Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Optimal IPAC 8 button layout for xinput, dinput mode switching?  (Read 1587 times)

jthompson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:49:02 pm
    • Jays Arcade Classics Cabinet
Optimal IPAC 8 button layout for xinput, dinput mode switching?
« on: December 03, 2020, 05:28:11 pm »
Hi guys.
Its been a while since I posted anything over here. I'm looking for some advice on an 8 button per player layout. I built my first cab back in 2006 and used a 6 button layout like this.

1 2 3
4 5 6

I'm currently building a new system and will be going with an 8 button layout. I've got the new control panel I'm building set up like this currently. I'm using an i-Pac device (UltimateIO).

1  2  3  4
5  6  7  8

I understand depending on what game I'm playing in MAME, the layouts can be different, neo geo, mortal kombat, etc. In the past, I've always questioned the need for an 8 button layout, but after using retroarch for the last few years, I've realized that having 8 buttons would be convenient for mapping the shoulder and trigger buttons like modern controllers use for use with console systems. I was thinking an 8 button layout would work well for me and I could map it like this.

x  y  ls  rs
a  b  lt  rt
shoulder buttons to the right

or maybe like this

ls  x  y  rs
lt  a  b  rt
shoulder buttons on each side of main action buttons.

Keep in mind, the mapping above would be done in keyboard mode.

After some digging around (reading instructions is always secondary to me, LOL), I came across this on the ultimarc site about mode switching.

I hadn't really entertained the notion of using the controls as direct input or xinput controls before I saw that, but now I'm thinking I need to do this right to begin with so I don't tear my control panel apart later trying to re-wire stuff. Looking at that graphic sort of made my head explode a little, LOL. So IF, and this is a big IF, I wanted the layout to work with the built in directinput and xinput presets - modes 2 and 3 respectfully, I would need to wire the control panel like this.

3  4  5  6
1  2  7  8
shoulder buttons to the right

or

5  3  4  6
7  1  2  8
shoulder buttons on each side of main action buttons.

So I guess what I'm asking is, what are you 8 button layout guys that use use the mode switching feature doing? I know I can do a user set and select mode 4 or 5 instead of the built in modes 2 or 3. Should I just use those, remap what I already have set up and call it a day or should I strive to wire it to take advantage of the built in modes 2 and 3? Will wiring like this make it a pain to assign inputs later? I think it might but I'm not entirely sure. Am I overthinking things?  :banghead:

Here is what I've built so far.

crappy still from a video

BTW, if the layout looks familiar, its because I was inspired by the Rec Room Masters design and kind of copied that.