Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games  (Read 4611 times)

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:32:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:04:50 am »
Hey guys,

Has anyone achieved playing link play on MAME of these across multiple pcs?

I can get it working between 2 x mame running from 1 pc but my attempts over LAN never worked

Only games ive tried but all linked fine was San Francisco Rush, San Francisco Rush The Rock, San Francisco Rush 2049 & Vapor TRX

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2020, 04:14:46 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 12:06:10 pm »
The old PC I used as player 2 died ages ago, so no more networking fun times for me anymore. Could use the Barcade for simple stuff, but it doesn't have a GPU so don't think it'd handle complex 3D MAME games

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2020, 05:38:44 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 01:51:14 pm »
Mame doesn't really make use of the GPU unfortunately. It emulates the arcade gpu in software via the CPU. That's why you need an absolute monster processor to run even fairly simple-looking 3d games in mame. My I7 3930K 6-core 4.2ghz processor is barely enough to run Time Crisis in mame without the extreme overclocking setting while newer PC based 3d arcade games like Mario Kart DX in Teknoparrot run fine on my 10-year-old laptop.

I've never managed to link two PC's in mame either so I'd also like to know how it's done and which games it can be done with. It's well documented in other emulators but I assumed it wasn't an option in mame.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
Sorry, link works fine across multiple pcs

I was trying to do it with pc and laptop (via wifi), it needs to be ethernet really as wifi was too high latency i guess
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:52:37 pm by Boomslang »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2020, 04:53:25 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 03:00:31 pm »
What is required to link the games on one PC? I can use this to unlock the last few paintjobs in Rush 2049 (on code 007007007).

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 03:35:18 pm »
credits to tedgreen for original information which ive modified slightly

For Multiple MAME on Single PC Link

1 - Install openvpn https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
2 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
3 - Go to change adapter settings
4 - See if you have any TAP-Windows-Adapter V9 installed already
5 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
6 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (This will install a new tap adapter for 2nd MAME, skip step 7 if you already have one installed when you looked in step 4)
7 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAD NO TAP ADAPTER INSTALLED ALREADY IN STEP 4)
8 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center & Change adapter settings again
9 - Select both tap adapters and right click then Bridge Connections
10 - Could get an error here
11 - Right click on the Network Bridge and select properties. Make sure both tap adapters have checkboxes selected in the top window
12 - Start sfrushrk in the first directory and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
13 - Start sfrushrk in the second directory and then change the serial number in the dip switches to something other than 6.
14 - For the second sfrushrk enter service mode and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
15 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first mame cfg directory. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
16 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second mame cfg directory. In the network area change so that interface="1" .
17 - Start the two instances of mame sfrushrk in the two separate directories.

For Multiple PC Link
Wouldn't work for me via wifi, please use direct ethernet connection

1 - Install openvpn https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
2 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
3 - Go to change adapter settings
4 - See if you have any TAP-Windows-Adapter V9 installed already
5 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin (If you already have one installed when you looked in step 4, Skip to Step 7)
6 - Right click on addtap.bat and select run as administrator (If you already have one installed when you looked in step 4, Skip to Step 7)
7 - Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center & Change adapter settings again
8 - Select tap adapter and your main ethernet adapter right click then Bridge Connections
9 - Could get an error here
10 - Right click on the Network Bridge and select properties. Make sure tap adapter & ethernet have checkboxes selected in the top window
11 - Start sfrushrk in the first PC and then exit mame after the rush the rock splash screen appears.
12 - Start sfrushrk in the second PC and then change the serial number in the dip switches to something other than 6.
13 - For the second sfrushrk PC enter service mode and change the car color from red to something else. Exit mame.
14 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the first PC cfg folder. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
15 - Edit sfrushrk.cfg in the second PC cfg folder. In the network area change so that interface="0" .
16 - Start the two instances of mame sfrushrk in the two separate directories.

