Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: An Update....  (Read 2630 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 01:42:43 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
An Update....
« on: April 11, 2020, 11:37:43 pm »
Since I wrote that open letter to everyone several months ago I figured it was only fair to give you all an update on things.  It's taken me all week to be calm enough to write this and unfortunately it looks like this is going to be posted right before Easter, so I'm sorry for that. 

My grandmother's Dementia worsened over the past couple of months to where she couldn't even move or speak.  She passed away Tuesday.  She suffered a lot those last few days... it seemed like even touching her caused her pain, so it was time.  I don't think there's such a thing as a good death in her condition, but it was as good as we could make it.  She died in her own bed, at home, in my arms with mom holding her hand.  I kept my promise and kept her out of a nursing home even though it about killed me and I took every opportunity to spend time with her when she was more at herself, so I have zero regrets. 

For better or for worse, she's probably the reason I'm here on this forum.  She bought me my NES.  At the time I was a bit isolated from the other children, but that Nintendo lured them in.  She realized this and made sure I always had some money when the weekend cam around to rent a game.  She is also responsible for my love of arcade games.  I was a sickly child so for several years in my life I had to get allergy shots every week.  The place where I got them closed early so she had to get me out of school a few minutes early.  The other kids picked on me because of this so she just decided to make it special for me.  We'd go get my shot and then head to the local arcade to play.  I think if a lot of us were honest with ourselves we'd realize that we got in this hobby not just for the games, but to try and recapture some sort of happy memory.  For me it was spending time with her. 

My feelings about her being gone are complicated.  The thing is, people with Dementia don't get better and her mind was so far gone that for her to live in that state would have been cruel.  I couldn't have taken care of her either.  My back has been in almost constant pain for the last year or so from lifting her and as bad as it had been, she was like a rag doll that last month... I just couldn't do it much longer.  So as cold-hearted as this sounds it was time.  Mostly I'm just glad she isn't suffering anymore. 

So this is going to be a period of transition for me.  Having not worked for 10 years I am in the unenviable position of looking for a job during the worst recession in 40 years.   So yeah, that'll be fun.  I've got enough money squirreled away for a few months though, so I'll be ok.  I've also got a lot of work to do.  Mom wants me to take the house, so for now I'm going to try and live there.  Honestly the past year or so I've been letting stuff go, so the house needs some tlc.  The main thing is to try and get the smell out of the living room carpet from her cat and dog (both dead) peeing on it during their last days.  It'll probably have to be ripped up and replaced, but I'm going to try and get Stanley Steamer in there after the lockdown.  On the bight side the house is a lot bigger than my white trash trailer.  Assuming I can get it livable, there should be plenty of room to have a proper arcade room.  The main living room is frikkin huge as well... like I might need an 80 inch tv huge.  Right now it feels weird being in there... it's like she's out somewhere and she'll be back any time.  I keep turning corners expecting to run into her.  I've lost people before though, so I know how this works.  I've already started cleaning out the house.. it's like a band-aid, you have to get it over with or it'll be harder later, or at least that's how it works for me.  It turns out the animal shelter will take a lot of her remaining meds and medical supplies and seeing as how she loved animals so much I figure she'd get a kick out of that.  I think the woman had enough clothes to stock an entire goodwill... she didn't really throw stuff out. 

So yeah that's where I'm at.  I'm not sure what kind of a presence I'll be around these forums for a while.  Obviously I'll still chat, but I'm not really working on any projects.  I don't have the time and honestly I'm just not in the mood.  Hopefully that will change.   Sorry to be a Debbie downer around Easter.... I don't know I just felt like I needed to say something. 

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: An Update....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 12:10:56 am »
My heart is with you, friend. I can't imagine how impossibly difficult things are for you right now, but I really wish you the best of luck with all the challenges going on. You know where we are when you need to chat.  :cheers:

arfink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:13:14 am »
I've not been around here for long, but definitely look up to ya as a fantastic contributor. Thanks for sharing the story and you'll be in the family prayers for Easter if that's a thing you're cool with.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:52 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:45:48 am »
I know what you are going through Howard. My heart goes out to you. I am sorry for your loss. I admire your dedication to the ones you love.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:53:37 am »
Just wanted to second what Mike said. My condolences for your loss, and I admire your courage and keeping your promise to care for grandmother. It takes a lot of strength to endure seeing a loved one slowly deteriorate, especially one that is close to you. My heart goes out to you and your fam.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 02:39:31 am »
I sm sorry for your loss Howard, These things are never easy.
I know I have told you this before but you are a good man and your actions speak louder than any words.

I am sure you know that your grandmother loved you and would be tremendously proud of you even if she was unable to communicate it.

My heart goes out to you and your family and I wish you the best in this difficult time.

Take care my friend and see you around.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 02:39:34 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:17 am »
Sorry for your loss, Howard. Dementia is a terrible thing for all involved.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 08:18:48 am »
I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. Sounds like you two had a truly special relationship. She took care of you during a rough time in your life and you reciprocated. We will keep you in our thoughts during this challenging time and will be here when you need a distraction.  :)

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2024, 08:00:52 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 03:08:14 pm »
may God be with you in this hard times  :cheers:

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 03:32:37 pm »
I'm sorry to hear, Howard. I hope you find your peace in the memories.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:27:21 am
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 06:28:33 pm »
Sorry to hear of your loss Howard I know you sacrificed a huge chunk of your own life in order to take care of your grandmother.  I hope you get some positive energy over the coming days, obviously plenty of that coming to you from your fellow BYOACers!

With regard to finding work, you're a clever dude, I think there will be opportunities for people with skills like yours post pandemic.

If you are busy with cleaning up your Grandma's place, well that’s a project, keep us updated with how that's going.  :cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 06:03:19 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss Howard.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 07:00:56 pm »
Thanks for the update. I'm sorry blah blah blah....

Replace the carpet, and maybe the subfloor. 

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 11:45:11 am »
Sorry for your loss Howard and totally understand where you are coming from, she's in a better place now.  Horrid disease :(.  Unfortunately, Alzheimer and Dementia is something that affects many of us in some ways. 

The best advice I could offer you after dealing with stress for such a long time is to remember to breath man.  Obviously I don't mean just breath in and out but get outside, find a way to relax and give yourself time to heal and find some balance in everything that fills your day.

Best of luck with the house, fixing it up is also a good venue to honor her memory.