Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Big delays ordering the Mega SD  (Read 265 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:20:31 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
Big delays ordering the Mega SD
« on: October 09, 2019, 09:56:07 am »
Just a heads up that the Mega SD is not only super-expensive, but it's also shipping from Andorra, which apparently is causing huge delays in processing orders.

I ordered on Sept. 27th. A week later, I got a tracking number. Apparently, this is the sticking point, because DHL has only a tiny processing facility in Andorra that can reportedly process maybe 45 packages a day, to be sent to Spain to a larger DHL shipping facility. So, it could take a month or more for the tracking to become active as your package sits in an Andorran warehouse.

What this means is that the order could take 6-8 weeks to deliver, despite TerraOnion forcing you to pay 18 Euros for express shipping (although it should be truly express once it leaves Andorra).

You can read about this on TerraOnion's forums, but there are 41 pages to the shipping thread, so I thought I'd save you the trouble.

I'm still excited about getting the Mega SD. I was on the fence, but all the glowing reviews pushed me over the edge.

We'll see how the shipping pans out.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:23 am
Re: Big delays ordering the Mega SD
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:40:58 pm »
This was definitely the experience I had when I ordered mine. I got the tracking info from DHL, but didnít receive the package until almost a month later. Pretty frustrating. :( Apparently T.O. moved to Andorra for lower taxes from what I read. However, they didnít really advertise that fact. Some people in the EU had to pay big customs fees and were really upset about it because they thought T.O. was still in Spain. Thank goodness we donít have to deal with that in the US....

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 11:42:25 am »
This was definitely the experience I had when I ordered mine. I got the tracking info from DHL, but didnít receive the package until almost a month later. Pretty frustrating. :( Apparently T.O. moved to Andorra for lower taxes from what I read. However, they didnít really advertise that fact. Some people in the EU had to pay big customs fees and were really upset about it because they thought T.O. was still in Spain. Thank goodness we donít have to deal with that in the US....

Yeah, I saw the allegations about the tax haven status of Andorra being the reason for the relocation. I'm not really sure how much a tiny business like TerraOnion benefits from that, especially forcing their EU neighbors to pay extra fees and not having reliably fast shipping. Anyway, I haven't seen any response from TerraOnion regarding the matter.

How do you like your Mega SD? It feels like the full functionality of it has yet to be unlocked, with game box previews hopefully eventually available and CD quality audio being added to a range of cartridge titles.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 07:32:34 am »
The Mega SD is a pretty slick little device that seems to work as advertised. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet, but so far I'm pretty impressed. The best part is the fact that I can fire up a CD game and not have to stress about whether it will work or not. I have a model 1 CD unit that can be a bit temperamental. I had to replace the laser when I first got it and now I hold my breath when I load a game because I've had so many failures with the old one. I would love to see game box previews enabled on it. That would be pretty slick. I'm intrigued by the prospect of CD quality audio for non-CD games. Hopefully there will be some motivated users that will create those.  :)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:56:53 am »
My tracking just went active and the Mega SD is scheduled to be delivered this Monday the 21st. It took roughly two and a half weeks for Andorran DHL to process the package, about a month to deliver in total, assuming all goes smoothly from here.

I plan to finally play through the second half of Snatcher, although I think the game is overrated at this point ... too many stupid moments where you have to perform the same actions over and over again without enough signalling when it's the right thing to do. Overall, I would say it's worth playing, especially as a counterpoint to all those FMV stinkers, but it's poorly designed as a game and not worth the money it's going for, IMO.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
Nice! :cheers: Once DHL gets it on a plane, it only takes a day or two to get it to you which is pretty impressive.

I hear all sorts of feedback about Snatcher being one of the best games for the Sega CD. I saw some gameplay footage the other day and just didn't think I could really get into it. I'm more interested in playing through the Working Designs games. I patched them all with the "Unworked Designs" patches that fix various aspects of the games to make them more enjoyable. I particularly want to play Popful Mail. The screenshots I've seen look pretty cool and it has gotten pretty good reviews. I just have to find the time to commit to a longer game like that...