IF UNSURE OF INTERFACE NUMBER
load mame with -listnetwork flag and see where your tap adapter comes in list. Interface only looks at the Virtual adapters installed eg if you are using
TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #3 you would generally be Interface 2. Interface 0 is first tap adapter, if you use 2nd tap adapter its interface 1 etc

You can also press tab and goto Network devices on each mame and ensure it says your Tap adapter you want to use. If it's blank, change interface number in cfg folder again

To Remove TAP Adapters

1 - Browse to C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin
2 - Right click on deltapall.bat and select run as administrator
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:08:11 pm by Boomslang »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 04:32:34 pm »
I'm getting stuck on Step 9.  I can install as many TAP adapters as I want but nothing will pop up here.  When I uninstall them with deltapall.bat, it will list all the ones I installed and delete them.

The installed adapters show up in my Device Manager but with errors.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:51:00 pm by DarthMarino »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 04:53:17 pm »
What do you mean? Does it not bridge your 2 adapters?

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 04:55:36 pm »
No, they don't show up at all in network connections.  Just my usual ethernet and wi-fi that were there before.  They appear in my device manager but have errors.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 05:11:58 pm »
Hm sorry I'm not sure

Gotta solve that error then

Just googled it and try this

open cmd prompt via Start Menu, 'Windows System', right click on CMD (DOS prompt), More, then select Run as Administrator
on a command line type:

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on

This turns off integrity checking of unsigned driver - allows unsigned drivers to be installed
- run / install your software, openVPN TAP software

Test and then run the following to turn integrity checking back on

bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks off
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:15:17 pm by Boomslang »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 05:57:15 pm »
Hmm. Somehow it started working.  I deleted the entries manually from the Device Manager including the drivers and then they installed correctly. Odd.  Thank you for the instructions.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 06:53:02 pm »
I made some progress but still not dice.  The bridging worked.  When I go into MAME, I have one instance showing LAN and the other showing LAN2. I changed one instance to cabinet 2 (since there is no color option) however the 2049 games have no SN dip switch so I'm not sure if that's why they aren't communicating.  Rush The Rock doesn't have this dip switch either.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 07:29:21 pm »
Are you running latest mame?

They are there for sure

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 08:03:07 pm »
Now I am! Thanks again.

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2020, 12:49:18 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 12:46:13 pm »
Holy crap someone had guts to do this guide.

Anyway, the linking hardware on the Seattle and Vegas games aren't 100% so expect some bugs. Hyperdrive doesn't link at all (either the two instances won't talk to each other or game freezes at track select). I'm not really in the mood to have multiple MAME directories right now. An interesting test would be to link MAME to an actual machine. The procedure would be the same as linking to another pc except the second pc would be an actual Seattle/Vegas pcb.

I would like to see MAME make use of the GPU for these Voodoo games. My PC, running an i5 8600k @4.4 GHz can barely run Road Burners at full speed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:54:43 pm by Hydreigon »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2020, 05:38:44 pm
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 02:48:05 pm »

Anyway, the linking hardware on the Seattle and Vegas games aren't 100% so expect some bugs. Hyperdrive doesn't link at all (either the two instances won't talk to each other or game freezes at track select). I'm not really in the mood to have multiple MAME directories right now. An interesting test would be to link MAME to an actual machine. The procedure would be the same as linking to another pc except the second pc would be an actual Seattle/Vegas pcb.

I would like to see MAME make use of the GPU for these Voodoo games. My PC, running an i5 8600k @4.4 GHz can barely run Road Burners at full speed.

Me too but the Mame guys seem to be more concerned with accurate hardware emulation than actually making games run well. Apparently, patching old games to use modern GPUs would be in conflict with their stated aim of "preservation"... or something...

For now, it's best to just use mame for 2d games and other emulators or consoles for 3d stuff. We'll all be long dead by the time the Mame team figures out how to make complex 3d graphics run well without a dedicated GPU.

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 05:39:04 pm »

Me too but the Mame guys seem to be more concerned with accurate hardware emulation than actually making games run well. Apparently, patching old games to use modern GPUs would be in conflict with their stated aim of "preservation"... or something...

