Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Would Donkey Kong original button config be able to play all vertical classics?  (Read 122 times)

Rockstead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:58:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Iím having a 4p pedestal built, but I caught the bug and Iíd like to have at least one stand-alone cabinet.

Going by [mention]paigeoliver [/mention] list of the best vertical games to play, would a DK Cabinet be able to play all of them using a 4-way and the original button config?

And without going crazy, what other stand alone cabinets would you build to capture a specific layout that would encompass many games? I can only think of needing a vertical Classic cab and a DK cab is so classic, it would be a great piece in a game room.

I figure a classic vertical games could even be played using just a PI, Iím not against building a PC but I just assume it doesnít need much for those games, and do they make a 60 in 1 type thing that is just classics or if that not worth bothering with considering a PI, my decision would not be based on cost.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:57:07 pm by Rockstead »

UnclearHermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:39:05 pm
  • Finally started building 2019,est. completion 2036
I have a list of these somewhere that I made when looking for my own project.  The conclusion I reached was that there were a number of games that needed a second button and a number that needed a 8-way joystick (including Bomb Jack, which was a key game for me).  DK only has one button.  If you want to go with genuine then Popeye has two buttons but is horizontal.  So youíll have to compromise somewhere, or live with the smaller game list.