Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 20” NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi - Would this be a decent LCD for Groovymame?  (Read 2601 times)

savj14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2020, 07:52:46 pm
https://www.necdisplay.com/p/lcd2090uxi-bk-1

Looking at the specs in the link above I see the following which has me wondering if I'd handle a good range of refresh rates for smooth/perfect scrolling(SF2, MK, etc.) and running most games at the correct refresh rates.

Horizontal: 31.5-91.1 kHz
Vertical: 50-85 Hz

I'm sadly moving away from my current setup using a Wells Gardner D9400 CRT and downsizing which means a smaller cabinet and LCD.

Thoughts on this vs something like a Dell 2007fpb that would have a smaller range and locked at 60hz Vertical?

I'm mainly after a 19-20inch 4:3 LCD.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:05:03 am by savj14 »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
I'm afraid you can't be 100% certain before you actually try.

I could confirm my own LCD's ability to take any v-Hz at native panel resolution 50-75 only after challenging it with proper Groovy+CRT_Emudriver install.

And that didn't go smoothly, Calamity had to remote-test it and modify Groovy so it would skip some odd interlaced modes that were producing black screens (he has my eternal gratitude of course)

Because you know, specs sheets and manuals don't tell nearly enough. Looking  at that NEC;

640 x 400 @ 70-85 Hz
720 x 400 @ 70-85 Hz
640 x 480 @ 60-85 Hz
800 x 600 @ 56-85 Hz
832 x 624 @ 75 Hz
1024 x 768 @ 60-85 Hz
1152 x 864 @ 70-85 Hz
1152 x 870 @ 75 Hz
1280 x 960 @ 60 Hz
1280 x 1024 @ 60-85 Hz
1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

The way it presents modes resembles mine's (ViewSonic in my sig), and that didn't really help, those listed are just samples/examples, there is no warning saying "but it won't take this or that".

That NEC is very old, so I assume very cheap used, you wouldn't lose much.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 03:49:46 am by schmerzkaufen »

savj14

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2020, 07:52:46 pm
Thanks for the reply and info I appreciate it. Normally I would just buy it and try it out but these monitors are medical grade so on eBay they go for around $100-200 range. There's some old new stock for $200 which is a lot for an older monitor but still tempting.

I was hoping for more of a for sure answer considering the price of the monitor but I may have to risk it.

The resolutions they listed seem odd with the refresh rates seemingly locked into place though.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Yeah manufacturer's specs sheets aren't detailed enough, but you have to give it to them that customers using custom free-range drivers and apps are rather rare, if not unique to Groovy + CRT_Emudriver users.

AFAIK I am the only active member here to actually use such a setup, if you expect plenty of community insight on the topic you will be disappointed.

So finding a compatible 'plain' flat panel display for this is indeed a gamble. For ViewSonic I believe all of their models listing at least a 56Hz mode in the manual (.pdf user guide) will do the job. But they don't do 4:3 monitors anymore of course.
What about other manufacturers ? that's not documented...
At least that NEC also lists a 56Hz mode, maybe a clue that it is the same kind of horse as mine. Maybe.

Today people who want proper refreshes support like on ye olde CRTs but on a flat panel, are supposed to opt for a gfx+display setup featuring FreeSync or G-Sync (and soon HDMI VRR for TVs).
So doing it with a normal, plain one is completely a niche-within-the-niche refined hack job, or as Calamity would say "bleeding edge old tech".  8)

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 03:03:59 pm
Re: 20” NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi - Would this be a decent LCD for Groovymame?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 09:00:13 pm »
https://www.necdisplay.com/p/lcd2090uxi-bk-1

Looking at the specs in the link above I see the following which has me wondering if I'd handle a good range of refresh rates for smooth/perfect scrolling(SF2, MK, etc.) and running most games at the correct refresh rates.

Horizontal: 31.5-91.1 kHz
Vertical: 50-85 Hz

I'm sadly moving away from my current setup using a Wells Gardner D9400 CRT and downsizing which means a smaller cabinet and LCD.

Thoughts on this vs something like a Dell 2007fpb that would have a smaller range and locked at 60hz Vertical?

I'm mainly after a 19-20inch 4:3 LCD.

Replying because I have this NEC monitor that I used with my smaller cabinet.... I’ll tell you this; beautiful picture but the input lag is absolutely atrocious. They are not made for this hobby. It made MAME unplayable. Immediately ripped it out and now it’s sitting collecting dust in my basement.

That being said the newest revision may not suffer from this but something to think about.

If you’re ok with a 16:10 monitor I own the Dell U2413 which will yield you a 21.4 inch 4:3 picture and It is very compatible with custom refresh rates. I had rates from 54-61. Input lag is 12ms as well.

RobeeJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:53:12 am
Re: 20” NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi - Would this be a decent LCD for Groovymame?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 03:25:13 am »
I really rate the Eizo Flexscan S2100, I had an earlier version of this monitor for years in my cabinet as it was the perfect size, but the refresh rate wasn't high enough so some games showed after imaging, but the S2100 doesn't and is perfect!

Also you can find it very cheaply on ebay.