Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Screen Wiring  (Read 545 times)

Moleburt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2020, 10:29:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Screen Wiring
« on: August 26, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »
Iím a noob here, Iíve only one control panel before and got my wifeís approval to build a full cabinet, Iím sure many are familiar with the Flynn arcade and Pathways arcade builds that weíre both posted in there forums. Iím taking my inspiration for cabinet design from them, and both of them wires vandal switches into the TVs and mounted them to the cab for a easy way of power the screen on and off. I know how to wire the switch to my pc but have no idea how to go about doing it with the TV and was looking for any guidance i can get, or alternate suggestions for a nice way to power up he screen without having to use the remote. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:32:45 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Screen Wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 04:39:54 pm »
I know how to wire the switch to my pc but have no idea how to go about doing it with the TV and was looking for any guidance i can get, or alternate suggestions for a nice way to power up he screen without having to use the remote.
Depends on the TV.   :dunno

Some models have a BIOS setting that automatically turns the tv on when power is applied.  Sometimes called "hotel mode".
- Some will automatically power on if power was interrupted while it is on.
- For these, use a smart-strip with the computer in the command(?) outlet.  When you turn the computer on, a relay in the strip applies power to the switched outlets.  When you turn the computer off, the relay removes power from the switched outlets.

Other methods for a momentary (non-latching) power button include these.
- Sometimes you can jam in a toothpick to hold the power button down.
- If you can get to the back of the power switch and figure out which pins/traces get shorted when the button is pressed, you can solder the vandal switch leads to those pins/traces.

If none of the above work you can get an "IR blaster" to send the power on/off commands.

Scott

Moleburt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2020, 10:29:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Screen Wiring
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »
Thank you for all the information! I will definitely look into all those options more, the first method sounds like it would be the best/easiest option.