Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Different Light Gun  (Read 1869 times)

str1der

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2021, 04:35:31 pm
  • Live it!
Different Light Gun
« on: February 19, 2004, 03:40:06 pm »
Anyone ever see this before. Do you think it would work with MAME?

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=4506

TalkingOctopus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 am
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
Re:Different Light Gun
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 03:50:50 pm »
I have not seen that lightgun around before.  If it a gunshot is a mouseclick then it will work with mame.  I think that it would work with MAME because of the requirements that it lists.

With that price, you really cannot go wrong...I might pick one up unless someone can produce a reason not too.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 03:57:30 pm »
very interesting--wonder if it supports two players simultaneous or not--wonder how it works?--so many questions--i may just order one and see!
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 04:07:21 pm »
Anyone ever see this before. Do you think it would work with MAME?

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=4506
I think AlanS17 bought that one and hated it.  Could be wrong, though.  You might want to do a search.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

archagon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2004, 02:09:05 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 04:14:17 pm »
It's a trap! :P

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 04:29:37 pm »
DOH!  I knew it was too good to be true...

papaschtroumpf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2013, 11:41:10 pm
  • Have a Cow!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 06:14:50 pm »

GamingGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2018, 06:04:30 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 07:57:24 pm »
I seem to recall seeing that gun brought up on the forums before (can't find it though), but as I recall the answer was No it won't work with MAME.  Also that fact that it says it works with House of the Dead and Virtua Squad 2, makes me think it's not compatable as well, as both of these are games handle the mouse in a special (non-standard) way.  The act-labs guns didn't work with these two games, until they released a special fix (see here).

I also noticed that act-labs is now advertising the fact that you can get two PC USB guns working in Analog+ MAME. (Way to go Urebelscum & JerryJanis!  ;) )

I just purchased two act-labs guns myself, and hope to get them working soon.  I was wanting the PC virtual guns, as they look better, but my wife convinced me to get the "ray guns" as the kids will be playing with them on our arcade as well.  At least she didn't say no to them altogether.  On the bright side the act-lab guns are supposed to be more accurate, and they seem to have more user support behind them.

TalkingOctopus

• Offline Offline
  • @!#?@!
    • My Arcade
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 09:48:43 pm »
I seem to recall seeing that gun brought up on the forums before (can't find it though), but as I recall the answer was No it won't work with MAME.  Also that fact that it says it works with House of the Dead and Virtua Squad 2, makes me think it's not compatable as well, as both of these are games handle the mouse in a special (non-standard) way.  The act-labs guns didn't work with these two games, until they released a special fix (see here).

I also noticed that act-labs is now advertising the fact that you can get two PC USB guns working in Analog+ MAME. (Way to go Urebelscum & JerryJanis!  ;) )

I just purchased two act-labs guns myself, and hope to get them working soon.  I was wanting the PC virtual guns, as they look better, but my wife convinced me to get the "ray guns" as the kids will be playing with them on our arcade as well.  At least she didn't say no to them altogether.  On the bright side the act-lab guns are supposed to be more accurate, and they seem to have more user support behind them.

Thanks for the heads up.  NO ONE GET THESE NOW!  The Act-Lab may be more accurate, but I really don't care for the space gun look.  I really wish there was a good alternative.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:49:06 pm by TalkingOctopus »

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 01:00:57 am »
Those 2 games use a different method to calculate the gun position on the screen. Its not compatible with mame.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

adonis_minus_20

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2020, 02:32:20 am
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 01:37:30 pm »
Here's a thread that I started about this gun, it also let's you play SNES gun games using ZSNES:

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=14912;start=msg116600#msg116600

As others have said, it's no good for MAME, but I'm glad that I bought one.  There's no other way to play HotD on the PC with a gun, and the Saturn U.S. version is a little pricey.

Jim