For now, it's best to just use mame for 2d games and other emulators or consoles for 3d stuff. We'll all be long dead by the time the Mame team figures out how to make complex 3d graphics run well without a dedicated GPU.
Mame has possible plans for their BGFX renderer to make use of the GPU sometime in the future. Preliminary support was added as of 0.215.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 06:02:27 am »
If you're only interested in getting the Sega M1 comm board games linked (Virtua Racing, Outrunners et cetera) it's possible to do both multi-system and single PC link (or a combination of both) without needing to download any additional programs and just setting up MAME to run as multiple machines and adding some additional info in your MAME ini file. This is the video I used to get it all set up originally
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:16:48 am by MrThunderwing »

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:51:40 pm
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 02:48:19 pm »
If you're only interested in getting the Sega M1 comm board games linked (Virtua Racing, Outrunners et cetera) it's possible to do both multi-system and single PC link (or a combination of both) without needing to download any additional programs and just setting up MAME to run as multiple machines and adding some additional info in your MAME ini file. This is the video I used to get it all set up originally

Yes that's what Ive been doing since Sailorsat posted the VR details years ago. Are the other linked racers not the same process? I always wanted to link final lap and rush etc but never got around to it.

totoplay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2020, 02:59:17 pm
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 12:08:27 pm »
Hey guys,

Has anyone achieved playing link play on MAME of these across multiple pcs?

I can get it working between 2 x mame running from 1 pc but my attempts over LAN never worked

Only games ive tried but all linked fine was San Francisco Rush, San Francisco Rush The Rock, San Francisco Rush 2049 & Vapor TRX

LAN across multiple pcs doesn't work for me following your instructions with MAME 0.217.
I've tried to change interface number from 0 to 9 manually with no luck.
Going to "Network Devices" and then trying to go left/right to check numbers crashes MAME:
Fatal error: Attempt to register save state entry after state registration is closed! Module timer tag osd_netdev::recv name m_param

Network bridge and LAN is OK (2P Virtua Racing works fine with it).

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 08:04:46 am »

Yes that's what Ive been doing since Sailorsat posted the VR details years ago. Are the other linked racers not the same process? I always wanted to link final lap and rush etc but never got around to it.

I believe the method I'm talking about is specific only to a small handful of Sega System 32 and Model 1 board games. Off the top of my head, I think the complete list is:
Virtua Racing
Virtua Formula
Wing War
Outrunners
F1 Super Lap
Rad Rally
I'm not sure about any others. Sailorsat is the guru when it comes to this type of stuff (as well as it's architect).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:06:55 am by MrThunderwing »

totoplay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 11:00:08 am »
Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games

Keep trying with sfrush and sfrushrk but LAN (2 PCs) doesn't work at all. I'm using different serial number and car color.

Network devices > Tap adapter is defined for each PC.

Again, LAN is OK with all SEGA titles using MAME 0.217 and network bridge.

Is something special required for mame.ini and vegas/seattle games?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:05:01 am by totoplay »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 02:44:02 pm »
No

Just the steps I said

Perhaps your lan isnt low enough latency or something

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:51:40 pm
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 07:54:53 pm »
No

Just the steps I said

Hey Boomslang. Does having the TAP adapter installed affect other link emu like m2 etc? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:58:13 am by vandale »

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 12:20:38 am »
No

Just the steps I said

I've been told the emulation of the device responsible for networking is in a buggy state. Some games won't even network even on a network bridge (Hyperdrive for example).

totoplay

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 09:00:57 am »
Thanks for the info Boomslang and Hydreigon.

I was wondering what it could be as I tried everything possible and my network is very stable... I'm able to play Indy 500 (2 simultaneous players) for 15-20 minutes with no problem, finishing races and restarting.

BrownEye02

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2020, 07:36:50 pm
  • RUSH
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 07:32:11 pm »
Sorry to bring this back from the grave but I for the life of me can't get MAME to find the TAP adapter.
  • I've got the TAP driver installed and listed in network adapters with no device manager faults.
  • I've tried several versions of MAME but everyone just gives "No network adapters were found" when running -listnetwork
  • I've tried running MAME as admin and even CMD
  • When setting sfrushrk.cfg interface to 0 or 1 I noticed the cfg gets reset to -1
Am I missing some MAME ini config entry that I need to enable to turn on network? Some forms noted a network menu in the main MAME screen but I don't have that.
Would love to get this working for a bit of local multiplayer fun.