Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BGFX Bugs  (Read 2519 times)

Dracrius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2019, 06:32:53 am
  • Proud Builder of a MAME Cabinet!
BGFX Bugs
« on: August 14, 2019, 02:09:40 pm »
I'm starting to try and improve my cabinets compatibility with GroovyMAME after getting it setup. I want to switch to using BGFX because with D3D unfortunately vertical games are extremely letter boxed with 1941 having almost an inch and a half of black space top and bottom and the wrong aspect ratio. This isn't present with BGFX but unfortunately BGFX runs at roughly 3x speed. I include a picture of the D3D render for comparison especially after some research as it's not even close to the right aspect ratio for vertical games even when set to pixel aspect so BGFX is displaying games more true to their originals other then playing at 3x speed.

While reading the update notes for GroovyMAME I saw that SwitchRes v0.016 alpha 1 (August 2016) added "- (Windows 7+) Real full screen support for BGFX renderer".
So I thought I'd try it instead and 1941 runs full screen and looks better with it as the rederer but my Scanlines stop showing in all games and they seem to run in fast forward.

When I try to google BGFX or even MAME running to fast I get nothing of use and mostly people having issue with BGFX running slow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:28:56 pm by Dracrius »

Dracrius

• Offline Offline
Re: Please Help me stop D3D11 or OpenGL from running Way to Fast!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:44 pm »
I hope some one can help soon I'm making some headway. After giving up on the traditional solutions (Throttle on, syncrefresh off, waitvsync off even different combinations) I started playing with the BGFX Post Processing Options and I've narrowed it down to the bgfx_backend. If I switch to d3d9 games run at standard speed but have horrible streaking issues and this line from corner to corner I'll try and show it in a picture compared to D3D11 which looks right but runs 3x speed. I also tried opengl as the backend but it ran almost the exact same as D3D11. You can actually clearly see streaking in the photo of d3d11 because of how fast it is running.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:29:47 pm by Dracrius »

Dracrius

• Offline Offline
BGFX Bugs
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:17:44 pm »
I'm now considering this a bug and I will include logs for all test cases.

First will be working video (renderer) set to d3d (vertical games far to short unfortunately).
Next is video set to bgfx and bgfx_backend set to d3d11 which results in games running at roughly 3x speed.
Then bgfx_backend set to opengl with the same result and finally bgfx_backend set to d3d9 which results in games playing at the correct speed, vertical games taking up full vertical screen space but unsightly video problems with lines running along one side. The right on vertical games the bottom on horizontal and a line from top left to bottom right in both orientation. I included screenshots on the last post and I'll upload a video of the game running fast as well.

*Edit* Video Demonstration of Game speed with 1941
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:30:56 pm by Dracrius »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: BGFX Bugs
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:19:20 pm »
Are you possibly using Windows 7 with Aero disabled?

If you're considering BFGX, remind your 4350 doesn't support D3D 11.

Anyway, you don't want to use bgfx. You want to stick to D3D9ex and solve the resolution issue (i.e. borders) you mention in one of your many threads.

I'd start by trying -video vesa_768 instead of arcade_15, and if that doesn't fix the issue you'll need a custom preset (I can't help you with that atm since I'm away from home).
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Dracrius

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:41:52 pm »
Are you possibly using Windows 7 with Aero disabled?

If you're considering BFGX, remind your 4350 doesn't support D3D 11.

Anyway, you don't want to use bgfx. You want to stick to D3D9ex and solve the resolution issue (i.e. borders) you mention in one of your many threads.

I'd start by trying -video vesa_768 instead of arcade_15, and if that doesn't fix the issue you'll need a custom preset (I can't help you with that atm since I'm away from home).

I am using windows 7 with Aero disabled why do you ask?

I am also using a PC VGA CRT so if you mean with CRT EmuDriver I'm currently using the Arcade 31.5kHz preset which was by suggestion by another user and gave me 640x480 on 320x240 games which is beautiful so idk which would be equivalent to vesa_768 for my monitor.

Also is it the 4350 that is causing both OpenGL and D3D11 to run at what the log says is 300% speed? I'm guessing there are bugs with the 4350 and d3d11 because dxdiag reports no issues with the video card and reports directx11 as what I have installed.

Thank you, I sware I'm doing my best to research and understand this just unfortunately to no avail. I've been doing nothing but work on this for 4 days and solving the resolution problem was more daunting then trying to slow this down as BGFX improved everything with one setting with a simple draw back that seemed solvable. I apologize if I'm doing things completely wrong but everything I read makes it sound like BGFX is better even the update logs for SuperRes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:11:46 pm by Dracrius »

Dracrius

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 07:28:14 pm »
Ok Enabling Areo fixes BGFX for the most part but really break Maximus Arcades resolution for some reason. My games run at 125% rather then 300% haha but the front end is zoomed in and I cant figure out how to fix that for the life of me. With Areo enabled Maximus seems to follow windows text zoom rule which where set to large. Changing it to small returned the frontend to a normal size. If I cant get that last 25% down I start to understand but I am still quite curious why you say D3D9ex is better? Don't get me wrong I trust you but I dont see why it would be praised in the MAME documentation and GroovyMAME's update notes make it sound very promising as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:58:50 pm by Dracrius »