Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade vga cable pinout  (Read 3436 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:26:37 pm
Arcade vga cable pinout
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:49:09 am »
So im building a pacman battle royale type of arcade and im gonna use groovymame with a 19 inch crt monitor. I used to buy those cheap jamma to pc interfaces, but since i have a chinese encoder , and i wont use many buttons, i decided to went the old school way, just a plain vga cable, now i do have an know card i was using with groovymame on another project that i sold, the guy wanted to use an bigger lcd monitor and i got my monitor and card back. So anyway i found this image for an arcade vga cable, but i also found others that say the cable has to have resitors on it, so i was wondering if someone can supply a correct pin-out image for a regular cable i can build for this project, im comfortable using a multimeter to find the correct cables, thanks for any help.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:42:16 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Arcade vga cable pinout
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:06:55 pm »
19" CRT monitor means a 15kHZ arcade setup, yes? IF so, you have two options. Easiest might be to enable composite sync in VMM, which will simply push c-sync out of your GPU, and you need RGB + H-sync lines from the GPU, going straight into the monitor. Otherwise you can try a 500R resistor in each sync line, then a 1k pot, then combine, then into the monitor - dial the pots around and you should get a stable image somewhere.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:01:58 am »
19" CRT monitor means a 15kHZ arcade setup, yes? IF so, you have two options. Easiest might be to enable composite sync in VMM, which will simply push c-sync out of your GPU, and you need RGB + H-sync lines from the GPU, going straight into the monitor. Otherwise you can try a 500R resistor in each sync line, then a 1k pot, then combine, then into the monitor - dial the pots around and you should get a stable image somewhere.
Arent you aver exaggerating everything? all it took in the past was, an arcadevga or 15khz capable video card, (wich todays its easyer thanks to this drivers) and a brekout cable, wich i allready found my answer , and no, i dont need resistors on the cable. But thanks for trying to help.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 05:21:40 pm »
Over-exaggerating? Do you mean over-building? And if you had already found your answer, why did you ask?

Sometimes you might want to use separate H- and V-sync. I certainly do, as i want the flicker filter for 480i. Some arcade monitors might not care if you just splice H- and V-sync together, most PVM's certainly won't, though most TV's will. Using composite sync is pushing TTL levels anyway, isn't it? I've never actually checked on that.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 08:28:35 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 12:06:11 am »
I’d listen to Buttersoft, he knows his stuff.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 11:15:31 am »
Over-exaggerating? Do you mean over-building? And if you had already found your answer, why did you ask?

Sometimes you might want to use separate H- and V-sync. I certainly do, as i want the flicker filter for 480i. Some arcade monitors might not care if you just splice H- and V-sync together, most PVM's certainly won't, though most TV's will. Using composite sync is pushing TTL levels anyway, isn't it? I've never actually checked on that.
Sorry, i didnt mean to look like a jerk, but i did, sorry, i have built alot of this things in the past, after i found those cheap jamma to pc devices, i stoped building cables, then after using lcds, it was even easyer.Now last time i used that monitor the image was so smotth and crisp that i wanted to give it a chance for a pacman battle royale style cab. I was searching for some info, and lots of folks use resistors on their cables and some dont.
So let me start over again.
I know a simple cable would work, straight cable no resistors. Ok if you know a better way, lets ---smurfing--- doit. Can you point me in a right direction to best do that, perhaps a pinout image or even better a tutorial? im using an old card with the drivers i get from here. and it works nice, so if adding resistors or whatever to the cable makes it even better, i would take the risk. I do have to mention , ill put only vertical cocktail games on this thing, so im not sure if the efforth would be worthy, please let me know what you got. Thanks for your time.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:27:52 am
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 11:53:21 pm »
You mean VGA->JAMMA for arcade monitor? Easy-peasy. Just use a JPAC from Ultimarc. Includes JAMMA adapter, video amp and keyboard encoder/interface for 2-player controls. Plug-and-play.

https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interfaces/j-pac-en/

If you have an encoder, no JAMMA, then you will still need a video amplifier as PC RGB signals are too weak for arcade monitors - you can also get these video amps from Ultimarc (and other places), very cheap. It'll probably still work without a video amp but the brightness/colours will be very weak. You can make your own connection and even video amps to save $10-$20, but it usually isn't worth the effort.

Check out my completed projects!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 09:04:37 pm »
Blame the medium. It just seemed a little out of character - you seemed completely normal in last thread i remember you from :)

I don't have a schematic. The pinouts should be easy to find on google, and the build details are in the post higher up.