Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: having two Aimtrak lightguns is the best way to lose your mind!  (Read 5491 times)

lay72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2023, 05:44:57 am
  • I hate waste time to fix...I wanna play!
2860/5000
Hello everyone! first of all I apologize for my English ... I am Italian. I immediately pass to the inexplicable problem that has been ruining my life for about a month! having already had an aimtrak for a couple of years ... I thought it well to buy a second one to play with my girlfriend and some friends from time to time ... also driven by the cabin games that are emulated and updated since 2017 .. ..sega, taito etc ... but ... I never did! I spent a lot of my time, for a month now ... to download and set various games, emulators, loaders and various programs ... in short, I didn't sleep almost overnight! and at the end? after spending more time to properly configure the two guns in ultimarc's ultility, nothing works! in practice, in any game and with any emulator, there is a sort of conflict between the two guns ... so the second gun is always detected as gun 1 .... in the emulator model 2 (house of the dead ) the sights of the two guns get stuck at the corners of the screen, making it impossible to calibrate the guns in game ... I tried everything .... also to change the IDs of the guns, both in the emulator ini and in the ultility aimtrak .... but nothing to do..always the same problem ... you can't aim for anything ... so the game remains unplayable, also, shoot and reload with the gun 1 .... consume and also reloads hits for the second and vice versa. This happens in any game and emulator .... including MAME ... where in truth, you can aim well with the two pistols .... but as I said earlier, the second gun is detected as gun 1. ..with all the problems I have already explained. I also tried Alien extermination .... the two sights are impossible to command and jump from one part of the screen to the other like crazy ... with consumption of shots and recharge as already explained .... same goes with gaia attack 4 .... unplayable! I really tried everything .... the first gun has the firmware 9.19, while the second the 9.20, so I thought that was the problem ... and I updated the firmware of the second gun .... which strangely in the utility aimtrak recently downloaded, appears to be updated to 9.19 .... so now both guns have firmware 9.19 .... nothing to do, I have not solved anything ... and now with no more strength and no desire to continue. ..I gave up! having two aimtrak ... is the best way to go crazy! will the second gun be by chance? I don't know what to do and think anymore .... I hope for your help! I am desperate! my OS is win 10 pro 1903 .... sorry for the long outburst .... but some of you, I think can understand me! everything in the aimtrak utility works very well and with both guns, I can control the mouse on the desktop very well .... help please !!  :banghead: :cry:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: having two Aimtrak lightguns is the best way to lose your mind!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 04:55:25 am »
Firstly please try to break up your rants into paragraphs as they are very hard to read.

Secondly I can promise you that 2 aim traks will work in mame, Aliens, M2 etc as mine do so.

So regarding your problem a few things you can try.

Firstly check that each gun has a seperate device number in the ultimarc utiliy.
To do this plug one gun in at a time and set them to different ID’s before plugging in both together.
Mine are set to 1 & 8 but it should not matter as long as they are different.

Regarding the M2 emu that one is a PITA to set up but look up demulshooter by our very own light gun guru argonlefou here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149714.0.html

You will also need to edit the config file for the M2 emu quick google search should help with that.

Try that and get back to us.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:14:40 pm »
Also, check in the Aimtrak software if you have your gun set-up as a mouse or analog controller. It usually works better when it outputs as an analog controller but the Model 2 emulator only allows mouse input for gun games for some reason. If you can't move the crosshairs at all then you could have is set as an analog controller.

You can also try Troubleshooter 2, a bit of free software written by one of the guys on this forum. It's to help deal with some of the issues with using two guns in emulators and helps you set up controls properly when the emulator won't. It only works with the old version of the Model 2 emulator, not the current version so check you have the right one.

Just one other thing as you said the crosshairs were jumping all over the place... You are using just one sensor bar when you use two guns right? Trying to use two would certainly confuse the guns.

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 07:15:15 am »
Firstly please try to break up your rants into paragraphs as they are very hard to read.

Secondly I can promise you that 2 aim traks will work in mame, Aliens, M2 etc as mine do so.

So regarding your problem a few things you can try.

Firstly check that each gun has a seperate device number in the ultimarc utiliy.
To do this plug one gun in at a time and set them to different ID’s before plugging in both together.
Mine are set to 1 & 8 but it should not matter as long as they are different.

Regarding the M2 emu that one is a PITA to set up but look up demulshooter by our very own light gun guru argonlefou here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149714.0.html

You will also need to edit the config file for the M2 emu quick google search should help with that.

