Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Daytona USA - Cars catch up  (Read 1340 times)

tangodownNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2024, 01:52:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Daytona USA - Cars catch up
« on: May 03, 2020, 03:11:42 am »
Hi all,

I am just wondering if there is a way to hack into the registry files of the original Daytona USA game to stop cars that are behind catching up by magic.

I have noticed that if a car that I am racing against has a crash and totally wipes off the road its not long before they catch up to me. I'm pretty sure that its the game helping them to catch up to keep the game interesting. But I would prefer if it was the drivers skill that made them catch up.

It would be great if somebody could confirm this and maybe tell me if this can be achieved.

Thanks

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Daytona USA - Cars catch up
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:42:06 pm »
Unfortunately it is known as the rubber band effect and is designed to stop you taking a completely unassailable lead in the game.  Shown at it worst by either Mario Kart 64 or Possibly that  Need for Speed game where you race down the mountain for the last race.  I know I took that bloody supercar off the road and yet it would still be right behind me again less than 30 seconds later :)

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 02:51:42 am »
There MUST be a way of stopping cars from automatically catching up!

When you play against the computer you don't automatically catch up to the lead car. So there must be something that you can tweak in the games ini file or something. Anybody??

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:24:28 am »
Go into the Test Menu—> Game System —> Difficulty, and set it to Easy. That might turn down the catch-up logic/rubber banding. That’s all you can really do.

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 04:54:43 pm »
Thanks mate. But I already tried that   :cry:

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 09:05:47 pm »
So I have researched and found a way to turn off catch up mode. You are welcome.
However, I need help to turn off tyre degradation when catch up mode is off.
The tyre deg is really unrealistic. After only one lap the car starts sliding everywhere and is impossible to control.
This should be an easy mod for somebody who can program games?
Please help!!!

No handicap mode: The game keeps races close by increasing the top speed of any car that is not in first place, which gives all players a chance to catch up. To disable this option (On "Twin Type" games only), press all four view change buttons at the course selection screen. A small white point will appear in the upper left corner of the screen. In multi-player races, No Handicap Mode will only be activated if more than half of the players enter this code. If the machine is configured for Grand Prix mode or Endurance mode as described above, entering the No Handicap Mode will have added effect of wearing away your tires during game. The amount of tire wear depends on your mileage and speed.