Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 27" square LCD monitors - it's come full circle (or square)  (Read 1843 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
27" square LCD monitors - it's come full circle (or square)
« on: January 03, 2020, 02:39:42 pm »
Just when we thought square monitors larger than 19" were a thing of the past, someone on another forum showed me this Eizo 27" (26.5") square LCD:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eizo-FlexScan-EV2730Q-26-5-Square-IPS-LED-Monitor-Black-EV2730QFX-BK/372146595102?epid=219563970&hash=item56a5aa651e:g:oNQAAOSwv9peDILk

They have a 1920 x 1920 res (1:1 aspect) and a response time of 5ms. They are apparently meant to make programmers more productive or something but they seem more suited towards vintage gamers. They work for both vertical and horizontal arcades without turning the screen.

I'm not an LCD guy but I want one of these for some reason.

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
Re: 27" square LCD monitors - it's come full circle (or square)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:20:47 pm »
At the moment, it's probably more cost effective to go the vertical LCD/OLED TV with physical bezel route, especially for custom builds. You can get a lot of screen for not a lot of money if you don't need a third party to cut the panel down for you.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: 27" square LCD monitors - it's come full circle (or square)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:29:10 pm »
At the moment, it's probably more cost effective to go the vertical LCD/OLED TV with physical bezel route, especially for custom builds. You can get a lot of screen for not a lot of money if you don't need a third party to cut the panel down for you.

They certainly aren't cost effective. It would be better if one of the more consumer-focused brands released a more budget friendly option. Still there aren't many large size gaming monitors with a response time that low that are affordable. You'd need to get something in the 40-50" range to get an equivalent usable screen area for old 4:3 arcade games on a 16:9 display.

Someone suggested them as drop-in replacement for 25-27" arcade cabs. Personally, I'd rather put a new tri-sync crt in an arcade cab than any HD flat screen but some people have good reasons to use LCDs.

I can't see cutting down a 16:9 panel and making a custom bezel being a serious option for diy arcade fans, It's a skill-set and knowledge base that 99.9% of us don't have. I have only ever seen it done in the advertising space. You'd have to consider your own time to be worthless to take on that kind of project as a cost-saving measure unless you already knew what you were doing.