Try that and get back to us.
Thank you so much for replying and I apologize for my long and heavy outburst ... I had already changed the IDs on the guns several times ... but I wanted to try inserting one gun at a time, changing the IDs again ... how do I you suggested .... in fact, I set gun 1 to device 1 and gun 2 to device 8 ... just like you did ... nothing to do ... same problem. I know the 48-page thread about demulshooter .... surely in that thread there will be those who have had my same problem .... but it is hard to read 48 pages ... imagine for me that I am Italian! I followed the installation and configuration of the various games and emulators (including the files) as in the argonlefou instructions on the demulshooter github page .... so I just have to give up ... I don't know what else to do. .repeto, in the ultimarc ultility settings ... the guns are detected correctly ... and everything works ....  :cry:

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:20:18 am »
Also, check in the Aimtrak software if you have your gun set-up as a mouse or analog controller. It usually works better when it outputs as an analog controller but the Model 2 emulator only allows mouse input for gun games for some reason. If you can't move the crosshairs at all then you could have is set as an analog controller.

You can also try Troubleshooter 2, a bit of free software written by one of the guys on this forum. It's to help deal with some of the issues with using two guns in emulators and helps you set up controls properly when the emulator won't. It only works with the old version of the Model 2 emulator, not the current version so check you have the right one.

Just one other thing as you said the crosshairs were jumping all over the place... You are using just one sensor bar when you use two guns right? Trying to use two would certainly confuse the guns.
many thanks to you for the response and availability .... I only have a bar for both guns ... and I tried to set the guns in joystick emulation instead of mouse..it doesn't detect any movement ... so worse ! I just have to try troubleshooter 2 .... but demulshooter is nothing more than the advanced version of troubleshooter? however I will try ..... a download link please?  :'(

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 07:33:37 am »
Yeah demulshooter is trouble shooter just modified for better compatibility.

Just to concentrate on one emu at a time prob best to start with mame.

So you said you have fixed all the controller ID’s which is good.

So after that have you changed the mame.ini file to enable dual mouse etc?

Have you set up the lightguns in the player options in mame? I.e to set X and Y axis?

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 02:39:44 pm »
Yeah demulshooter is trouble shooter just modified for better compatibility.

Just to concentrate on one emu at a time prob best to start with mame.

So you said you have fixed all the controller ID’s which is good.

So after that have you changed the mame.ini file to enable dual mouse etc?

Have you set up the lightguns in the player options in mame? I.e to set X and Y axis?
1) I modified a script file that I had already created in the mame's ctlrl folder, which I called: "lightguns" ... now I updated the ID numbers in that script
2) I checked that in the .ini file of the mame, in the "core input"> ctrlr section, the script that I called "lightguns" is selected
3) I tried to change the "multimouse" entry in the ini file from 0 to 1 and vice versa, to see if something changed .... nothing to do
4) I set in the mame in game options, both input general and input this machine .... nothing to do! both the x and y axes and the trigger of gun 2 ... are detected as gun 1! crazy stuff!  :badmood:

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 01:05:09 pm »
I wonder...could the second gun be defective?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 01:23:23 pm »
Doubtful its defective, Try to play with just that gun and see if it works ok.

Just to check have you worked through this manual to confirm you have set all settings correctly?
https://www.ultimarc.com/AimTrak%20Setup%20Guide.pdf
Paying special attention to pages 3, 9 and 11.

If you still have trouble I can only suggest contacting Andy at Ultimarc, He is always willing to help and may even be along and see this thread at some point as he frequents here often.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 01:42:54 pm »
You should be able to check if both guns are functioning properly in the Aimtrak software. If they both work there then it's related to how the emulators are set up. It's always worth knowing before you waste hours messing with settings.

I'm not 100% clear on whether the issue is with all emulators and PC games or if it is specific to the model 2 emulator (which often has trouble with 2 player light gun games without troubleshooter or demul shooter). If the problem occurs with all software then it could be a hardware issue.

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 09:25:19 pm »
thanks again for your answers and your availability ... I downloaded another version of MAME, redone all the various steps in the emulator again ... and now the two guns work correctly with the MAME! only that, gun 1 is detected as gun 3, while gun 2 is detected as gun 2 .... I wonder, ID 1 does the MAME emulator assign it to the mouse? the other problems with model 2 and PC games ... like alien extermination, haunted museum .... remain and most of the time, both guns are detected as gun 1 .... with consequent conflict of axes ... maybe I should try using an older version of demulshooter ....

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 12:35:39 pm »
Ahh that is good news :)

Dont worry about the gun ID numbers in mame they do not really matter what number they are detected as.
It only matters that gun x is assigned to player 1 and gun y is player 2.

