Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Major new I-PAC firmware release.  (Read 9998 times)

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Major new I-PAC firmware release.
« on: April 12, 2019, 10:39:41 am »
We have a new release which implements mode switching between dual Xinput controllers, dual DirectInput controllers along with the conventional keyboard/mouse/volume/power mode.

In this version, the device appears as a completely different USB device for each of the modes, which avoids any multi-device issues with Retropie.

The selected device mode is switched using a 10-second hotkey press and hold and is maintained after power off/on.

Switching can also be done automatically from WinIPAC including command-line.

There is a PDF information sheet available, and the firmware download for I-PAC 2 on www.ultimarc.com/download.html

Other boards will be rolled out, I already have the Mini-PAC version available for testing on request.

Any comments/feedback welcome!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:41:56 am by AndyWarne »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Major new I-PAC firmware release.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:20:20 pm »
Sweet!

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:56:09 pm »
Very sweet.

adamcian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 12:14:33 am
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 05:24:26 pm »
for the Ultimate I/O board next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2021, 02:34:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:42:50 pm »
Hi Andy, great work!  I can now retire my Pac-Links.  However, I did notice that in XINPUT mode, my attached Spintrak does not work.  You mentioned that there is a way to switch modes from WiniPAC or command line but I cannot see a way.  Is there a way to switch from XINPUT to normal Mode 1 (Keyboard) with a .bat file and then another to switch back?  I am thinking I could just run the .bat file to switch modes when I pick a game that uses the spinner.

Thanks!

Ginsonic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2023, 12:56:04 pm
  • Arcade enthusiast !
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:03:53 am »
Great Andy, looking forward to it.
And... +1 for Ultimate I/O  ;)

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:43:19 pm »
Hi Andy, great work!  I can now retire my Pac-Links.  However, I did notice that in XINPUT mode, my attached Spintrak does not work.  You mentioned that there is a way to switch modes from WiniPAC or command line but I cannot see a way.  Is there a way to switch from XINPUT to normal Mode 1 (Keyboard) with a .bat file and then another to switch back?  I am thinking I could just run the .bat file to switch modes when I pick a game that uses the spinner.

Thanks!

Xinput mode is restricted by the limitations of being a Microsoft proprietary protocol so its not possible to send any data for configuration or mode switching when in this mode. The only way of exiting Xinput mode is using a hotkey to another mode. It also does not support spinner (mouse). Its out of our control unfortunately.

adamcian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:20 pm »
Instead of a basic batch file you could theoretically write one to run an AHK script to do the same to send the hotkey combo to do the switch.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 03:03:05 am »
Instead of a basic batch file you could theoretically write one to run an AHK script to do the same to send the hotkey combo to do the switch.

That would not work though, as the board itself responds to the hotkey, not the host.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 03:56:27 am »
That's cool Andy!  Will the xinput mode support controlling some outputs via rumble?

adamcian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 03:51:30 pm »

That would not work though, as the board itself responds to the hotkey, not the host.

Ah, ok so we’re talking a more firmware-level mechanical response from the board. Could you rig an external physical button/toggle then in-line with those hotkey combos to switch between modes?

It’s literally something I had been toying with the idea of for my Ultimate I/O board. I was considering having an external toggle that controlled a middle man relay that switched the wiring coming from my buttons between sending signal to the Ultimate board vs. a set of pad-hacked XBONE PCBs depending on the game I wanted to play. Just trying to always find the most ‘user-friendly’ option for those who play our systems.

Or I could just hit the hotkey combo as you intended with this exciting release and shut up and be happy... .

jim2011

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2021, 02:34:01 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:04 pm »
Andy, I am having trouble configuring XINPUT for mode 5.  I tried using WinIPAC while in Mode 1 and configuring to both the PacLink controls I had used before (keyboard commands) and also the gamepad commands but neither seems to stick.  When I go to Mode 5, it is just the default XINPUT controls.  I cannot even for example make all directions of P1's joystick go up (just as a test).  Any advice on how to configure using WinIPAC to adjust the controls to be retained when switching to Mode 5?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:47:21 am »

When using WinIPAC for gamepad controls the latest version is needed so if not downloaded within the past 2 weeks it will need to be downloaded again. The assignments for all gamepad controls have internally changed to allow full configuration across both players. Previously gamepad controls were fixed on a player 1/ player 2 basis.

I will look again into data sending in Xinput mode and see if a way can be found to do it.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 03:06:58 pm »

I have the Ultimate I/O version of this firmware available for testing. It should be considered Beta.

I can send via email on request.

andy@ultimarc.com

sdmods

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2019, 02:51:54 pm
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 08:23:25 pm »
Hello

I had a friend purchase the Xtension Arcade Emulator Plus on March 2019.

I purchased the same controller on June 2019 and mine came with mode switch instructions for Dinput and Xinput.

I noticed the mode switch wasn't working on his and curious if all he needs to do is update his firmware? Doesn't need a complete board replacement or anything right?

How easy is it to upgrade? Do I open his arcade stick, take the board up, connect it to USB mini-cable, download the software and just flash the new firmware?

Which firmware should I be using?

Thanks!

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 02:14:53 pm »

The first thing to do would be to find out which I-PAC board it uses, I-PAC 2, Mini-PAC, Ultimate I/O ?

The new firmware is available for all, but you would need to know what it is. The firmware is loaded from a Windows host via the standard USB connection, using the WinIPAC program.

Andy

sdmods

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 07:23:34 pm »

The first thing to do would be to find out which I-PAC board it uses, I-PAC 2, Mini-PAC, Ultimate I/O ?

The new firmware is available for all, but you would need to know what it is. The firmware is loaded from a Windows host via the standard USB connection, using the WinIPAC program.

Andy

I messed up and flashed IPAC2 v1.5 to my MiniPAC. Please provide MiniPAC v1.5 multimode firmware. Why not available on site yet for download?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:27:39 pm by sdmods »

sdmods

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 11:32:18 pm »
Flashed to minipac with gamepad but it doesn't work

Flashed to minipac with no gamepad and I'm back to keyboard only again. 1P has no keyboard input. 2P has keyboard input and so does the other buttons

markiej

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2020, 02:15:56 pm
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 10:53:14 am »
I messed up and flashed IPAC2 v1.5 to my MiniPAC. Please provide MiniPAC v1.5 multimode firmware. Why not available on site yet for download?

I did the same thing with mine - assuming it would work on the minipac (the buttons did, but it killed the optical devices).  Thankfully it was easy to flash back to the standard firmware.  Would be nice to have xinput on the minipac, though they key2xinput (or whatever it's called) works pretty good - sometimes games don't recognize it. 

Also, in all honestly, MS should be providing this functionality in Windows (anything-to-xinput) - you shouldn't have to provide the API through the device itself - the OS should handle it, or at least provide a way to do it.

sdmods

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 08:05:07 pm »

Andy

Andy thanks for 1.52 multimode MiniPAC. WinIPAC is showing properly but it's not changing out of keyboard mode no matter what combo button I use.

EDIT: I think the initial flash of IPAC2 messed up my button config and the IPAC shift switch. It crashes when I try to import existing MiniPAC XML but I'm able to manually edit each switch through WinIPAC I'm just confused. Is there a master diagram for Xtension Arcade Emulation Edition Plus (w/ spinner an track ball). Or some easy way I can import the button config for this?

EDIT 2: I got a hold of recroom masters and paid $25 for them to remote into my system and apply an IPC file to remap everything correctly. Mode switch now works fine.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:51:54 pm by sdmods »