor set-up: I have sketched-up a cabinet around a spinning monitor in the past that never made it past the drawing board. I love the idea, and it will get "oohs" and "ahhs". But I am not keen on the extra negative space needed to accommodate both orientations. Not to mention the extra complexity for such a mechanism, in designing, building and then later, maintaining moving parts that are prone to failure.

Large vertical LCD Display: I like this idea and love the look of the digital bezels that are specific to each game. But there's the extra expense of the display itself and many hours more on the software side of things. And it's a slippery slope. I feel that if I go with unique bezels, I'd need to get an LCD marquee as well.

Build two cabinets: Why not? I have the space and an understanding (or apathetic) significant other. But that means doubling-up on a lot of parts and material. On the plus side: they'd also be more straightforward builds.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts with regards to this extremely minor design dilemma. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Monitor Orientations and Comprimises
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:21:05 am »
The last two are the only rational options imho.  For me personally I'm dedicating a small room for arcade cabinets and I've decided to have a cabinet (either built or restored from an original) for each major type.  One vertical, one horizontal, one for trackball games, one for spinners, ect.  When all is said and done I'll probably have half a dozen cabs, but I'm in no hurry and I'll be able to play my games properly without a lot of compromise. 

I think a vertically oriented lcd is also a valid option.  The only issue I can think of is the fact that some homebrew stuff might not take well to a vertically oriented monitor.  Most issues should be fixable though. 

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 01:29:33 am »
The first option is the worst, it takes a lot of effort to get working and all the vertical games will look wrong because the the pixel art was created with scanlines that run in the opposite direction.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 09:49:11 am »
The last two are the only rational options imho.  For me personally I'm dedicating a small room for arcade cabinets and I've decided to have a cabinet (either built or restored from an original) for each major type.  One vertical, one horizontal, one for trackball games, one for spinners, ect.  When all is said and done I'll probably have half a dozen cabs, but I'm in no hurry and I'll be able to play my games properly without a lot of compromise. 

I wanted to add something about the "multiple cabs" option and this reminded me.  It is WAY EASIER to have multiple, specific purpose cabs than it used to be back when I first started this. Maybe 15 years ago it was a bit of a stretch with the space requirements and cost of CRT monitors, encoders, controls and computers fast enough to run MAME. But now there are tons of vendors and inexpensive options for almost everything. And decent displays that will do the job aren't that hard to come by.  (I still love CRT arcade monitors, but I've learned that I really don't need them as much as I used to.)  So that's the way I've been leaning as of late.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:22:14 am »
I think the last 2 options are pretty good ones.  The more time that passes the more I think I could live with out CRTs especially since folks have figured out how to use large LCDs in vertical orientation and define their own playfield.

Also, slim cabinets have come a long way too - back in the day people used to build them but still bolt on the CP that overhangs on the sides.  I've seen a bunch now that are slim and the CP is integrated into the design (between the side panels), which are much more appealing to me.  So building two or 3 of them is a valid option.  Besides, I'd hate to ever be "done" with building these things...

NuclearWarren

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:28:48 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 01:25:00 pm »
Here's an update on my arcade--multiple slim cabs of each control type. Its great to have several games in action at once!

I just finished the full-depth custom Simpsons cab for a friend, so she's posing in my row before she moves out.

BYOAC!

Nuke

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:01 am »
My first build was done ala option #1, actually using a component input consumer CRT mated through an Extron scan converter.
Plays a lot of widely varied games pretty darn well and everyone loves it, so it may just stay that way forever.

That said, if you have the room, go with option #4.

Almost all my future builds will be segregating into horizontal and vertical cabs.

I have hoarded enough tubes over the last few years that I will ONLY ever use CRTs.

It gets easier to do all the time and I feel it is worth the effort if you played these games in the wild as a kid, but I think these days the only downside to LCD use is system horsepower to emulate the look of a good old CRT (for those who care.)
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.