If you have fixed the windows usb device ID’s then you should never need to change them.

So regarding the M2 emu....

This one is a pain in the ass to set up and involves some serious head aches and tinkering.

Firstly I seem to remember it only runs properly on the older version of M2 emu.

Secondly you need to make changes to the config file to enable multi mouse support.

Thirdly you need demul shooter running before you load the emulator.

Also I remember some games had to have the guns enabled or calibrated in the in game test menu before they would work so be sure to press your test button and have a look through the options for each game.

Thats all I can think of right now off the top of my head but I will look at the config file thing later for more pointers.

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 02:50:54 pm »

Dont worry about the gun ID numbers in mame they do not really matter what number they are detected as.

If you have fixed the windows usb device ID’s then you should never need to change them.

This one is a pain in the ass to set up and involves some serious head aches and tinkering.

Firstly I seem to remember it only runs properly on the older version of M2 emu.

Secondly you need to make changes to the config file to enable multi mouse support.

Also I remember some games had to have the guns enabled or calibrated in the in game test menu before they would work so be sure to press your test button and have a look through the options for each game.

Thats all I can think of right now off the top of my head but I will look at the config file thing later for more pointers.
Thanks Titchgamer...you're very Kind!
about model 2 ... I set the ini, setting rawinput to 1 and trying in all possible combinations RawDevP1 and RawDevP2 from 0 to 9 ... all possible combinations! (the value 3 makes me control the mouse and depending on whether I set it on RAwDevP1 or RawDevP2 ... I get the red or blue viewfinder) at the end, I can only set the two guns, which in my case correspond to the values 1 and 2. ... it doesn't matter if set in RawDevP1 or RawDevP2 .... anyway, these values detect my two guns .... pity that the sights only move jerkily along the corners of the screen ... making any calibration impossible in game (I'm always trying hotd) .... nothing to do ... thinking then, that apart from the MAME ... everything else suffers from the same problem .... the desperation continues .... and the mystery remains unsolved ...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 02:57:48 pm »

Thanks Titchgamer...you're very Kind!
about model 2 ... I set the ini, setting rawinput to 1 and trying in all possible combinations RawDevP1 and RawDevP2 from 0 to 9 ... all possible combinations! (the value 3 makes me control the mouse and depending on whether I set it on RAwDevP1 or RawDevP2 ... I get the red or blue viewfinder) at the end, I can only set the two guns, which in my case correspond to the values 1 and 2. ... it doesn't matter if set in RawDevP1 or RawDevP2 .... anyway, these values detect my two guns .... pity that the sights only move jerkily along the corners of the screen ... making any calibration impossible in game (I'm always trying hotd) .... nothing to do ... thinking then, that apart from the MAME ... everything else suffers from the same problem .... the desperation continues .... and the mystery remains unsolved ...

I dont recall having to change the rawdev parameters. But rawinput does need to be set to 1.

Look under model 2 on this github for full set up instructions:

https://github.com/argonlefou/DemulShooter/wiki/Model2

Also make sure you are using version 1.0 of M2. NOT the newer version.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 05:15:25 pm »
It's worth checking which device number the model 2 emulator and Demul shooter / Troubleshooter 2 sees the Aimtraks as. For some reason they see it as device 4 on mine while mame lists it as device 3. When you unpack demul there is a second app under the main one which allows you to check this. You need this info when you install the scripts for the model 2 emulator.

Once you have it set up right, never change USB ports or add new devices. I'm always trying new devices so I end up having to redo the controls every time I play...

argonlefou

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:04:20 am
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 02:49:30 am »
I dont recall having to change the rawdev parameters. But rawinput does need to be set to 1.

1.0 is for TroubleShooter 1&2
DemulShooter needs the latest one (1.1a)  ;)

It's worth checking which device number the model 2 emulator and Demul shooter / Troubleshooter 2 sees the Aimtraks as. For some reason they see it as device 4 on mine while mame lists it as device 3. When you unpack demul there is a second app under the main one which allows you to check this. You need this info when you install the scripts for the model 2 emulator.

