Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trackball problem with just Centipede and Millipede  (Read 590 times)

TylerSDurden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2019, 06:40:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trackball problem with just Centipede and Millipede
« on: March 24, 2019, 05:23:20 pm »
Hi Everyone. This is my first post.  I appreciate any help you can give me.  I'm a complete noob and just built my first cabinet.  Iíve got almost everything running, but Iím having problems with my trackball on just two games, Centipede and Millipede.  If I play Missile Command or some other trackball game, everything works just fine.

The problem Iím having is the player ďfighterĒ moves along the x-axis just fine, but it wants to float to the top of the y-axis as the trackball slows down.  So, if I roll the trackball fast down, it will go down to the bottom.  As the trackball slows, the fighter will move to the top even though the trackball is still moving down.  The fighter won't stay at the bottom of the playing field.

Iíve looked everywhere and canít find a solution.  Iíve tried to change the settings for that specific machine, but nothing I do fixes the issue.  Has anyone run into this?  Anyone have any recommendations on what I should try?

My set up is:

Attract mode with RocketLauncher
Centipede revision 4 & Millipede 1982
Mame64 Ė Mame .185
Ultimarc Trackball running through an Ipac Ultimate board
Mame.ini has mouse enabled multi-mouse enabled
I have set configured the trackball and it works on other games.

It is so frustrating to be so close.  Thanks in advance for you help.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2019, 01:25:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Trackball problem with just Centipede and Millipede
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:27:53 am »
TylerSDurd
It sounds like the optical reader/board is not keeping up with heavy spins. I have a similar problem (though not as bad as  you describe) with a Happ trackball. What's unusual is this behavior tends to happen with Golden Tee on big slams but never on slower trackball games like your describing. It's probably unrelated. Other than that I don't know.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:14:54 pm »
Is the trackball itself doing the same movement? If it's a Happ, that's why.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2019, 02:18:16 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:47 am »
The problem Iím having is the player ďfighterĒ moves along the x-axis just fine, but it wants to float to the top of the y-axis as the trackball slows down.  So, if I roll the trackball fast down, it will go down to the bottom.  As the trackball slows, the fighter will move to the top even though the trackball is still moving down.  The fighter won't stay at the bottom of the playing field.

If you have an analog joystick on this machine, make sure it is centering properly.  If you also have the joystick mapped for movement in those games, and any direction is registering, you would see "crawl" in that direction.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:24:33 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 08:15:23 am »
I remember something like that - the default Mame config has the joystick setup for Centipede  ..You have to go into the machine settings to take those out.

You need to also set trackball sensitivity too..  Mine was too high - I got to a real machine and found that the range was 3 mushrooms (outside to outside) on the x axis if you move the ball from your finger at the left intersection of ball/mounting plate to right intersection ball/mounting place. (hopefully that makes sense)

I had been playing mine with near 7 mushroom range - which made it ultra sensitive..  now that mine is like an original... my timing is all messed up..

Finally - make sure your real mouse is turned off and not bumping around  ;)
My Arcade Build and other projects here:
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/