Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame question  (Read 2817 times)

lisowskikevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2020, 07:20:21 am
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
Mame question
« on: October 05, 2019, 08:27:04 am »
Hey guys Iíve noticed last night while playing a game in mame about 20 minutes into the game it kicked me back out to the beginning of the game like I hit the reset button or something on it. It gave some in game rom error message that I canít recall.

Anyone run into this? Iíve dealt with external rom failures before but never an in game error message and odd behaviour. Maybe a corrupt rom?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:06:17 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Mame question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:11:42 am »
Hey guys Iíve noticed last night while playing a game in mame about 20 minutes into the game it kicked me back out to the beginning of the game like I hit the reset button or something on it. It gave some in game rom error message that I canít recall.

Anyone run into this? Iíve dealt with external rom failures before but never an in game error message and odd behaviour. Maybe a corrupt rom?
Some more details might help.   :dunno

1. Which version of MAME?

2. ROMname?

3. CRC for your ROM?

4. Is it set to free play?

5. Can you duplicate the error?

6. Any similar bugs for that ROM/driver reported at MAME Testers?

Scott

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:32:22 pm »
There may be a MAME log event.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:00 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 10:07:38 pm »
Typically when mame throws an error like that you are running a game with an incomplete driver.  Did you check the game info when the rom started?

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 11:11:23 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 05:31:28 am »
Sounds like maybe you simply crashed the game?

Some games have actual game bugs, just like anything else.  There are plenty of examples of 'real game bugs' (note the sheer number of revisions some arcade games have)

Sometimes running things like highscore hacks, or cheats can also break things. (some Taito games have anti-tamper code that is thrown off by this kind of hack)

Also sometimes bootleg sets do this, as the original games had protection that wasn't properly patched out by the bootleggers.

If it's an original set and reproduces consistently (every time in the same place) without you having to do anything that could be considered 'abnormal' to trigger it, then it could be an emulation bug.

Sometimes it can be a genuinely corrupt ROM, eg. with Marvel vs. Capcom in older versions, the parent ROMset was actually a bad dump, this was only found out later, at which point it was replaced.  However if you're running the latest MAME version, and it doesn't report any checksum mismatches while loading you're using the best known dumps at least.

If you're using some ancient version (eg. the 2003 / 2010 builds that some insist on) then the emulation was terrible, all over the shop, and this kind of error was much more frequent due to incomplete protection simulations, bad dumps that hadn't been identified, CPU emulation errors, misguided speedup hacks, limitations of MAME's memory system, and sometimes simply cases of incomplete research etc.  Bonze Adventure for example would quite frequently crash with onscreen messages prior to last year when the protection chip was dumped and emulated.

There are one or two cases where current versions have similar issues (Aaron broke later stages Atari's Rampart last time he did a big Slapstic update, and has never come back to fix it) but those are incredibly rare.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:11:29 am by Haze »

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2020, 07:20:21 am
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 02:04:57 pm »
Thanks guys more than enough info for me to go with. Iím running an older version of mame and I havenít replicated the error thus far.

Iím not too concerned I just thought Iíd throw it out there to see if anyone else has seen it before. As always thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to this thread.

:cheers:

While I have you guys here one more quick question....Iíve been running Windows 7 prof 64 bit intel core 2 duo 2.93 ghz as my engine for hyper spin and my emulators. Any point in upgrading my memory from 8gb to something larger? I do run daphne and model 3 on my machine as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:10:09 pm by lisowskikevin »