Once you have it set up right, never change USB ports or add new devices. I'm always trying new devices so I end up having to redo the controls every time I play...
Aimtrak ID  or windows GUN ID are not used by Demulshooter, the device is detected by it's hardware "name" and this one doesn't change when you unplug/replug them

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 05:18:14 am »

Aimtrak ID  or windows GUN ID are not used by Demulshooter, the device is detected by it's hardware "name" and this one doesn't change when you unplug/replug them

Cheers for clearing that up, Knew it was a thing somewhere lol

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 10:23:51 am »
I tried the demul emulator with hotd 2 ... always the same problem ... in input test ... gun1 also commands gun2 simultaneously .... including trigger and vice versa, gun2 also commands gun1 .... between the other I tried to move the mouse, the same result, it moves both axes of the two guns .... the same is true of the left button which simultaneously controls the triggers of the two guns .... it is really crazy .... but what problem can it be?  :banghead:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:29:36 am by lay72 »

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 10:27:26 am »

it is a great luck that you are reading my post .... could it be a question related to demulshooter? do you know if this problem has happened to someone else already ... or am i the only one?

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 10:46:13 am »
I reinstalled version 1.1a of model 2 .... I tried to configure the .ini file without demulshooter .... so to try ... same problem .... sights locked on the high corners of the screen .... infamous fate! :badmood:

argonlefou

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 11:01:58 am »
it is a great luck that you are reading my post .... could it be a question related to demulshooter? do you know if this problem has happened to someone else already ... or am i the only one?

Demulshooter has no issue of this kind

I tried the demul emulator with hotd 2 ... always the same problem ... in input test ... gun1 also commands gun2 simultaneously .... including trigger and vice versa, gun2 also commands gun1 .... between the other I tried to move the mouse, the same result, it moves both axes of the two guns .... the same is true of the left button which simultaneously controls the triggers of the two guns .... it is really crazy .... but what problem can it be?  :banghead:
Demulshooter is blocking mouse input in Demul so you should not be able to change any gun sight/button with the mouse
So demulshooter is either not running, or not correctly

I reinstalled version 1.1a of model 2 .... I tried to configure the .ini file without demulshooter .... so to try ... same problem .... sights locked on the high corners of the screen .... infamous fate! :badmood:
The answer is in the question

From what I can read in your messages, I'd say you don't really get what is the real problem : except for MAME (and supermodel) you won't be able to make 2 Aimtraks to work separatelly WITHOUT DemulShooter/TroubleShooter within Demul, Model2 or any other emulators/arcade games as they are mainly coded/patched to be played with a mouse controlling both player
Just like on Windows desktop where all your guns are controlling the same and only cursor

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »

Demulshooter has no issue of this kind

Demulshooter is blocking mouse input in Demul so you should not be able to change any gun sight/button with the mouse
So demulshooter is either not running, or not correctly

The answer is in the question

From what I can read in your messages, I'd say you don't really get what is the real problem : except for MAME (and supermodel) you won't be able to make 2 Aimtraks to work separatelly WITHOUT DemulShooter/TroubleShooter within Demul, Model2 or any other emulators/arcade games as they are mainly coded/patched to be played with a mouse controlling both player
Just like on Windows desktop where all your guns are controlling the same and only cursor
so the problem is that demulshooter is not working ... or is not working properly ... ok, it is already a step forward to know this. I carefully read the instructions relating to demulshooter on your github page and unpacking the zip file of demulshooter, I find  two executable files ... one is Ds_Diag, where I select my two guns and make a diagnosis of the movements and the keys, here the two guns are detected without problems, the other executable is Demulshooter ... a small graphical interface opens, where above I select P1 and P2 configuration and below I select the two devices, related to my guns .... then save the configurations and I close Demulshooter .... this is a way of running Demulshooter ... the other one is with command line (target = etc etc ..), the command line, honestly I wouldn't even know where to insert it ... in short, where am i wrong?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:50:19 pm by lay72 »

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:35 pm »

ok ... finally I solved !!! I had to create a .bat file for every single game .... I really apologize to everyone ... and I also feel a certain shame, sorry! :-[  the problem is that, perhaps not knowing English well, in the installation instructions of demulshooter, I understood that there were two alternative ways of starting demulshooter.exe .... and not a procedure that includes two necessary steps! create a file.bat is necessary to be able to use demulshooter ..... I apologize and thank you infinitely for the precious help!  :-[

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 04:23:27 pm »
Glad you are sorted.

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 07:47:05 pm »
Glad you are sorted.
thank you very much for all your help...mate!  :applaud:

argonlefou

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 03:05:39 am »
You can now enjoy a lot of games  :cheers:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »

I have to use Troubleshooter as none of my gun devices show up in the Demul drop-down menu. In Troubleshooter they show up as device 1, device 2, device 3 etc. That number just happens to differ from their Mame ID.

lay72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 03:17:55 pm »
You can now enjoy a lot of games  :cheers:
Thank you very much mate! :applaud: